Jeff interview with Austin Chronicle

Guest Speed Racer

:lol :lol Joss Auckland's Spunky Backpacker get's a shout-out:

One of the first things I read was this diatribe, just merciless, about how awful the record sounded and how there was not one real instrument on the entire record. "It's obviously keyboard samples and that crappy pick-up that Tweedy uses in his acoustic guitar." Unbelievable. It couldn't be farther from the truth and this guy's judging this from a ripped MP3 and he's listening to it through computer speakers most likely.

Damn you, I just wasted ten minutes trying to find that post. :cheekkiss. Congratulations Mr. Ackland, now you know you've made it on the interwebs.

--Mike

You forgot this part

JT: Yeah, I know – that's really, really wrong. I mean the record's recorded on tape. I don't know. This guy claimed to work in a studio too. It's always so tempting to go, "What studio do you work at, so I can never, ever go there?" [laughs] Definitely the best policy is never to engage.

:monkey

Maybe we can merge this with the "I sure hope Jeff Tweedy doesn't read VC" thread.

LOL

Let's not.

(Actually, I think I came off as a defender of the band...at least I hope I did).

Guest Speed Racer

i never claimed to work in a studio! don't know where he got that from?

I went back and checked this morning (on my iPhone, with which I have yet to master cut/copy/paste techniques, so pardon my lack of quotes). You and Solace were dueling for a while near pages 13-16, during which Solace mentioning working in a studio. His post was sandwiched between two of your posts.

lol that's pretty great.

Also, "it's like watching them discover snow or something" is also pretty hilarious, and I have to agree with Wilco HQ one of the best interviews I've seen in a while with Jeff, it's seems as though not many interviews actually get him to open up about stuff.

Guest Speed Racer

it seems as though not many interviews actually get him to open up about stuff.

Which is funny, because Jeff definitely has his "things." If you read any five or six interviews with him in the past eight years or so, or seen any of the Wilco docs, you'll notice that listening to music, the relationship between a listener and the music, and human interactions in the wake of technology are all topics that Jeff will talk about forever. :lol

I went back and checked this morning (on my iPhone, with which I have yet to master cut/copy/paste techniques, so pardon my lack of quotes). You and Solace were dueling for a while near pages 13-16, during which Solace mentioning working in a studio. His post was sandwiched between two of your posts.

oh, so it turns out jeff actually would like to go to his studio after all.

where is the thread anyway?

ooops. i called his acoustic guitar pick-ups "those bastard pick-ups he uses on stage".

actually he must have stopped reading anything i wrote after that post, cos the next few posts were a discussion about listening to music on headphones & speakers - and the differences in doing so.

I haven't made my mind up about whether I like the songs on the albumyet, all I've said is I don't like the production. It's going to takeme a lot more listens to make up my mind about the songs - I alwayslisten to the sound of an album first few listens, and this doesn'tfloat my boat (it almost sounds like it was recorded in the 1990s tome, actaully). Jeff Tweedy is a brilliant song writer, so I've no doubtthe songs are good, and I'll come round a bit in the future to theproduction, i'm sure. But, I was expecting more from them in terms ofthe sound of the album I guess - I personally think they're missing JimO'Rourke, or someone with a bit more skill in shaping the sound of analbum, like they did on the last album too.

I know everyone says this, but I don't see what's wrong with taking thenegative viewpoint in a thread - I don't think I'm being rude, and amhappy to discuss it. It's only an album, after all. I could discuss howdisappointed I was with the last Super Furry Animals album if anyonewas interested here, but they're not.

i think what i said after that was all fair enough. I actually think he's upset with Solace, not me! :shifty

(on my iPhone, with which I have yet to master cut/copy/paste techniques, so pardon my lack of quotes).

FYI: Just got an iPhone and the first thing I tried (pure luck) was tapping what I wanted to copy, tapped "copy," went to where I wanted to paste and squiggled my finger on the screen. It worked! When in doubt, tap or squiggle.

Ah, so Jeff has the reading comprehension level of most other VCers. I wonder if it was him putting his e-mail address in the leak thread right after I said "if you want a link to this album e-mail me directly" or asking for a PM in one the Unlikely Japan/Dark Neon threads, after I had done something similar.

It's okay, though, I, too, get posts and posters confused all the time, as evidenced by "almost never misquotes kidsmoke."

--Mike

I guess this means he won't ever post? :hmm

He has once using sue's login. He did it in a post where a troll accused him pf plaigarising lyrics from some obscure (actually fictitious) female poet from the 1920's. I'm sure somebody will dig up the link.

Guest Speed Racer

He has once using sue's login. He did it in a post where a troll accused him pf plaigarising lyrics from some obscure (actually fictitious) female poet from the 1920's. I'm sure somebody will dig up the link.

Jeff Tweedy: The American Thief

A troll, a celebrity cameo and a ficticious poet. This thread has everything but the catchphrase.

Jeff Tweedy: The American Thief

A troll, a celebrity cameo and a ficticious poet. This thread has everything but the catchphrase.

My responses to the troll's post are, if I may say so myself, as relevent today as they were then.

Maybe we can merge this with the "I sure hope Jeff Tweedy doesn't read VC" thread.

Message boards are an interesting culture. I wanted to post in the aforementioned thread but it was locked.

AC: The piano was so rich on this new album too.

JT: Thank you. When the record leaked, and this is probably what started a lot of my introspection in what we're talking about, in terms of communication and what the dialogue is. When the record leaked, I could not resist the curiosity I had to see what some people were saying on chat groups. One of the first things I read was this diatribe, just merciless, about how awful the record sounded and how there was not one real instrument on the entire record. "It's obviously keyboard samples and that crappy pick-up that Tweedy uses in his acoustic guitar." Unbelievable. It couldn't be farther from the truth and this guy's judging this from a ripped MP3 and he's listening to it through computer speakers most likely. It was like, "Wow." I realized I'm up against it. We walked out of the studio thinking, "That's about as good a sounding record as we can make." We felt like, "Wow. That sounds like real music." That's all we're really going for [laughs].