VC 2010 Calendar

Link to buy calendars: http://www.zazzle.com/viachicagostore*

After seeing a great suggestion from dixiecupdrinker in this thread, Brianne and I have kicked around some ideas (we've given ourselves all of 30 minutes to flesh out this idea, so it may evolve as we get replies in this thread :lol) for a VC calendar for 2010.

As previously stated in the t-shirts/other merch thread, we don't want to be in the business of competing with Wilco for any merchandise sales. So, even though they're not putting out a calendar this year, we're still going to play it safe and just go with a calendar that showcases VC's all-around photography skills, not just concert pics. This thread has some really beautiful shots, and I know lots of VCers have posted other great pictures in other threads, too.

So, if you've got a shot you'd like to have included in a VC calendar, please post it in this thread. A few things to think about:

• Please submit only images that you took, you own the rights to, and you're willing to let VC distribute freely, as part of our fund-raising.
  • Please get your pictures in by no later than next Friday, December 11. I'll try to get the calendar assembled by Saturday night, which should still allow plenty of time for shipping before the new year.
  • If we get more submissions than we can use for the calendar, the moderating staff reserves the right to pick our favorites. We don't want to create any hard feelings, but there are so many talented VCers out there...
  • Please note the image-size recommendations for calendars, from zazzle (if your image doesn't meet those criteria, we'll work with it as much as possible):

300ppi

Two page: Standard image area is 11x8.5: 2200 x 1700 pixels

Huge image area is 14.25x11: 2850 x 2200 pixels

Small image area is 7x5.5: 1400 x 1100 pixels

Single Page: Standard image area is 11x8.5: 2200 x 1700 pixels

Small image area is 7x5.5: 1400 x 1100 pixels

To fill the full area, we recommend that you use images that are equal to or larger than the recommended sizes. You can design your calendar with images much smaller than these recommended sizes and place them anywhere on the calendar.

OK, show us what you've got!

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh wow, Charles! Your photos deserve an entire calendars to themselves.

I keep my pics on flickr - there are too many to possibly wade through, but here are a couple sets I've made from some favorites:

Travel

3628151418_1b433389e3.jpg 2423388526_fd904044fc.jpg

2423375308_d5af01a2a5.jpg

It turns out I like water.

Music

2156050683_baf4caa990.jpg

1456325607_45b8b66deb.jpg

(though it's probably bad taste to have a Ryan Adams concert photo in a VC calendar anyway)

I don't have any images to submit, but please please PLEASE have "The Monkey" in this calendar.

He is the icon of this whole place, if you ask me.

what is the distribution of this calendar? i'm wondering if i would need any model releases for concert photos.

We'll be selling this through our zazzle store (http://www.zazzle.com/viachicagostore* [please copy and paste, including the *, to link to the store]). It's a fundraiser for the site, but we're not a non-profit, if that makes any difference.

While I love to check out everyone's concert pics, I think I'd be a little bit iffy about including them in the calendar (see notes above, we're specifically not doing this as a Wilco calendar). Non-Wilco concert shots are probably OK, but if you've got anything non-music-related, I'd definitely love to see those. :yes

Thanks!

I don't have any images to submit, but please please PLEASE have "The Monkey" in this calendar.

He is the icon of this whole place, if you ask me.

I'd love to see a monkey t-shirt design :twitchsmile but I'm not so sure about putting him in the calendar. I think there's an unresolved question over ownership of that image; I'd hate to see the whole calendar pulled from our store because of that.

But we would definitely take a chance on a stand-alone item! Who's going to design a monkey-themed apron?

OK, so far this calendar is going to be made up of 3 of Preferred B's pics, and 9 by Charles. Which is totally fine by me :thumbup but really, doesn't anyone else want to participate?

I'm behind on PMs, but will start savaging my way through the photography thread tonight.

Nope! Depending on how we end up formatting this thing, we may ask the photographers to provide a little background, when/where/etc. on their pictures, so we can include that. Or, we may just let the pics speak for themselves. :yes