New Album News - Back in Studio Jan 2010

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A little, but it's a great little interview, especially this part:

Q-When will you guys be heading back into the studio?

A-We have a big session in January and start on the new record. We’re trying to get on the ball as fast as we can because the touring has been pretty much non-stop.

:blink

The "big session" comment is interesting. Whereas the main W(TA) session was kind of born organically out of the 7WC New Zealand trip, this one sounds very "planned"....which leads me to wonder who they may be lining up to be involved. A return of Jim O'Rourke perhaps? :brow

Guest Speed Racer

Kind of sad they've given up on W(TA) this quickly. It didn't even get a second single, or a W(TA) EP.

Yeah, I always hate it when I get a full album of new material instead of just two new songs and a few live tracks!

They're not really giving up on it, though. They did a bunch of touring for it. If the time seems right to head back to the studio, and Jeff's got enough good songs to warrant doing so, then why shouldn't they?

And...if they have a recording session in January, I don't forsee this material being released until Novermberish.

And...if they have a recording session in January, I don't forsee this material being released until Novermberish.

Exactly. And even if "recording session in January" meant "new album in January," how is that sad? I don't understand that at all. I'm a big believer in not forcing anything artistic. And I would wager a lot of money that Jeff is the same. So if they've set a studio date, odds are there's a good reason.

Sheesh.

I'm still waiting for all those songs that they recorded in the SBS sessions that John said would be released within the year of SBS's release.

I was just thinking the same thing.

Exactly. And even if "recording session in January" meant "new album in January," how is that sad? I don't understand that at all. I'm a big believer in not forcing anything artistic. And I would wager a lot of money that Jeff is the same. So if they've set a studio date, odds are there's a good reason.

Sheesh.

Generally when a band tries to record a new album that quickly after one just came out, it's a sign that the band is unsatisfied in some way with the previous record.

Let's hope they don't make another Sky Blue Sky. :no

Generally when a band tries to record a new album that quickly after one just came out, it's a sign that the band is unsatisfied in some way with the previous record.

Let's hope they don't make another Sky Blue Sky. :no

Or...it's a particularly fruitful creative period.

Hell, if they have confidence in whatever new stuff they have now, why should they wait to get the recording started?

Or...it's a particularly fruitful creative period.

Hell, if they have confidence in whatever new stuff they have now, why should they wait to get the recording started?

Well, let's hope your right.

It's kind of weird that Wilco is beating Radiohead to album #8. Slackers!

Well, let's hope your right.

It's kind of weird that Wilco is beating Radiohead to album #8. Slackers!

Well, depending on what article you read, Radiohead is recording/will soon be recording for their next album. For whatever that's worth.

And, as said, studio time in January doesn't at all mean album in January. For all we know, this'll be the first session for a three years in the studio kind of album.

Well, depending on what article you read, Radiohead is recording/will soon be recording for their next album. For whatever that's worth.

And, as said, studio time in January doesn't at all mean album in January. For all we know, this'll be the first session for a three years in the studio kind of album.

Well obviously. I mean look at Summerteeth. The initial Kingsize demos were in what? 1997?

Thanks for posting the interview. Interesting insight that John said he was a friend before the band. I would love to see a Jeff/John acoustic tour. You know in the middle of recording and everything else! tongue.gif Kidding - but it would be cool!

Guest Speed Racer

Am I correct that both Loose Fur records were knocked out pretty quickly? They are both fine pieces of studio work. If Jeff and Wilco are ready to record, then I am ready to preorder.

So... Here's one theory on how it plays out. They start working on the new songs in January, and get em all knocked into shape at the Loft. Then in Apr-May 2010 they tour downunder again (this is based on a comment John made in a recent interview on when they would next be down here). They stay on after the tour and head into "Uncle" Neil Finn's Roundhead studio (with the whole band and some of their own gear this time) and bang out the bulk of the album, then head back home to finish things off. Album out early 2011. Job done.

...Yeah... I know...you're right....it won't happen like that...(The only part i really want to happen is them touring downunder .... )

Wilco makes the album

release is 2012

wilco saves world

still, world is not convinced of their greatness

wilco destroys world

the new album will probably feature the talents of glenn and nels more. pssshhh yah right, just produce a mix of Being There, AGIB, and a dash of YHF and it'll be amazing. I feel like Wilco created puzzle pieces and YHF is just one huge mammoth, but it could get better.

WTA seemed like a rehash of SBS, which is okay in my book, but not the usual. I'm just glad they made it to texas yet again.

Thanks for posting the interview. Interesting insight that John said he was a friend before the band. I would love to see a Jeff/John acoustic tour. You know in the middle of recording and everything else! tongue.gif Kidding - but it would be cool!

I recall reading in Kot's book that John was a guitar tech for Uncle Tupelo, and eventually was invited to join the band....not sure if they knew each other before that.

Since we are now speculating, here is a post I made on the Wilco Breaking Up? thread where this article was originally posted....

At that January session, Jeff will have a camera crew there to film the rehearsals for a documentary that will result in a concert in some unique place like on a boat or in the deserts of North Africa. However he will be accused of being too pushy by the other band members who will balk at the concert. Pat will walk out for a few days but after a meeting they will agree to finish the project and he comes back. Leroy is invited to sit in for a few of the songs easing the tensions a bit. Instead of traveling to perform a concert they will play a show on the roof of the Loft. In the middle of the show Chicago police will arrive and put an end to the performance. All if this will be captured on film. The album will be delayed almost a year since no one wants to sit through the endless hours of rehearsals to mix the album. Meanwhile, the band agrees that they need to put out a studio produced album like they did in the good old days. After Sue Tweedy and the family move into the studio while they are making this album tensions rise to the point where they realize this will probably be the last Wilco Album. The band goes out to ********* Ave to take a picture of them crossing the street for the cover. Nels has no shoes on for the picture which starts a rumor that he is dead. A Volvo with the license plate 54IF appears in the shot furthering the speculation that Nels is dead. Glen secretly quits the group but doesn't announce the fact until business matters are dealt with. Finally, in January 2011 John announces that hes leaving the band and that his solo album Stirrat will be coming out around the time ********* Ave is coming out causing an irreparable end to the greatest band of the 21st century. It is so obvious isn't it?

Guest Black Witcher

The "big session" comment is interesting. Whereas the main W(TA) session was kind of born organically out of the 7WC New Zealand trip, this one sounds very "planned"....which leads me to wonder who they may be lining up to be involved. A return of Jim O'Rourke perhaps? :brow

That would be very nice and would make me very interested in hearing a new Wilco album.

O'Rourke has a better ear for what would make a great studio album.

He makes alright songs sound great.

Plus Jim Scott could go back to doing Dixie Chicks albums and get away from Wilco.