The latest Ryan Adams thread V2.0

MOD EDIT: Please see this thread:

http://forums.viachicago.org/topic/32019-the-latest-ryan-adams-thread/

for the previous 50 pages of Ryan Adams discussion. Thanks!

Well I thought Ryan's new adventure into digi singles requires its own thread. I haven't seen much press or reviews for the singles so i'm interested in what people think.

Single #1 : I give it a B- Cool tunes, but the kind of lyrics Ryan writes in his sleep. The B side features the first time Ryan ever sounded close to the Byrds to me

Single #2 : D These sound like demos that have been mixed by a 2 year old. Terrible sound and largely throw aways. I wish he would have rethought this one.

Single #3: A- These two are legit. Especially the A side. If you like RnR and LIH era these are for you.

• Replies 745
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A couple weeks ago, I received an email from the Ryan Adams organization, promoting what appears to be Ryan covering Springsteen’s Nebraska, which I am very interested in hearing, and new tour dates,

Hey, Nodep - We talk about Ryan Adams a lot here, and let's just keep all things RA in one thread. The last thread is sprawling at over 50 pages and we need to start afresh anyway. I'll link them together.

So onward with Ryan Adams in general.

I'm not very familiar with this Pax Am singles business, so I'm glad you brought it up.

i'm enjoying all of the Pax-Am releases. here are my thoughts:

digi single 1 :

1. Lost and Found- awesome rocker that sounds like it was a b-side from Cardinology. kinda reminds me Asteroid.

2. Go Ahead and Rain (Sunflowers and Rain)- one of my favorite songs from the Dear Impossible album. i still feel that if this album was released instead of Cardinology, the Cardinals would be super-huge now! i love, love, love the lyrics to this song. Classic DRA.

digi single 2:

1. Allumette: this song sounds a little rough but its a gem nonetheless. Ryan claims that it was recorded at Sunset Sound in LA, but i kind of speculate that it may be a Garage Band demo. anyways, it would have fit in perfectly with Cardinology (as it was intended.) my only complaint regarding this song is how short it is.

2. What Color is Rain- this song has def. been a grower on me and it hasn't quite finished growing yet.

digi single 3:

1. Tomorrowland- great song! its got that UK rock band sound to it. Ryan's vocals are a bit heavier/ darker which contrasts the song's poppier melody. dunno when this song was recorded but i have a hunch that its from '06/ '07 around the Easy Tiger sessions.

2. Disco Queen- another rad song. if you don't find your shoes tapping along with this song, there may be a problem.

i'm enjoying all of the Pax-Am releases. here are my thoughts:

digi single 1 :

1. Lost and Found- awesome rocker that sounds like it was a b-side from Cardinology. kinda reminds me Asteroid.

2. Go Ahead and Rain (Sunflowers and Rain)- one of my favorite songs from the Dear Impossible album. i still feel that if this album was released instead of Cardinology, the Cardinals would be super-huge now! i love, love, love the lyrics to this song. Classic DRA.

digi single 2:

1. Allumette: this song sounds a little rough but its a gem nonetheless. Ryan claims that it was recorded at Sunset Sound in LA, but i kind of speculate that it may be a Garage Band demo. anyways, it would have fit in perfectly with Cardinology (as it was intended.) my only complaint regarding this song is how short it is.

2. What Color is Rain- this song has def. been a grower on me and it hasn't quite finished growing yet.

digi single 3:

1. Tomorrowland- great song! its got that UK rock band sound to it. Ryan's vocals are a bit heavier/ darker which contrasts the song's poppier melody. dunno when this song was recorded but i have a hunch that its from '06/ '07 around the Easy Tiger sessions.

2. Disco Queen- another rad song. if you don't find your shoes tapping along with this song, there may be a problem.

First of all love your descriptions. I thought the first two were pretty good and the last one was great.

Second - when you say the Dear Impossible album do you actualy have the whole thing or did you just do a comp or something? I have a lot of that stuff from rips people did off of Foggy and I think he even posted a tracklist somewhere at some point, but I never made a comp or anything. It would be pretty awesome if Dear Impossible showed up for sale on pax am at some point.

Also I think Lost & Found is the exact same version that's on the Sad Dracula record Fasterpiece.

I have been lucky to gather up the majority of Ryan's unreleased albums and I have heard of Dear Impossible and Sad Dracula, but never heard them. Are they out there?

Also, thanks for you guys posting the origins of some of these songs. I haven't always followed the Foggy happenings so sometimes are out of the loop.

