Jeff Tweedy at the Lincoln Theatre, Washington DC, 7 Dec 2010

Hi, everyone. Here's the setlist for the show last night. I have some of the funnier banter in ["brackets"] below.

Jeff Tweedy

Lincoln Theatre

Washington, DC

Tuesday 07 December 2010

Set List

---------

Spiders (Kidsmoke)

I Am Trying to Break Your Heart

One Wing

Via Chicago

Mountain Bed ["...9 verses. you think I could do this."]

Muzzle of Bees

["The Rally to Restore Sanity didn't really work..."]

You're Not Alone

The Ruling Class

["false endings and bad lyrics"]

["Thank you guys for being nerds!"]

Pieholden Suite

How to Fight Loneliness

["Is the request sign on?"]

I'll Fight

Hummingbird

Impossible Germany

Jesus, Etc.

ELT ["flawless performance!"]

I'm The Man Who Loves You

--------

Shot in the Arm

At My Window, Sad and Lonely (with Pat and John)

["We only know a few songs...so shut up!"]

Passenger Side (with The Autumn Defense)

California Stars (with The Autumn Defense)

Acuff Rose

Notes:

------

ELT was the most requested song from the website. There were only a couple of flubs, notably in Mountain Bed. However, Jeff commented the song wasn't on the original set list. Pieholden Suite was a real treat as I don't recall that song played live very often. The biggest highlight for me was Acuff Rose: Jeff unplugged his guitar, walked to the edge of the stage, and sang without a microphone. The theatre was stone quiet and the tune was gorgeous.

The crowd, from my seat, was pretty quiet the entire show. I saw one of the concert staff tell someone to turn off their camera but no other major offenses. The biggest complain I have was someone decided to change all the trash bags in the balcony during How to Fight Loneliness and I'll Fight. It took them about 5 minutes and a lot of rustling. People started yelling at the person to stop and I think Jeff figured people were yelling requests from the balcony.

I also saw someone taping from the back. Hopefully the recording pops up online soon.

I'll see you in Charlottesville!

That was a terrific show in a really cool theater. I'd never been to the Lincoln before (really had never heard of it before). The whole setting was great. With the exception of the cleaning crew noise which was absurd, that was by far the quietest/most respectful crowd I've been to in many, manyyears. I found myself whispering to my seatmate *between* songs during the Autumn Defense set so as to not make too much noise!

Very enjoyable show. Very mellow, but enjoyable. I probably would have been upset with the length if I didn’t know what to expect from reading reviews in here. And I know I’m going to sound like a selfish jerk (hey, you read my bio!) by saying this, but the set list for me was a little lacking. Too many mellow songs, too many songs I’ve heard a million times and a few key misses from previous shows like Radio King and What’s the World Got In Store. But I understand he can’t play all my faves every night.

Acuff –Rose was truly a magical moment and probably the highlight of the night. I’ve heard the unamplified versions on various bootlegs and it’s never really hit me, but seeing him do it live was fantastic. The audience was spellbound. It was a throwback to some minstrel tent show from 200 years ago. There was magic in the air.

As usual, he was charming and hilarious. I’d gladly pay to see him do a spoken word tour.

I’ll try to fill in some of the comments from the above post……

Remember the Mountain Bed – he did a major lyrical flub in the second verse and sort of stopped the song (kept playing, but began talking to the audience) and said, “I got cocky. It wasn’t even on the set list, but I thought I’d do it. Nine verses? No problem”

Ruling Class – he introduced it by saying he hopes Mavis never hears this song or doesn’t listen to the lyrics. Something like that. At the end, he did the “ending” and everyone clapped and then he did the “real ending” after the applause died down. He said something about doing that every time…..”they’re going to clap at the false ending and I should just end it, but I don’t. I do the real ending and it screws everyone up. I don’t know why I do that.” That was gist of what he said, but not a direct quote.

He also complained about the “turn your frown upside down” line. He said something about how he never liked the line, but since he wrote it all the “song nerds” would get upset with him if he didn’t sing it. He then put on a nerdy voice and said something like, “Ah, Jeff, ah, there was a line in the Ruling Class……” and then he trailed off to our laughter.

