Jeff Tweedy -- 3/13/10, Chicago, IL

Here was the complete setlist, as played, for Night 2 at the Vic:

Remember The Mountain Bed

The Community Song (take 1)

Solitaire

Someday Soon

Simple Twist of Fate [bob Dylan]

Single Ladies [beyoncé] (first few lines sung, followed by a dramatic reading of remaining lyrics :thumbup)

Promising

Shakin' Sugar :dancing

Strangers [The Kinks]

Wait Up

Be Not So Fearful [bill Fay]

Chinese Apple

The Late Greats

Reservations

Laminated Cat

The Lonely 1

Box Full of Letters

The Ruling Class

--------intermission/pee break--------

The Community Song (take 2; sung three times)

Wilco (the song)

The Long Cut

---Q&A period 1---

new song-You're Not Alone [written for Mavis Staples]

Blasting Fonda

---"Jeremy's $5 G-chord" interlude---

---Q&A period 2---

Summer Teeth

Forget The Flowers

Kamera

Passenger Side

The Community Song (take 3)

California Stars

Jesus, etc.

I'll Fight

Poor Places

Fake Plastic Trees [Radiohead]

I'm The Man Who Loves You

---------------------------------------

Someone Else's Song (performed at edge of stage w/o PA system)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Single Ladies.

I present that without comment.

I was just about to post a topic, haha. Here's the text that's up in another tab:

Absolutely amazing show tonight. This was my second year attending a Vic fundraiser Tweedy solo shows, first was last year.

Jeff had some great interaction with the crowd, at one point taking questions from the audience (like Shellac!), and someone in the balcony asked if he could give Jeff five dollars if he could come down to the stage and strum a G chord. Jeff obliged, and made $5. He also talked about how sometimes it's hard for the audience to tell when he's kidding, had an almost Michael Richards moment, fielded a question about Jay Bennett (oof), said he doesn't really use his iPod, and explained how his favorite songs are the ones that he's currently working on in his head at a given moment.

Guest Runaway Jim

It was a great show. I'm really glad I decided to go at the last minute. 3rd year going, 3rd great show.

I was reminded of one thing last night: Jeff can really play the shit out of an acoustic guitar. I envy his talent.

Unbelievable show, with a second to none atmosphere. As much as I love the premise of the first 30 fans getting their request makes you wonder what Jeff wanted to play but couldn't/didn't. This is far more and evening with Jeff Tweedy than a Jeff Tweedy concert, tons of interaction. Hopefully the guy yelling "Sunken Treasure" all night will be euthanized before next years show. Great night, drove five hours for a three hour show and would do it again next week. New song sounded great too!

Compared to Friday's show, it was definitely the crazier / more spontaneous show of the two. Lots o' drunk St. Patty's early revelers clogging up the streets near the Vic, despite the miserable weather, and some of that spilled over into the crowd. Plenty of drunken requests, talkers, videotapers (despite Jeff's repeated admonishments to stop videotaping), crazed drunken women shouting completely random nonsensical things, etc.

Some great songs heard last night - Shakin' Sugar / Alone sounded great, and I loved hearing my request (Chinese Apple).

It was kinda lame when Jeff opened the crowd up for questions and some jackass asked him about Jay Bennett. Jeff stated he had nothing to say about it and moved on from there.

The Jeremy chord strumming thing was very cool, he was a 14-year-old dude who was very pumped to be up there, raised his hands victoriously. I don't think he'll forget this show any time soon.

Guest Runaway Jim

Yeah, the Jeremy G Chord thing was great. That probably made that kid's year. Awesome that Jeff was willing to let him do that.

I was way up in the balcony and didn't really hear the Jay Bennett question. What did he ask?

I believe it was "what happened between you and Jay last year" in which Jeff replied..."seriously"

Yeah, I honestly can't recall what his exact words were, but he moved on pretty quickly.

Compared to Friday's show, it was definitely the crazier / more spontaneous show of the two. Lots o' drunk St. Patty's early revelers clogging up the streets near the Vic, despite the miserable weather, and some of that spilled over into the crowd. Plenty of drunken requests, talkers, videotapers (despite Jeff's repeated admonishments to stop videotaping), crazed drunken women shouting completely random nonsensical things, etc.

Some great songs heard last night - Shakin' Sugar / Alone sounded great, and I loved hearing my request (Chinese Apple).

It was kinda lame when Jeff opened the crowd up for questions and some jackass asked him about Jay Bennett. Jeff stated he had nothing to say about it and moved on from there.

The Jeremy chord strumming thing was very cool, he was a 14-year-old dude who was very pumped to be up there, raised his hands victoriously. I don't think he'll forget this show any time soon.