I wish he'd officially put out "When The Wild Wind Blows" from Elizabethtown Sessions. What a gem.

all i have from Dear Impossible are the demos Ryan recorded at home. he took those demos to the Cardinals and they added their touch to them but those recordings have yet to surface. i remember the tracklist on Foggy as well! i used it to make my Dear Impossible compilation since a few of those songs the Cardinals recorded were just random songs Ryan had posted on Foggy. here's the listing i have on my ipod (foolishly, i didn't save the tracklisting from Foggy :ohwell )

Dear Impossible comp.

Dear Impossible

Kaleidoscope Eyes

OK, I Surrender

Roll Credits

Sunflowers and Rain

The Lights (I Was Loved)

Yes, I Know That Color

So Quiet It's Loud

Goodbye Sunshine

Please Hold On

Wild and Hopeless

nodep5, someone had put the first 7 of those files into a zip file and posted them on the RAA. i will try and track it down for you. in the meantime, a handful of those songs have been posted on the new Foggy. and that Sunflowers and Rain song was released on digi single 1 as Go Ahead and Rain.

Coltrane, do you have a tracklisting of that Sad Dracula album? when it gets to Sad Dracula, DJ Reggie, etc., i get confused. i have a folder called Foggy where i put all of these misc. songs but would like to organize them somehow, someday (haha.)

Well I thought Ryan's new adventure into digi singles requires its own thread. I haven't seen much press or reviews for the singles so i'm interested in what people think.

Single #1 : I give it a B- Cool tunes, but the kind of lyrics Ryan writes in his sleep. The B side features the first time Ryan ever sounded close to the Byrds to me

Single #2 : D These sound like demos that have been mixed by a 2 year old. Terrible sound and largely throw aways. I wish he would have rethought this one.

Single #3: A- These two are legit. Especially the A side. If you like RnR and LIH era these are for you.

Damn, single #2 is awful. The vocals buried, the bass PROMINENTLY featured. Sounds awful. Can't believe I paid for this one. I should have listened, huh?

Coltrane, do you have a tracklisting of that Sad Dracula album? when it gets to Sad Dracula, DJ Reggie, etc., i get confused. i have a folder called Foggy where i put all of these misc. songs but would like to organize them somehow, someday (haha.)

You may want to try here for Sad Dracula et. al.

all i have from Dear Impossible are the demos Ryan recorded at home. he took those demos to the Cardinals and they added their touch to them but those recordings have yet to surface. i remember the tracklist on Foggy as well! i used it to make my Dear Impossible compilation since a few of those songs the Cardinals recorded were just random songs Ryan had posted on Foggy. here's the listing i have on my ipod (foolishly, i didn't save the tracklisting from Foggy :ohwell )

Dear Impossible comp.

Dear Impossible

Kaleidoscope Eyes

OK, I Surrender

Roll Credits

Sunflowers and Rain

The Lights (I Was Loved)

Yes, I Know That Color

So Quiet It's Loud

Goodbye Sunshine

Please Hold On

Wild and Hopeless

nodep5, someone had put the first 7 of those files into a zip file and posted them on the RAA. i will try and track it down for you. in the meantime, a handful of those songs have been posted on the new Foggy. and that Sunflowers and Rain song was released on digi single 1 as Go Ahead and Rain.

You can see the tracklist he posted for Dear Impossible here...

http://thesteamengine.blogspot.com/2008/12/ryan-adams-dear-impossible-foggy-demos.html

I wish they had the rest of the posts Ryan made about this, because I really don't know if those indicated that these ever got to the Cardinals. I think he may have referenced taking them to the Cardinals at the time, but this was post Cardinology. I'm also pretty skeptical about anything that was on Foggy, which is what is around to listen to, being what was being referenced in the blog I linked. Eveything that is around is off Foggy before these sessions happened as far as I know. I need to see how many of these tracks I have.

Anyone who hasn't heard the track Goodbye Sunshine should really give it a listen. Good stuff.

You may want to try here for Sad Dracula et. al.

whoa, thanks for that link! that song Oblivion on the Sad Dracula Fasterpiece album is side A on that new pink Pax-Am 7" that everyone wants to hear. don't think many people know its out there, including myself up until now. thanks again!

You can see the tracklist he posted for Dear Impossible here...

http://thesteamengine.blogspot.com/2008/12/ryan-adams-dear-impossible-foggy-demos.html

I wish they had the rest of the posts Ryan made about this, because I really don't know if those indicated that these ever got to the Cardinals. I think he may have referenced taking them to the Cardinals at the time, but this was post Cardinology. I'm also pretty skeptical about anything that was on Foggy, which is what is around to listen to, being what was being referenced in the blog I linked. Eveything that is around is off Foggy before these sessions happened as far as I know. I need to see how many of these tracks I have.