At some point between songs, someone shouted a request. Then another. Then another. Then a few more. Jeff sort of turned and looked behind him and said, “Is the ‘Request’ sign on?” Then he said, these are all requests.

ELT – apparently he put the capo on the wrong fret so when he was playing open chords everything was fine, but when he slid up the neck to do barre chords he landed on the normal fret, which was now one fret off because he put the capo in the wrong place. He made a weird face and looked back at the capo as if to say, what are you doing there? At the end he made the “flawless performance” comment. He also said, “the good news is, I now know I can sing that song a half-step up”.

At My Window, Pieholden, How To Fight Loneliness, ELT... Looks like a great setlist! What roles did John and Pat play for At My Window?

At My Window, Pieholden, How To Fight Loneliness, ELT... Looks like a great setlist! What roles did John and Pat play for At My Window?

They both played acoustic guitars and sang backup vocals. Weird to see John bassless the entire night.

Pat played piano (keyboards) on Passenger Side too.

At some point between songs, someone shouted a request. Then another. Then another. Then a few more. Jeff sort of turned and looked behind him and said, “Is the ‘Request’ sign on?” Then he said, these are all requests.

Those weren't requests, those were people in the balcony trying to tell the staff who was changing the trash bags in the middle of the songs to shut up. The dude doing it was making so much noise. Honestly, I didn't understand how it took more than 30 seconds to change the bags, but it persisted for two songs (as noted above).

That's crazy/funny/sad. I was down on the floor and we all heard something going on up there. Half of the floor was looking up and back trying to figure out what the commotion was. I thought someone was getting thrown out......very strange since it was such a mellow crowd, but obviously that wasn't the case.

I think the person changing the trash was just f'ing with us after everyone was "shushing". It does not take that long to change a trash bag. And then they did the one on the otherside! Hope that doesn't turn up in that recording if that ever sees the light of day.

I was expecting Jeff to goto 11 but I guess his solo shows are shorter? Not saying I'm upset with the length, just expected a Wilco lengthed show.. Saw Pat in the lobby after the show, nice beard!

That's crazy/funny/sad. I was down on the floor and we all heard something going on up there. Half of the floor was looking up and back trying to figure out what the commotion was. I thought someone was getting thrown out......very strange since it was such a mellow crowd, but obviously that wasn't the case.

They changed the trash cans on the floor too. It was insane. The quietest audience I can recall, and there's trash-can commotion from the venue staff.

Maybe I'll complain to the theater--not that they can do anything about last night, but someone really should get popped upside the head for deciding to empty the trash in the middle of the show. Change it between acts, change it during the encore break if you really must (although it's not like people were filing by and dropping trash in there during the show), but not right in the middle of the show.

The biggest complain I have was someone decided to change all the trash bags in the balcony during How to Fight Loneliness and I'll Fight. It took them about 5 minutes and a lot of rustling. People started yelling at the person to stop and I think Jeff figured people were yelling requests from the balcony.

I was in the balcony so I could obviously hear the rustling/commotion, but I didn't know that was what was going on. WTF?

...a lesser-known, unsuccessful TLC album from the late 1990's.

:lol

I meant to post this earlier -- but the Washington Post pop critic, Chris Richards, posted an interesting bit yesterday asking people to explain Tweedy's appeal. Plus there's an option to vote for whether you're the "man/woman who loves Tweedy/Wilco" or Tweedy/Wilco = Bore on Bore.

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/clicktrack/2010/12/please_explain_to_me_jeff_twee.html

I loved Acuff Rose as well and it was defnitely the highlight.

Also was really, really, psyched to hear Through My Window Sad and Lonely.

In absolutely love that tune and thought I might not ever hear it performed live as Wilco does not play it too often. Thought it was pretty well played considering they probably don't play it together all too often.

Pieholden was also a nice surprise, and I love Mountain Bed in any form.

Not a big fan of Impossible Germany solo acoustic. The only reason to hear that song is Nel's solo and obviously that was absent. Tweedy made a funny comment that "I thought about whistling Nel's guitar solo, but we don't have all night".

Was pleasantly surprised at how quiet and polite the crowd was -- there were a few "sshhh" -ers that were a little over the top IMHO. Some people take it a little far and become as much of a distraction as the idiots who are talking.

Just my .02

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...