Tweedy at the Vic 3/12/10

Just finished up the first of two annual scholarship shows... have seen many of these over the years, but this was one of the best. Here's a taste of the set list (not in order)... Jeff played 30 songs, all requests from the early arrivals...

Gun

Love and Mercy

Screen Door

Company in My Back (first time acoustic)

California Stars

Airline to Heaven

Mountain Bed

Magazine Called Sunset

Passenger Side

Dreamer in my dreams

Acuff-Rose

Summerteeth

Broken Arrow

Laminated Cat

One by One

Everlasting Everything

Secrets of the Sea

Thanks I Get

Spiders

Summerteeth

Theologians

Monkey Mess

Sure I am missing a few covers and a few others.... thanks to the Dude for saving me a great seat... pix to follow...

thanks for sharing gewee. how long did he play for? wish I could have been there!

Started right at 8 and went til about 10:40... took a 10 minute intermission...

While Jeff did say "Company in My Back (first time acoustic)" he isn't actually right. He's done it before. I've seen him do it at Marytrs and I haven't checked wilcobase to see if it was done any other time. Lots of crazy songs tonight. Long show. Great, funny stories. Surprised by the lack of songs from BT, YHF and W(TA)

While Jeff did say "Company in My Back (first time acoustic)" he isn't actually right. He's done it before. I've seen him do it at Marytrs and I haven't checked wilcobase to see if it was done any other time. Lots of crazy songs tonight. Long show. Great, funny stories. Surprised by the lack of songs from BT, YHF and W(TA)

I thought Company in my back sounded phenomneal, didn't you? and yeah he really stuck to the request list... a lot of the usual suspects left for tomorrow night...

Just finished up the first of two annual scholarship shows... have seen many of these over the years, but this was one of the best. Here's a taste of the set list (not in order)... Jeff played 30 songs, all requests from the early arrivals...

Gun, Screen Door, Acuff-Rose - some nice Uncle Tupelo picks. I'd love to see Gun live sometime.

How does Jeff do Spiders as an acoustic song? I've seen one of his solo acoustic shows, and am amazed at what he can pull off, but Spiders is hard to imagine.

I thought Company in my back sounded phenomneal, didn't you? and yeah he really stuck to the request list... a lot of the usual suspects left for tomorrow night...

It did sound great. One of many highlights. The Good Part. More Like the Moon. Radio King. Too Far Apart. Seemed like Jeff didn't write the lyrics to half the songs tonight given all the Mermaid love + the BS, Dylan, Young, Elvis (?) covers and Monkey Mess.

Gun, Screen Door, Acuff-Rose - some nice Uncle Tupelo picks. I'd love to see Gun live sometime.

How does Jeff do Spiders as an acoustic song? I've seen one of his solo acoustic shows, and am amazed at what he can pull off, but Spiders is hard to imagine.

Well it's a lot shorter, to start with... it's actually pretty great, esp the "there's no blood on my hands" part...

Sure I am missing a few covers and a few others....

Here was the complete setlist, as played, for Night 1 at the Vic (there was no encore):

Laminated Cat

The Community Song (take 1)

More Like The Moon

Either Way

Too Far Apart

Secret of the Sea

Spiders (Kidsmoke)

Pecan Pie

Summer Teeth

The Losing End (When You're On) [Neil Young]

The Good Part

The Community Song (take 2; in G?)

Company In My Back

A Magazine Called Sunset

A Fool Such As I (fragment) [made famous by Elvis Presley]

----intermission/pee break----

The Community Song (take 3; in B flat?)

Remember The Mountain Bed

Broken Arrow [buffalo Springfield]

Cars Can't Escape

Monkey Mess

One By One

Radio King

Screen Door

Gun

Passenger Side

Love & Mercy [brian Wilson]

California Stars

Just A Kid

The Thanks I Get

Theologians

Airline To Heaven

Dreamer In My Dreams (performed at edge of stage without PA system)

Acuff-Rose (performed at edge of stage without PA system)

Here was the complete setlist, as played, for Night 1 at the Vic (there was no encore):

Laminated Cat

The Community Song (take 1)

More Like The Moon

Either Way

Too Far Apart

Secret of the Sea

Spiders (Kidsmoke)

Pecan Pie

Summer Teeth

The Losing End (When You're On) [Neil Young]

The Good Part

The Community Song (take 2; in G?)

Company In My Back

A Magazine Called Sunset

A Fool Such As I (fragment) [made famous by Elvis Presley]

----intermission/pee break----

The Community Song (take 3; in B flat?)

