Hummingbird

Thank You Friends [big Star]

In The Street [big Star]

--------------------

The Late Greats

I'm A Wheel

Complete setlist, as played:

To quote Judge Smails in Caddyshack, "Well....we're waiting???"

Great show, we left during Hummingbird...around the 30 song mark maybe???

Know they played "In the Street" as a tribute to Alex Chilton, heard it in parking garage next to the venue.

To quote Judge Smails in Caddyshack, "Well....we're waiting???"

Great show, we left during Hummingbird...around the 30 song mark maybe???

Know they played "In the Street" as a tribute to Alex Chilton, heard it in parking garage next to the venue.

Sorry, I guess you were just a little too quick in your reply! The complete setlist is up there now. And they also did Thank You Friends in memory of Alex (as they've done every show on this tour). But they had done In The Street just once before, I'm pretty sure. It was in Memphis last October, but Jody Stephens played drums on it then. So tonight's performance was the first with Glenn on percussion. As in Memphis, John and Pat shared lead vocals and Jeff took lead guitar duties.

It was a total audible, by the way. Not on the printed setlist. Jeff just sort of turned to Glenn after Thank You Friends and said something like, "Do you want to do In The Street?" I'm glad Glenn did. :thumbup

Perhaps as a result (or maybe not), they also slightly changed up their planned encore. The printed list had Red-Eyed and Blue>I Got You (At The End of the Century) and I'm A Wheel. But they nixed Red-Eyed/I Got You and did The Late Greats instead.

Anyway, we got a total of 35 songs tonight in a fun show that came in just shy of three hours. It also contained perhaps the loosest version of You Never Know that will ever take place. Poor Nels; I think even he had to laugh at himself on that one. :lol

Perhaps as a result (or maybe not), they also slightly changed up their planned encore. The printed list had Red-Eyed and Blue>I Got You (At The End of the Century) and I'm A Wheel. But they nixed Red-Eyed/I Got You and did The Late Greats instead.

Aw. Red-Eyed and Blue>I Got You was really the only thing on my wish list these past two nights. Still a great show, though.

that'll be the longest show since when the power went off a few years back?

Now that was a crazy — and great — show (the last night of the Kicking Television run at the Vic in '05)! I think that's what you're referring to anyway, Froggie? But in terms of length and number of songs, I think they've actually done longer on this "Evening With..." tour. :thumbup

They would wait until the night after I leave the tour to do "In the Street." Now if they do "September Gurls" next I'll truly be bent out of shape. Good luck with the rest of those tertiary market GA shows Paul.

Came in from out of town - loved your venue Scranton. Nice old hall. As for the lighting design (except for the acoustic set) - not so much. I'd like to see all the guys more clearly more often. That complaint aside - good show. Nice mix. Seen Shot In The Arm many times. That was a powerful presentation. The nod they're giving to Chilton is heartwarming. Probably the most powerful presentation his material has ever received.

Aw. Red-Eyed and Blue>I Got You was really the only thing on my wish list these past two nights. Still a great show, though.

Red Eyed & Got You were on the setlist in the encore but not played. Can't Stand It & I'll Fight were also on it but not played.

Very cool venue. Decided at 4 yesterday afternoon to make the drive from Philly after I saw TM posted some more tickets. Absolutely exhausted, not sure I have the energy for 2 more shows, these guys are incredible going for 3 hours like they do. Highlights for me were the ooh/aahs of Summerteeth into the drum opening of Misunderstood, the new arrangement of Spiders, Not for The Season, and Nels fucking up You Never Know and the big kick Jeff and John got out of it. That second Big Star cover with John and Pat taking lead vox was awesome as well.

huge fan, seen wilco live more than a dozen times; chicago (all residency shows and the awesome millennium park show), st louis (back to back to back), tanglewood (bso venue), just to name a few of the best shows of my wilco life. regrettably, last nights scranton show will be on the bottom of my list. really looked forward to this show, but left disappointed. the venue was oversold, the sound was mediocre at best, and most of the crowd was talking the whole time, which really sucked for those of us that know how crowd attentiveness plays a direct role in the bands performance. i wasn't feeling it last night, and i'm pretty sure, neither was wilco.

sorry wilco, it was my first trip to scranton, too.

Now that was a crazy — and great — show (the last night of the Kicking Television run at the Vic in '05)! I think that's what you're referring to anyway, Froggie? But in terms of length and number of songs, I think they've actually done longer on this "Evening With..." tour. :thumbup

FTR, Wilco regularly played 2.5 hour shows "back in the day." It was a topic of conversation between Stan the sound guy & I last night. Great to see these long shows w/ the acoustic segue, for sure.

In terms of performance and sound, this was one of the best Wilco shows I've seen. I was over on Nels' side, but I was able to hear every instrument and John and Pat's vocals very clearly. The crowd around me was pretty awful for the first half of the show, though. A drunk couple decided right before the show started to push their way down front. They almost started a fight with a guy next to me, then spent the first two songs forcing all of their weight against me until they wedged themselves in front of me. Maybe six or seven songs into the show they got into another confrontation that almost turned into a fight because they forced their way between a couple. I stepped between them and told the guy to get security instead of throwing a punch and getting kicked out. Then as the acoustic set started, the woman moved over to be with her boyfriend again, giving up her good spot to the rude couple, and they started having a huge argument because she let them have her spot. The whole thing was so aggravating. I like to think that karma catches up with rude people like that eventually, but had I been able to get a security guard's attention, I would've tried to get them tossed. They did settle down for the second half of the show, but it was ridiculous.

