One Wing

At Least That's What You Said

Handshake Drugs

Deeper Down

Impossible Germany

It's Just That Simple

Sonny Feeling

Can't Stand It

Jesus Etc. (Jeff didn't sing until the last verse -- he made us do it instead)

Via Chicago

Spiders

Hummingbird

The Late Greats

You Never Know (with Liam Finn)

California Stars (with Liam Finn and Gary Louris)

Heavy Metal Drummer

Theologians

Hate It Here

Walken

I'm The Man Who Loves You

Monday

Hoodoo Voodoo

Completely epic, totally delightful, definitely worth the hassle of a difficult flight out from Denver, and it was great seeing a bunch of you guys there. :)

Did anybody see tapers? I know the posted sign said no recording, but it also said no cameras and the security guys didn't say anything to anybody who had them that I saw.

very very good show, despite the crap venue :)

the sound was decent (but echo-y/boomy) up front at least

i definitely saw at least once taper come in before me too.

Jeff did his best David Lee Roth impressions/stretching during Hummingbird :)

Yeah, I think "It's Just That Simple" came before IATTBYH. And the "Jesus etc" thing that they did gave new life to a very well-worn tune. I also got an Aftershow pass and got beers with the band, talked guitar tech with Nels and talked about the Twin Cities with John. Amazing night!!

That was truely awesome.

I was right in front of Jeff on the rail, what a great great show. Just wish I could have heard the mix a bit better there but it was still awesome.

Pretty envious of the aftershow pass!

Gary Louris harmonizing on California Stars?? :wub

More like doing a little soloing on electric guitar (looked like he might have even borrowed one of Jeff's Gibson SGs). :thumbup

Oh, and the setlist agonistes posted to start this thread was correct, as played. They stuck to the script exactly, as she pointed out. Nice to meet you Mel!

My first ever Wilco show (and the first for four of my buddies) and it was absolutely wonderful. Got there as early as we could and got second row from the front rail when we arrived! Still hasn't quite hit me that I was just a few feet from Wilco last night. Saw Mikael walking across the street from us in the opposite direction while we were heading around the back of the venue pre-show. I of course wanted to run across the street and say hello, get a picture, etc. but he was with his wife?/girlfriend? and I didn't want to bug him before a show (Did yell out his name after we had walked a little ways though :P ). Anyway seeing him was cool enough for me :thumbup . Great setlist. Wish there would have been a few more rarities but hey, I hadn't seen ANY of the songs in person before so they were all rarities for me last night! All I could have hoped for and more.

My 2nd show will be the first night in Chicago and I can't wait!

I thought they made the most of that venue. The sound was really bad, but they made me forget about it early on. They played barn burners and skipped the introspective stuff. My buddy and I brought 4 people who'd never been to a Wilco show before and they all had a blast. The 2nd encore was amazing. My favorite songs of the night were Hummingbird and Theologians.

Here's the Star Tribune review: http://www.startribune.com/entertainment/music/63421907.html?elr=KArksD:aDyaEP:kD:aUt:aDyaEP:kD:aUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUU

And set list with commentary: http://www.startribune.com/blogs/63423162.html?elr=KArksLckD8EQDUoaEyqyP4O:DW3ckUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUgOy9cP3DieyckcUsI

Great show last night. They sounded great, even in audio-unfriendly Roy Wilkins Auditorium.

Highlights for me: Jeff inviting the crowd to sing Jesus Etc. instead of him ("show Wilco some love"--we sounded great too!), followed by Via Chicago--Jeff's introduction to that song was hilarious (something like "now we're going to destroy all that warmth and love"--my memory was a little corrupted by more than a few Great Waters beers). Gary Louris (Jayhawks) joining Liam Finn and the band for "California Stars", John singing "It's Just That Simple". "Monday" sounded awesome too, wish they played one or two more from Being There.

There's no accounting for taste, but I didn't care much for Liam Finn as a warm-up act.

