Donations and T-Shirts!

After much ado, and kicking around a few ideas that were way over-complicated, we've come down to two fund-raising methods. We hope you'll all think about supporting the site by either making a donation (of any size) or buying a t-shirt (also of any size ;) ):

First, you can donate directly by clicking here:

donation4.jpg

That'll take you straight to a PayPal page, where you can make a donation in any amount, using your paypal account or a credit card (if anyone would prefer to donate by check or any other method, please PM me).

If you'd like to click on the "add message" option when making your donation to let us know your VC screen name, we'll confirm by PM that we've received your donation.

We're also offering t-shirts, through the Via Chicago Store on zazzle.com, at http://www.zazzle.com/viachicagostore* (please copy and paste that address into your browser; I can't make it clickable with the * at the end, but apparently we get extra $ if you shop though that exact address; if you really must click: http://www.zazzle.com/viachicagostore).

3966888478_2891ff6508.jpg

We're not planning on making a ton of money from these shirts, but they're pretty great, and we think people will enjoy showing off their membership in the cool crowd by wearing them. :)

The fabulous designs currently available were all designed by VCer "Misswe", and they're not limited to what's pictured above (there are additional designs, and you can pick the color/style of shirt). We also received a few submissions that we couldn't use, for some technical reasons, but we're hoping to get that straightened out and have more available soon.

We're still accepting designs, so if seeing Misswe's lovely artwork gets your creative juices flowing, feel free to PM me with whatever you've got. Please note that we are looking for Via Chicago-specific designs; while vague references to Wilco lyrics, etc., are probably OK, we are not getting into the business of selling Wilco t-shirts. Also, please take a look at the zazzle specs page, and keep in mind that designs for t-shirts should be of an appropriate size to either fit, or take up enough space, on the front of a t-shirt.

Thanks to everyone who has submitted fundraising ideas and t-shirt designs, and thanks to you all for continuing to make Via Chicago a great place to spend some time. :wave

• 2 weeks later...

OK, we've sold a few t-shirts (and also received some very generous donations, so big thanks to you folks :cheekkiss), and I hope everyone who bought one is enjoying it (I'm loving mine!). And now, just in time for gift-giving season (for those of us who give Halloween gifts :lol ):

4012155534_4961fb2812_o.jpg

Yay! Mugs!

As with the t-shirts, the mug is customizable, so go nuts with it.

http://www.zazzle.com/viachicagostore*

If anyone would like to see any of our current designs on something else (a mousepad, apron, shoes, whatever), just ask, and I'll see what I can do. And again, additional designs are always welcome. :)

Thanks for all your support for VC!

I really dig the image on the shirt in the OP. Kudos Misswe.

How did you come up with that?

Thank you! That one is based on the lyrics "buried you alive in a fireworks display" from the song Via Chicago. I took a photograph of fireworks with a cheap digital camera using a slow exposure. As I was taking it, I moved the camera in a spiral in order to achieve the effect. Then I took a photograph of a model holding a shovel, which I manipulated using paint software. Finally, I added the model to the fireworks photo along with the words using photoshop. The image was the third incarnation of the idea, I'm glad you like it.

Guest Runaway Jim

Thank you! That one is based on the lyrics "buried you alive in a fireworks display" from the song Via Chicago. I took a photograph of fireworks with a cheap digital camera using a slow exposure. As I was taking it, I moved the camera in a spiral in order to achieve the effect. Then I took a photograph of a model holding a shovel, which I manipulated using paint software. Finally, I added the model to the fireworks photo along with the words using photoshop. The image was the third incarnation of the idea, I'm glad you like it.

i didn't notice the shovel. obviously get it now that i do. very cool.

OK, so if we sell just a few dollars more of merch this month (as in, by the 31st!), we get a "volume bonus". There have been a few shirt sales, and a couple of mugs, but now I've added a few more lower-cost items too, a mousepad and a tote bag. So someone do me a solid and order one of those! I'm guessing we won't get the volume bonus often, there probably won't be another flurry of shirt-buying, but I'd like to get it just the once. It's only a couple of bucks, but it'll make me feel extra-specially happy about this project. :) Thanks, all!

And remember, we get extra $$ when you enter the store using this link:

:wave

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

We're working on a 2011 calendar, and looking for photo submissions (check out the pinned thread).

Also, if you were ever thinking about doing some VC shopping, or picking up some VC gifts for friends and family, there's free shipping on all orders over $50 between now and the end of the year. Just enter the promo code FREESHIPFORU at checkout. :thumbup

Also also, there's a fabulous new mug available (perfect to give as a gift, along with some Wilco coffee!!). Check it out!

edit: I really didn't mean to say "check out", "checkout" and "check it out" so many times in this post. You really should, though. :yes