Portland, Oregon 2/9/2010

Great set, started off mellow and slowly built up. It was my third time seeing them, first time indoors. Different vibe but great show:

Sunken treasure

Mountain bed

Hell is chrome

Bull black nova

You are my face

Trying to break your heart

One wing

Shot in the arm

Sides with seeds

At least that's what you said

Deeper down

Jesus etc (made the crowd sing it without him)

Impossible Germany

Far far away

Sonny feeling

Hate it here

Walkin

Man who loves you

-end of the main set-

Broken arrow

California stars (w/ Peter buck & Scott McCaughey)

Heavy metal drummer

Kingpin

I'm a wheel

nelstoolkit.jpg

stagebefore.jpg

live.jpg

Aww I was hoping for a 'Sunken Treasure'/'Mountain Bed' opener at one of the upcoming theater gigs! I suppose there's still hope. And as long as 'Broken Arrow' doesn't go anywhere, I'm a happy boy.

Nice to see Buck McCoy make an appearance!! Must have been cool. :thumbup

Thanks for reporting the set! Eager for the next 3 shows...

Also, only 4 songs from "the album"? :upset I hope they step this up in BC as we haven't had a show in support of the new record yet...

wish I could say more about this show. I was in the second row in the pit on the right. This girl ran on stage after the show to get the band to sign her poster. Not happening... They told her to wait and took the poster back stage to get sigs from the rest of the band.

Mr show -> broken arrow

Fwiw, you probably meant Mr. Soul, though it wasn't actually the song Mr. Soul they did but just the start of Broken Arrow (which mentions Mr. Soul). Confusing, I know.

Sounded good, though I would have loved to have heard Nels play it with the Rickenbacker he used at the MusiCares show. Tonight he just used his white and black 12-string Jerry Jones -- the one he usually uses on IATTBYH.

Fwiw, you probably meant Mr. Soul, though it wasn't actually the song Mr. Soul they did but just the start of Broken Arrow (which mentions Mr. Soul). Confusing, I know.

Thanks, was sleepy last night and it's been a while since I'd heard the original...

My 10th Wilco/Tweedy show and other than 11/04 this was the best. The pace was amazing and frankly I get the impression they are getting close to moving in a much more serious direction. My wife attending her 3rd show said she thought the entire set and lighting struck her like it was some recording studio enviro, with some new lighting that resembled pulsing candles and a really amazing but hard to describe hanging backdrop. The overall image put off by this very well organized lighting and stage set only served to prove the power of Wilco in this very rehearsed yet out there performance. Having the Minus 2/3 come out for one of my favorite Cally Stars was an amazing treat that one could assume will repeat tonight up north given this is where the Minus Boys now live full time. All and all an amazing show worth every dime and effort to take it in.

Lastly, Jeff noted they were on their way to the Olympics that they were competing in the 6 Man Rocking Ship Event whereby he was corrected that it was Rockin Ship Event. Fun fun fun stuff. Enjoy all!

Aww I was hoping for a 'Sunken Treasure'/'Mountain Bed' opener at one of the upcoming theater gigs! I suppose there's still hope. And as long as 'Broken Arrow' doesn't go anywhere, I'm a happy boy.

Nice to see Buck McCoy make an appearance!! Must have been cool. :thumbup

Thanks for reporting the set! Eager for the next 3 shows...

Also, only 4 songs from "the album"? :upset I hope they step this up in BC as we haven't had a show in support of the new record yet...

It was the first time they played Sunken Treasure in the three shows I've seen in Oregon. Buck & McCaughey played California Stars with them at the 2007 show I saw in Troutdale. Jeff said something about it being a tradition now :) I thought the set was a good mix of songs myself although I was surprised there were only four from the latest...

My 10th Wilco/Tweedy show and other than 11/04 this was the best. The pace was amazing and frankly I get the impression they are getting close to moving in a much more serious direction. My wife attending her 3rd show said she thought the entire set and lighting struck her like it was some recording studio enviro, with some new lighting that resembled pulsing candles and a really amazing but hard to describe hanging backdrop. The overall image put off by this very well organized lighting and stage set only served to prove the power of Wilco in this very rehearsed yet out there performance. Having the Minus 2/3 come out for one of my favorite Cally Stars was an amazing treat that one could assume will repeat tonight up north given this is where the Minus Boys now live full time. All and all an amazing show worth every dime and effort to take it in.

Lastly, Jeff noted they were on their way to the Olympics that they were competing in the 6 Man Rocking Ship Event whereby he was corrected that it was Rockin Ship Event. Fun fun fun stuff. Enjoy all!

The backdrop reminded me of sheets of notebook paper pinned to a sheet in odd patterns. Looked MUCH better with the house lights off.

Sunken Treasure-->Mountain Bed-->HELL IS CHROME!!! Im not sure i could imagine a better opening trio, and extremely glad to see Hell is Chrome back on the setlists. Must have been a great show.

As others have said, the energy and pace were great. Jeff's voice was in fine form; a benefit to shows early in a tour. Loved the Sunken Treasure >> Mountain Bed >> Hell is Chrome opener. Otherwise, not my favorite set list.

Always cool to see Buck and Mcaughey, though I can't say they add much on a sonic level. And old-skool Portland types had to like Jeff's Dharma Bums jokes (reunion show coming up! with Young Fresh Fellows!).

Sound was great. I'm so used to club shows, seeing a great band in a venue like the Schnitz was something of a trip.

Wish I was on my way to Seattle....

Interesting review. "Angsty kraut-rock-experimental-screech"?

It's nice that Jeff's "thwack-whacking" is getting attention (NAPE)--his solos were definitely among the best moments of the October Chicago shows for me.

Sunken Treasure-->Mountain Bed-->HELL IS CHROME!!! Im not sure i could imagine a better opening trio, and extremely glad to see Hell is Chrome back on the setlists. Must have been a great show.

I'd love to hear the current lineup play the old arrangement of "Sunken Treasure." But that IS a killer opening.

How often have they played the 'album version' of 'Sunken Treasure' -- just Residency night 1, or other times?

Pretty sure late Summer/Fall 04 tour & Chicago Thanksgiving 2006.

And, of course the Night 1 Residency.

I feel like that's about it.

75% of my bootlegs have them doing the "harmonica-solo-ish" version.

nice shots there, camelhead. you got the back of my wife's and my heads in your fifth photo.

here are some i took: Wilco, Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall, PDX, 9 February 2010

i'm hoping i can find a copy of the show - it was a b'day gift to the missus and would be nice to keep for posterity.

Welcome to VC,and congrats,you have some of the best pics of the guys I´´ve seen in a while (Tweedy&Sansone is very nice!) :thumbup

Welcome to VC,and congrats,you have some of the best pics of the guys I´´ve seen in a while (Tweedy&Sansone is very nice!) :thumbup

Seriously--these are professional quality shots. They got me pumped for the upcoming Canada/East Coast shows I'll be seeing soon! Thanks for posting.

nice shots there, camelhead. you got the back of my wife's and my heads in your fifth photo.

here are some i took: Wilco, Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall, PDX, 9 February 2010

i'm hoping i can find a copy of the show - it was a b'day gift to the missus and would be nice to keep for posterity.

Great Photos! I remember the back of you and your wife's head! I also remember your awesome camera. Thanks for the memories. My wife made a CD of the songs from this show put in order they were played. It's a substitue until hopefully the real one shows up.

Wow, GREAT shots, thanks for sharing them. Makes me feel like I was closer than I was :)