Remember The Mountain Bed

Broken Arrow [buffalo Springfield]

Cars Can't Escape

Monkey Mess

One By One

Radio King

Screen Door

Gun

Passenger Side

Love & Mercy [brian Wilson]

California Stars

Just A Kid

The Thanks I Get

Theologians

Airline To Heaven

Dreamer In My Dreams (performed at edge of stage without PA system)

Acuff-Rose (performed at edge of stage without PA system)

Wow. What a fantastic setlist. I'd like to think I am not the jealous type....but I am jealous.

While Jeff did say "Company in My Back (first time acoustic)" he isn't actually right. He's done it before. I've seen him do it at Marytrs and I haven't checked wilcobase to see if it was done any other time.

Yeah, Jeff had played Company solo before but I was a little surprised to see that he actually hasn't done it very often. Kudos to him for pretty much giving every request a shot...well, except for the one he said didn't know how to play (and has never played and said he would try to learn for tonight. :pirate). We'll see if that happens, which would be awesome!

These gigs are always such a fun time! Everyone should come out tonight if you can (according to Jeff, "plenty of good seats still available" :lol ) It's more than worth the money, which goes to a great cause anyway...:thumbup

What a fun night! I'll tell you something: I never thought I'd hear "Monkey Mess" live.

Me neither, complete with a "Monkey Walk" afterwards. Broken Arrow sounded great, too, plus The Losing End, lots of Neil last night. He was right in front of me and Gewee when he went off the PA for Dreamer in my Dreams and Acuff Rose, I dare say we were getting a "spittle shower" of sorts during it. :stunned

Such an awesome show. Back for Round 2 today and getting an early song request in, but it's supposed to be another miserable day of rain and wind. :ninja "Sprinter" (not quite Spring, not quite Winter) in Chicago sucks.

I always feel so privileged to attend one of these shows. I have been to quite a few, I attended last night with a friend who was seeing Jeff solo for the first time. Both of us left in awe. He is that good. It does not matter if you are a fan who mainly knows Wilco material, or a crazy fan who studies Jeffs solo set lists in an attempt to learn new stuff, you get what you came for.

A few new things we learned last night: Wilco likes gifts. Cookies, candy, basically anything they can eat makes a show better. Pecan Pie is a cute song, not a good song (not new) but has served its purpose as many people have brought him pecan pies over the years. Another funny debate throughout the night was how bad certain songs are that the diehards are requesting. Jeff commented a few times on how much better the setlist would be if he made it up. He was very sincere in his appreciation of the fans who stand in line for hours, but his self depricating sense of self still makes it hard for him to fully understand. Obviously this is a bit of schtick as this debate has been going on for years. Long enough for me to have spent time on both sides of the fence. There is definitely something incredibly self serving about requesting a song you heard on a bootleg from 1999, but at the same time, hearing something different and rare is extremely exciting for someone who knows evey Wilco/Jeff proper lyric and song from UT - Smog - Loose Fur - Wilco - solo shows. And if you pay the money and take the time to hang out in line, more power to you. Still, it was a bit surprising to only hear 1 BT, 1 ST, 1 SBS and no YHF or WTA. I am sure some newer fans who left disappointed not hearing Jesus, Shot, ITMWLY, etc., but hopefully they go home and discover UT or possibly Buffalo Springfield. You go to a Wilco show to hear the core songs, you attend a Jeff solo show to hear stories and rarities.

Among my personal highlights was Spiders (I will never get tired of hearing the guitar break into the rocking album version for the last verse) the 3 AM and 3 UT songs which all sound really good solo acoustic. Dreamer and one of the forementioned UT songs (Acuff) without PA is always a treat. Either way got a big reaction and sounds great live. Broken arrow despite being a "band" (not The Band) song, really has some pretty parts on the acoustic, and if you are not terribly familiar with the song, you would never miss the jam. And finally Company, which was a great treat. It is my wifes all time fav song and she thought Jeff could have put a little more emotion into it, but her standards are extemely high. I loved hearing his guitar work and thought it worked quite well.

Guest Runaway Jim

Spiders is one of Jeff's best acoustic songs. I think it's a really great window into how Jeff likely writes songs, and how they change when Wilco takes them on. It's also probably the first song I play when I pick up my guitar (if it's in Drop D and I have a capo handy).

You should find yourself a copy of him playing it solo. You'll love it - I don't see how you couldn't. I'm sure owlandbear has it in the Wilco archive somewhere.

And here's a tab... if you play guitar

Edited by Runaway Jim

Friday's show was excellent. And of course people are going to request many songs outside of the "usual suspects." I didn't make it into town in time to be among the first 30 in line on Friday, but if I had, I would have requested Feed of Man--not because it's my favorite but because it's one I may never get to hear anywhere else. I think the requests make for an exciting night of surprises.