Wilco - The National - Richmond, VA 3/29/10

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A set list in real time...... wow. I can not think of anything more annoying than sitting next to some geek who has to bust out his iphone every song to tweet the set list. Can't people just listen and enjoy.

Some folks appreciate it. I can think of FAR more annoying things than a harmless text message like the chatty crowds that tend to show up at Wilco shows. I promise that i'll keep my phone tapping to a very quiet patter.

:)

A set list in real time...... wow. I can not think of anything more annoying than sitting next to some geek who has to bust out his iphone every song to tweet the set list. Can't people just listen and enjoy.

Instead of doing any sort of tweeting during the show I think I am going to drink an absurd amount of Alcohol, shout out loud obnoxious requests for Jesus Etc., and vomit in the middle of the Pit!!!! This isn't more annoying than a iphone is it????

Instead of doing any sort of tweeting during the show I think I am going to drink an absurd amount of Alcohol, shout out loud obnoxious requests for Jesus Etc., and vomit in the middle of the Pit!!!! This isn't more annoying than a iphone is it????

Only if you vomit on your iPhone and the camera goes off.

Just got back from the show, but unfortunately, I'm no help. I can never remember setlists. They opened with Wilco (the song), followed by I Am Trying to Break Your Heart, and after that I can't tell you. They played Shake It Off which was the most requested song for the night. Jeff gave one of the gift certificates to the guy who had requested it and asked him if he was a savant, as he had requested it at least 30 times and "no one likes that song...except for Glenn." Jeff seemed to hate the Richmond crowd for the first half of the show. Lots of bad looks at people and even telling someone to shut up mid song. Luckily I wasn't around any loud obnoxious people, although two drunkards wandered their way over and talked through Deeper Down until enough people told them to shut up and leave us a lone and they wandered away. They started a few minutes after 8 and ended at 11:10 on the dot. My 11th show and definitely one I'll remember.

They played Shake It Off which was the most requested song for the night. Jeff gave one of the gift certificates to the guy who had requested it and asked him if he was a savant, as he had requested it at least 30 times and "no one likes that song...except for Glenn."

AND ME.

Here are songs I can remember they played...in no order

Wilco the song

IATTBYH

Bull Black Nova

Jesus, etc.

Ashes of American Flags

Heavy Metal Drummer

ITMWLY

Poor Places

Deeper Down

One Wing

You Never Know

I'll Fight

Can't Stand It

She's a jar

How to fight loneliness

Shot in the Arm

Spiders

Handshake Drugs

Company In My Back

I'm a wheel

Theologians

You are my face

Impossible Germany

Side with the seeds

Shake it Off

Hate it here

Walken

California Stars

Someday some morning sometime

Passenger Side

Misunderstood

Monday

Forget the flowers

outta mind outta sight

laminated cat

thank you friends

i probably missed some. but maybe not?

Ashes of American Flags

Poor Places

I'll Fight

Can't Stand It

She's a jar

How to fight loneliness

Company In My Back

Theologians

Shake it Off

Someday some morning sometime - 1st time band?

Passenger Side

Misunderstood

laminated cat

thank you friends

:worship

I may be that guy in MA or NH who requests Hotel Arizona 30 times.

Terrific show. I got in line around 1:30 in the afternoon, and ended up (along with the other 8 people) getting a VIP early access wristband, so I could go home and still get in before anyone else. So if anyone on here was a part of that group, I was wearing a tan jacket. I remember standing next to Greg throughout the show. Hey, perhaps?

Anyway, fantastic setlist. By my rough count, at least 15 songs played that I hadn't heard at the other two Wilco shows I've seen. A few jackasses in the crowd, and Jeff seemed a bit distant at first. But he warmed up eventually.

And I got everyone but Jeff to sign my ticket afterwards. Wonderful evening. I'll probably remember more things to post about later.

All right, all right... :ninja

—"The Price Is Right" theme intro music—

Wilco (the song)

IATTBYH

Bull Black Nova

You Are My Face

One Wing

A Shot in the Arm

Shake It Off

I'll Fight

Company In My Back

Handshake Drugs

Side With The Seeds

Deeper Down

Impossible Germany

Poor Places>

----into acoustic set----

Spiders (Kidsmoke)

She's A Jar

Forget The Flowers

Someday, Some Morning, Sometime

Laminated Cat

How To Fight Loneliness

California Stars

Passenger Side

Outta Mind (Outta Sight)>

----out of acoustic set----

Misunderstood

Can't Stand It

Jesus, etc. (crowd singalong)

Ashes of American Flags

You Never Know

Hate It Here

Theologians

Walken

I'm The Man Who Loves You

Monday

Thank You Friends [big Star]

----------------------------

Heavy Metal Drummer

I'm A Wheel

It was 36 total songs and 3 hours on the dot. Certainly one of the longest shows I've ever seen. The Sesame street outtasite transitioning from the acoustic back to the full band for misunderstood was a knockout. Paul (who would surely know) seemed to think it was a first for someday, some morning, sometime. it's funny 'cause I recognized it immediately even though I was scrambling my brain trying to remember if I'd only heard it solo. So that was very cool, can't stand it, not for the season, and monday were other certain highlights. And it's nice to hear the old spiders again after so many years. Also as has been reported already the owner of the venue gave the entire early ga line numbered wristbands, told us to do as we please and that he would get us in extra early without having to wait all day. That was a first. good solid show with jeff smiling much of the night. it may have been worth the 13 year wait for richmond! Here's hoping for another much sooner.

Hell of a show. Certainly on par with the October 2007 Charlottesville show. Hearing "Laminated Cat" was a real treat.

Yeah, I meant to say that hearing Laminated Cat (er, Not For The Season) again, especially with Glenn's drumming, was fantastic. That's a song that just needs the percussion! And Ashes was stellar last night; Nels' playing was beautiful on that one. To quote a friend, "Ashes ripped." :thumbup

And yeah, it was the first full-band performance of Someday, Some Morning, Sometime. Mike pointed that out to me, actually. It wasn't played at the Residency.

Here's a question for someone. What other songs are left that have never been played live by the full band? I can think of Solitaire off the top of my head. I'm sure they're mostly b-sides at this point. The only possibilities since the residency are stray Mermaid Avenue songs, b-sides, and ... Solitaire.

Now that I'm thinking about it, Solitaire would be great to hear in the stripped-down set. Maybe ... in Montclair?

Just wanted to add that it was so great to hear "Thank You Friends". I had a conversation with a friend about how I thought Wilco might start covering a Chilton song as a tribute, and that is one of my favorites.

Just a great, great show. Come back sooner than 13 years please! It was pretty nice being able to get to and from the show in 5 minutes.

Poor Places>

----into acoustic set----

Spiders (Kidsmoke)

She's A Jar

Forget The Flowers

Outta Mind (Outta Sight)>

----out of acoustic set----

Misunderstood

This type of run is why I am flying into Pit for 24 hours. I thought the residency could never be topped but playing in and out of a full band acoustic set in the middle of a rock show was too intriguing to miss. I have driven a couple hundred miles round trip to see Wilco, I have arranged vacations around shows in Red Rocks, Austin, LA and Milwaukee (not really a vacation but a great chance to get to Milwaukee public market) but I have never day tripped via plane to see one show. Only for Wilco and only because they are so inventive!