Was my first Wilco show (1st for the 4 friends I went with as well) and it was fantastic. Got there about 45 min before Liam Finn went on and got second row from the stage which was an unbelievable experience. Setlist full of barn burners with a few of the quieter numbers peppered in nicely (which actually helped mask some of the venue's sound limitations). After opening with Wilco (the song) I thought A Shot In The Arm helped set the tone nicely. Energy straight through with Bull Black Nova and You Are My Face (which may be my favorite from SBS). After the dust settled IATTBYH pulled us through through the fog and built beautifully. One wing finished with a lot of power which made for an awesome contrast with the soft opening of ALTWYS. Most of my favorite tracks from the new album were played (Deeper Down, BBN, One Wing, Sonny Feeling) as well as great tracks from A Ghost Is Born (Theologians, ALTWYS, Handshake Drugs, The Late Greats). Jeff was funny throughout and the guys put on a great show. Nels was right in front of me. Ridiculously impressive. I've seen so much Wilco content that I had to stop a couple times and think "Woah, I'm 15 feet from Wilco right now..." :thumbup. Guitar battle at the end of Hoodoo Voodoo was a highlight as well.

OTHER RANDOM THOUGHTS:

-Nice to see It's Just That Simple played and it got a big response.

-Was waiting for Glenn to jump on his kit at the start of I'm The Man Who Loves You and lo and behold... He has a gong now! Pretty cool.

-Loved every single minute of it. Next up is my second Wilco show the first night in Chicago! I can't wait.

SETLIST:

Wilco (The Song)

A Shot In The Arm

Bull Black Nova

You Are My Face

I Am Trying To Break Your Heart

One Wing

At Least That's What You Said

Handshake Drugs

Deeper Down

Impossible Germany

It's Just That Simple

Sonny Feeling

Can't Stand It

Jesus Etc. (Jeff didn't sing until the last verse -- he made us do it instead)

Via Chicago

Spiders

Hummingbird

Encore 1:

The Late Greats

You Never Know (with Liam Finn)

California Stars (with Liam Finn and Gary Louris)

Heavy Metal Drummer

Encore 2:

Theologians

Hate It Here

Walken

I'm The Man Who Loves You

Monday

Hoodoo Voodoo

Hmmm, apart from Misunderstood and a couple others that setlist looks almost the same as the Lewiston NY show in July. Was hoping they'd mix things up a bit more after returning from the Europe leg of the tour. Still I am really looking forward to the Massey Hall show next week.

Hmmm, apart from Misunderstood and a couple others that setlist looks almost the same as the Lewiston NY show in July. Was hoping they'd mix things up a bit more after returning from the Europe leg of the tour. Still I am really looking forward to the Massey Hall show next week.

I wouldn't worry. This setlist, I think, has everything to do with the venue. Awful sound. They had to play all their rockers and barn-burners to make everyone dance and forget about the sound. A lot of their more subtle/introspective material wouldn't have sounded good at Roy Wilkins. I'm sure they'll dig a little deeper in the next few shows.

Yeah, I think "It's Just That Simple" came before IATTBYH. And the "Jesus etc" thing that they did gave new life to a very well-worn tune. I also got an Aftershow pass and got beers with the band, talked guitar tech with Nels and talked about the Twin Cities with John. Amazing night!!

That was my beer!.....I think it was anyway...from MLPS Town Hall? Pretty crazy, I love Wilco, traveled to see them numerous times, but have a bunch of trips on my plate at the moment and decided I was going to skip the show. The week of the show came around and decided I couldn't skip the "hometown" show and began looking into tickets. All the tickets I pulled up were off to the side in the back of the balcony...not wanting to spend the money, I really shouldn't have been spending on spots I knew the sound would be less than desirable, I reluctantly decided to skip the show. Than on Thurs (day before the show), their promoter for the show called, saying they like to have local beer backstage, when possible, and was wondering if we were interested....HELL'S YEAH...got crew passes for the show, briefly met Glen before the show...After the show we were welcome to hang out and maybe answer some questions about the beer, but didn't really want to be "those guys", so decided to not hang post show...hopefully everything went over well and our number gets called again!

Wondering if anyone got any good photos from the show? My weak digital camera was unsuccessful (though i did get some good videos with it). Thinking of making some album art for the taping. I'd love to see some photos!