Great request! Too bad I wasn't there to hear it. I did listen to it last night, though, & thought how awesome and unlikely it would be to hear live. And to hear Twist of Fate, Someday Soon, Promising, Flowers -- Oh, the regret of missing them & more!

What was the new song like?

I really enjoyed it, but it's not a new Wilco song. It's a song Jeff wrote for Mavis Staples. It's ... soulful?

I had a great time Saturday, and of course loved the (mostly) spoken-word version of "Single Ladies." If nothing else, I guess we've learned exactly how much Jeff doesn't want to play "Ashes" solo. But "Single Ladies" was comedy gold, so it was a definitely good bet last night. Thanks, Jeff! The biggest surprise of the night for me was Russ's request for "Shakin' Sugar" (left over from Friday night) actually being played. It sounded wonderful. I don't know if there was anybody this year whose request went completely ungranted over the two nights. That's pretty amazing.

Thanks again to Susan and Jeff for doing this every year. Are there some sort of charity performance superstar awards that can be bestowed?

I was sitting stage right directly next to the women that talked through the entire show. Jeff actually looked at her while he was singing 'Remember the Mountain Bed' and made a comment after the song. She was completely oblivious and never stopped yapping, but couldn't take away from the magic of this show.

Many highlights like everyone mentioned here; hearing 'Poor Places' acoustically really blew me away. The kid from the audience who played a few chords onstage with Jeff was a fun moment too. These shows are really something special and I wish anyone who doesn't think so should stay home.

Alone (Shakin' Sugar) was the highlight of the night for me--I never thought I'd hear that live. (Thanks Russ--and Jeff.) The Single Ladies bit was a stand-out as well, but yeah....really doesn't want to play Ashes solo acoustic.

It was a bizarre crowd, but Jeff always manages to handle those situations well. Who would've thought a Q/A session could have gone wrong? :pirate

wow... alone (shakin' sugar). i can't believe it. i don't think i've heard that live since lounge ax... maybe one of those park west shows. i'll have to look through my old cassettes to see if he played it there. amazing. i wonder if that was a subtle gesture/nod/tribute to jay. always loved that song -- in all of its incarnations.

Such a great one-two punch of benefit shows. As usual, fantastic to see everyone in from all around the country. The highlight for me from this show was actually Poor Places, which was performed with such intense emotion. So glad that Russ got his Shakin' Sugar in on the second night...amazing stuff!

I wonder if Jeremy ever paid up the $30 that he owed for strumming the other five chords, or if it was forgiven after he got smacked in the back of the head with the guitar!? That kid was in another world as he was leaving the stage, and is not likely to forget that experience in a good many years.

i wonder if that was a subtle gesture/nod/tribute to jay.

Actually, I'm almost positive it was a gesture/nod/tribute to Russ. :thumbup

hi guys! i'm new here, and went to this show last night. it was by far one of the most brilliant things i've ever witnessed, i had such a good time. my only complaint was the crazy woman who worked at the venue and complained to me about using my camera even though i had flash turned off and a bunch of people around me were using theirs with the flash on. i managed to get a 5 second video of the single ladies craziness and a 30 second video (but very shakey because i had to hide my camera by pressing it against my shirt and try and aim) of someone else's song. needless to say, as a big tweedy/wilco fan, i will be going next year.

Jeff/Wilco don't allow videotaping of their live shows, so actually the security woman was right on the ball if that's what you were doing. I'm glad you enjoyed the show, though!

The comments about "Poor Places" reminded me of how much I liked that one, too. I think this was a new arrangement, because I'd never heard it quite that way before. Specifically toward the end.

Not that everyone would pay attention, but maybe Jeff needs someone to announce the videotaping policy before he goes out or before Wilco plays. If people do it after that, they are truly being assholes, versus simply being a little ignorant.

Having never benefitted from seeing a Tweedy solo performance, I'm curious whether any who have frequented his shows (those between or during Wilco tours) have noticed any spillover between what he plays solo, and what the band plays. Certainly they're both culling from the same catalog, but I'm wondering if, with the "Evening with Wilco" shows whether some of the more obscure stuff will find its way into the shows.

Guest Jules

Having never benefitted from seeing a Tweedy solo performance, I'm curious whether any who have frequented his shows (those between or during Wilco tours) have noticed any spillover between what he plays solo, and what the band plays. Certainly they're both culling from the same catalog, but I'm wondering if, with the "Evening with Wilco" shows whether some of the more obscure stuff will find its way into the shows.

Don't hold your breath.

That kid was in another world as he was leaving the stage, and is not likely to forget that experience in a good many years.

I was hoping he'd crowd-surf across the floor. The audience's goodwill and appreciation would've carried him at least that far.