Now Playing: September 2009

The album is pretty good and very enjoyable, but Dominoes gets repetitive, quickly.

What else did 4AD publish beside The Big Pink's A Brief History Of Love, St. Vincent's Actor, and Dark Was The Night. I haven't heard the new Mountain Goats and Atlas Sound's Logos (but assume it can't be awful because Bradford Cox is doing a good job so far).

I suppose three good albums is not bad although I've been on and off on Dark Was The Night.

while Dominoes does get repetitive, it's a killer single. still a lot better songs than it on there tho (in particular Velvet, which is the stronger single IMO).

the ones you've mentioned, plus Future of the Left, Camera Obscura, and if you're in the UK... M. Ward ;)

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

m40347p4g2p.jpg

Been listening to this over the past couple of days. Can't say it's blowing me away. Sounds great, but the songs just aren't that compelling.

You know, it's interesting. When I played that I had no real idea what to expect, and whether it would be crap or not. So, I ended up really digging it. I always wonder how our expectations color our view of music.

FWIW, the songs are what impressed me. It seemed like pretty straightforward punk-ish rock, but I thought there were enough little twists and turns in the songs that kept them interesting and fresh to me. Wasn't just a derivative rehash of stuff I've heard before.

I don't love the guy's voice, though.

NP: Popular Songs, YLT

NP:

wanted to hear some avett brothers so i checked them out on imeem. not bad. but now i'm listening to the rest of this station! everybodyfields right now.

you've never listened to Avetts before???? :o

listen to the first Gleam EP right now :pirate

You know, it's interesting. When I played that I had no real idea what to expect, and whether it would be crap or not. So, I ended up really digging it. I always wonder how our expectations color our view of music.

FWIW, the songs are what impressed me. It seemed like pretty straightforward punk-ish rock, but I thought there were enough little twists and turns in the songs that kept them interesting and fresh to me. Wasn't just a derivative rehash of stuff I've heard before.

I don't love the guy's voice, though.

I'm enjoying it to a certain extent. I like the guitar work quite a bit, and the rhythm section is solid if unspectacular.

The songs are ... just OK. Not great, not awful. Just OK. And yeah, I don't really like the main singer's voice. The other guy sounds a bit more interesting.

Not a bad purchase, but not something I'm likely to spin on a regular basis after its initial breaking-in period (which is ongoing).

NP:

g91185hxdrb.jpg