Annoying crowd drama aside, I had a great evening. I was hoping for Ashes, but I knew since they'd played it Monday and Tuesday that I wouldn't hear it. At Least That's What You Said and Misunderstood were both stellar, though, and I was amazed by the quick and smooth transition from Poor Places to the acoustic set. Nels was using one of his effects boxes to kick up a huge clatter of noise as the stage was mostly dark, and in what seemed like barely more than the normal ending of the song, the crew had set up the acoustic equipment. Someday Soon was a pleasant surprise, but Laminated Cat was definitely the highlight of the show for me.

Looking forward to Philadelphia next weekend, though I'm glad I have a week to rest up. I don't know how the band does this long of a set with barely any rest--I was exhausted after just standing and watching it!

the venue was oversold

I guess you weren't at the Starland Ballroom NJ show in '06. Last night was positively roomy by comparison. It was certainly less crowded than sell-outs at the Electric Factory in Philly and many other venues I frequent.

the sound was mediocre at best

Where were you standing? In the middle, 8 feet in front of the soundboard I'd have given it a 7 out of 10.

for those of us that know how crowd attentiveness plays a direct role in the bands performance. i wasn't feeling it last night, and i'm pretty sure, neither was wilco.

Tweedy was in as good a mood last night as I have ever seen him. Although you can get a good show from the surly Tweedy too (see the above Starland show). There was some occasional chatter near me but nothing out of the ordinary. It's 2010 in the USA, a large percentage of the sub-30 population appears to have the attention span of a flea. If you're expecting a crowd quiet in rapt attention, it's not going to happen.

My bet is that if you had moved to a different spot (WRT the PA and the chatty neighbors) your outlook might have been completely different.

I went to the show from out of town last night and had a really good time. The band played well, the sound was pretty good and the crowd was, uh, enthusiastic? I think it must have varied widely based on where you were in the crowd. There were a few idiots around me, dead center halfway between the stage and the soundboard, but nothing too terrible. The band were smiling and laughing the whole night so it certainly seemed like they had a good time. "In The Street" was a nice surprise and they played a few songs that I hadn't heard in a while. It wasn't the greatest Wilco show I've ever seen, but it was very good and well worth the trip to Scranton. It's kind of hard to complain when you get a three hour show with that setlist.

Only my third show, so I guess my impressions are suspect...but I thought Jeff was in a very dark mood for the first seven, eight songs. He came out that way, so I'm not sure how much it can be blamed on the crowd. Maybe when you've done thousands of shows you can instantly spot the signs of a long evening. Or maybe they're doing killer shows night after night and sometimes it takes awhile to get going. There were portions of the show where I was embarrassed for some of the people around me. Way too much chatter. I uttered one "shut up" myself when a drunk forced his way past us during what otherwise would have been the highlight of the show for me -- my first live experience of "She's a Jar." He wrecked that moment, but otherwise I was able to get past most of the noise. Hopefully the band could as well. Although hearing that they dropped a few songs from their planned set makes me wonder.

Hey, couple from Harrisburg! If you're out there! I'm the old bald guy from Syracuse. Yes, "She's a Jar" should have been my high point -- even though I was on the wrong side of the "Summerteeth -- A Ghost is Born" debate. Give a holler if you're out there!

Great show and a KILLER set. Loved Laminated Cat with the full band! Gotta say, some of the crowd around me got on my nerves a lot. At a general admission show I have no problem with folks pushing up to get a better view but there were a bunch of dopes around me that pushed their way up, knocked my beer out of my hand (without apology) and then proceeded to talk loudly and spend more times watching their cell phones then the show - definitely got on my nerves, especially during the acoustic set when I had to try my hardest to drown out their talking just to hear the music.

I can understand that there's always gonna be a few people at the show who don't really pay attention or aren't as big of a fan as I am (why you'd pay to go to a show and talk is beyond me, though) but it really gets my goat when people jockey for a good spot in the crowd only to ruin it for those around them. I let out a good cheer when Jeff called the talkers out.

This was my 3rd Wilco show after Rochester and Lewiston, and I have to say it was by far my favorite, BUT that was greatly influenced by the fact I was in the front row for the first time ever directly in front of Nels. To see him in action all night from that close up just confirms to me exactly how awesome of a guitar player he is, I doubt I'll ever see a better one. It was a great setlist, the crowd where I stood was mostly decent, and I loved hearing the acoustic middle set in between, not to mention the rather loose take on "You Never Know" which had everyone cracking up so much I thought the whole song was going to fall apart. I looked over at Jeff and he just shrugged at me with a big grin on his face, it was a light moment in a great evening. Hope the soundboard recording surfaces at some point!

Nels somehow just totally missed the solo. At first I thought he was having problems with the top half of that double-necked guitar, but from the way he was cracking up, it looked like he'd just zoned out and forgot where he was in the song. He tried to save it, but it was just too late, so he stepped back from his pedals and just played the lower half of guitar. Jeff was really busting his chops after the song was over and there were a lot of drunk "We still love you Nelllllllls!" shouts from the crowd.

It was a great show.. met some great people waitng in line and was blown away be the performance. At Least that's What You Said was a hightlight -- as was Jeff's "Douche-baginess" comment.

I wonder if people act like jerks (see fella who kept shouting "Spiders" after they played a wonderful acoustic rendition) cos they know it gets Jeff's goat and he'll pay attention to them?

Ready for nights 2 & 3 in Montclair!

Another nice moment I caught. I was right in front by the big security guard, and after Misunderstood, he turned and said something to Jeff, did not hear, but must have been along the lines of "That was AWESOME!!!" -- to which Jeff replied, "Thank You." Never saw anything like that happen before