Anyone who hasn't heard the track Goodbye Sunshine should really give it a listen. Good stuff.

ah, there it is. thanks for posting that. from what i recall, Ryan recorded some songs, which appeared on Foggy, and let the Cardinals listen to them. they then decided to record them in the studio. Ryan took some heat for this because it appeared as though the Cardinals weren't really a band, in the traditional sense, but more like back-up musicians for Ryan. he defended himself by saying that the band really liked his songs so it was pointless for them to work them out in the studio. looking back at this situation now, i can see how that comment could have really pissed him off which explains why the album was never released.

i'd like to know if that song, Sunflowers and Rain (Go Ahead and Rain) is Ryan solo or the Cardinals. if you listen to the version posted on the old Foggy, it sounds much more polished than the other Dear Impossible demos. i really, really wish these Pax-Am releases came with a file that explained when they were recorded and where they are from. i suggested this over at the RAA and am hoping someone behind the curtain sees it :shifty

whoa, thanks for that link! that song Oblivion on the Sad Dracula Fasterpiece album is side A on that new pink Pax-Am 7" that everyone wants to hear. don't think many people know its out there, including myself up until now. thanks again!

No worries. You could spend an inordinate amount of time with that thread. Personally, I still think 48 Hours is the best unreleased DRA (with Suicide Handbook a close 2nd).

No worries. You could spend an inordinate amount of time with that thread. Personally, I still think 48 Hours is the best unreleased DRA (with Suicide Handbook a close 2nd).

just got 48 Hours not too long ago and it is great. and of course Suicide Handbook is fantastic. can't wait until its released with instrumental/ orchestral accompaniment like it was intended. its gonna be like Gold on steroids.

just got 48 Hours not too long ago and it is great. and of course Suicide Handbook is fantastic. can't wait until its released with instrumental/ orchestral accompaniment like it was intended. its gonna be like Gold on steroids.

To my ears, 48 Hours is ready to go. My copy is definetly not the greatest sound quality, but you can tell that that is a complete album as is. That being said, Suicide Handbook, is my favorite of his unrealeased stuff. There are songs on there that just break my heart.

Suicide Handbook is brilliant (the version Touch Feel Lose is just killer), but 48 Hours has DRA's best two unreleases tracks: Karina and Born Yesterday. Both are DRA at his most passionate/most sincere.

I'm listening to Destroyer right now and wondering how it's taken me so long... this is as close to Heartbreaker as anything else he's done.

I saw Ryan in Birmingham in 98 or 99 after Whiskeytown was done and before Heartbreaker. It was this little solo tour he was doing to figure out what he was doing. Destroyer reminds me alot of that material. Playing alot of Hey There Mrs. Lovely, Statuettes, etc. I always liked this period of singer songwriter introspection stuff from Ryan. Yeah, Destoyer deserves a release too. Hell, lets just roll em all out, his 1/2 great stuff is great compared to most.

I saw Ryan in Birmingham in 98 or 99 after Whiskeytown was done and before Heartbreaker. It was this little solo tour he was doing to figure out what he was doing. Destroyer reminds me alot of that material. Playing alot of Hey There Mrs. Lovely, Statuettes, etc. I always liked this period of singer songwriter introspection stuff from Ryan. Yeah, Destoyer deserves a release too. Hell, lets just roll em all out, his 1/2 great stuff is great compared to most.

lucky! never seen him live. he likes to avoid NC :ohwell there are some cool soundboard recordings from a place here in Raleigh called The Brewery where Ryan played quite often. you can stream them for free right here; DRA @ The Brewery . those are the only Heartbreak era shows i have heard and they sound great.

• 4 weeks later...
PAX.AM

It's Halloween time again and fall has settled in round the Pax Am office where dust settles and birds caw a swollen autumnal leafy polka. Why not share in this pagan extravaganza by turning you fine folks on to a classic slab of meaty pink marble vinyl AND throw in a free jam just for kicks.

PAXAM 005

Also because hustla's never sleep I woke up from a nap and thought why not! So here are some cheap 7 inches you can get on the low down. They are PAXAM 005 "OBLIVION" b/w "People Need Sunlight" the first of which was made right before Easy Tiger came out right before I quit getting wasted. Those were wild and crazy times indeed and I have always loved this track. You can almost taste the pollution in my mouth. Oblivion has my NYC timekeepin goodtime lovin amazing bro Johnny T on drums and was produced by my bandmate and friend Jamie Candiloro.

The other was recorded at HomeStudios in our basement (people in CA don't have basements) out here in the golden land of westworld. The basics were made on my old computer before it washes away in the great Soda Flood of 09. Jamie C then took them to Sunset Sound out here and rounded out the edges and we put new exhaust pipes on it. Sunset is an amazing place where many a musician has passed out AND played a solo at the same time while hurling. All in a days not work.

Happy Halloween and Take Care of Yourself

and Live Every Moment To The Fullest

and Laugh With Your Loved Ones!!!!!

DRA

Pax-Americana Recording Company