Wilco -- 3/1/10; Ottawa, Ontario

The temperature on Wilcoworld today is 34 degrees - in Ottawa! (That's about a 2 on the celcius scale)

I really hope the Ottawa audience doesn't disappoint, especially after Montreal, which was a great crowd and clearly delighted the band. Mikael held up a "10" sign af the end of the night, which I believe was his rating of the audience. Looking forward (hopefully) to Magazine Called Sunset.

Wilco

Bull Black Nova

You Are My Face

Company In My Back

IATTBYH

One Wing

Shot In The Arm

Side With The Seeds

Deeper Down

California Stars

Impossible Germany

Blue Eyed Soul

Handshake Drugs

You Never Know

Jesus, Etc

Poor Places >

Reservations >

Spiders

Hummingbird

---------------

Broken Arrow

Via Chicago

Passenger Side

Hate It Here

Walken

I'm The Man Who Loves You

Can't Stand It, Hoodoo Voodoo, and I'm a Wheel were cut after I'm The Man because of the hard 11PM curfew :(

Pretty good show. Ottawa (and the rest of Canada) is still on a high from our Gold yesterday which Jeff alluded to on a few occasions. The crowd surprised me with their singing for Jesus, Etc, especially since many people (around me) opted to use their comfy plush theatre seats for most of the show. A main set Poor Places > Reservations > Spiders was my highlight but there weren't too many setlist surprises which for me makes it a pretty average show. Wilco rocked the house nonetheless.

...but there weren't too many setlist surprises which for me makes it a pretty average show. Wilco rocked the house nonetheless.

Blue Eyed Soul !!! according to Wilcobase only the 6th time played by Wilco (along with 5 Tweedy solo performances)

Ok, maybe with the exception of that one big one haha. I guess I'm just spoiled when it comes to bustouts and variety in setlists coming from a jam band fan background, seeing Wilco's setlists this tour so far, and imagining the type of sets they're going to be playing in a few weeks with their "Evening With Wilco" shows.

By my count 8 songs performed in Ottawa that weren't played in Montreal so that was good. Not nearly the energy of the Montreal show but that was to be expected. The National Arts Centre really isn't made for a rock show and so a lot of people chose to sit for a long time, most noticeably the first 5 rows or so. The good thing was that the standers by and large didn't bother the sitters and the sitters mostly left the standers alone. Given the rather lacklustre crowd, Jeff and the band seemed to be in a pretty good mood. Poor Places /Reservations was a real highlight for me. He killed it, especially Reservations. Hummingbird included the Hummingbird dance/mic swing. I also thought it was a really good version of California Stars but I have no idea what made it different from the 5 or 6 other times I’ve heard it.

The problem for Wilco is that they have raised the bar so high that Ottawa was an average night for them but it was still a show that many bands will never achieve.

Oh yeah and the Ottawa poster was really lovely and I got a Summerteeth vinyl.

Blue Eyed Soul. Holy smokes. Heard Tweedy play this solo at Cain's Ballroom 1/19/2007 sandwiched in between Sunken Treasure/Remember the Mountain Bed as the opening three songs; that was a terrific concert. Would love to hear the full Wilco treatment.

Nels turned in a pretty sweet solo on this one. Can't remember if it was with his Jazzmaster or the "fake" Tele that he's been using on some of the twangier numbers on this tour, but I think it was the latter. ;)

Nels turned in a pretty sweet solo on this one. Can't remember if it was with his Jazzmaster or the fake Tele that he's been using on some of the twangier numbers on this tour, but I think it was the latter. ;)

Any pics of this guitar? Nels playing a tele is a dream combo for me!!!

Any pics of this guitar? Nels playing a tele is a dream combo for me!!!

I didn't have a very good angle for pictures of Nels in Ottawa, unfortunately. I know he didn't think he'd ever be playing a Tele on stage, but this one sounded good apparently. FYI, I'm no guitar expert but the one Nels is using is an orange Nashguitars model. I didn't know much about the company before reading some of the stuff on their site...pretty interesting. :thumbup