What's the consensus on Wilco (The Album)?

I was initially not impressed; in fact, maybe even downright disappointed. However, after repeated listening, it has grown in stature for me. I think that the best cut on the CD is ‘Country Disappeared’. I suspect most won’t agree with me. On another thread, folks were putting together a song list to use to turn on the unwashed, and that one wasn’t on anyone’s list representing Wilco (The Album).

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All the previous Wilco discs set up camp in my player and didn't leave for weeks. For some reason this one hasn't been played all that much in comparison. Having said that, I find with each listen I'm liking more and more songs on it. And yes, Country Disappeared is one of my favorite tracks as well.

At first, I listened to W(TA) incessantly. iTunes tells me I've listened to it about 50 times.

I was very impressed with it at first, initially thinking it was my second favorite Wilco album after Summerteeth. However, it doesn't seem to have had staying power with me. I find it difficult to remember individual songs. More likely, my initial euphoric reaction to it was because I think it's better than Sky Blue Sky, which I considered a disappointment.

So, after some time now, I have to say it's a very good album, but not great.

I like it, but it's one of my least favorite Wilco albums. I think One Wing, Deeper Down, and Solitaire are my favorites. Everlasting Everything remains my least favorite Wilco song.

that says it for me as well. it does not take a whole lot of risks short of Bull Black Nova. I like risks.....

i think the only opinion that matters is your personal opinion. Why should it matter what the consensus is? :dontgetit

You really don't give a shit at all, zero percent, no interest, could not possibly care less about what other people think of music?

I like that "Country Disappeared" tune. I hate that one that starts out "Come on children, you're acting like children, blah blah generation..."

I honestly don't really remember any of the other songs, except "The Song", for which I'm seethingly apathetic.

I don't think its a great record to be honest. I would love it to be but I do feel its lacking somewhat. Certainly a step down from Yankee/Ghost/Shy Blue. However, its still a lot better than most albums I heard this year. There's too many averaage songs on it to be considered great. Also, as mentioned above, the lyrics don't do anything for me at all. Its all just opinion though....and I still hate the album cover. I'm not into this 'Wilco are fun, don't take us seriously' vibe.

Pleasant, listenable, pretty good. I turn the album on as background music, and the next thing I know - it's over.

As pleasant as the album is, it hasn't made much of an impression on me. While some tracks are better than others, no individual song grabs me. I've been keeping an iTunes playlist for my favorite songs of 2009, but not one track from Wilco (the album) has made the cut.

I really gave this album a good deal of attention when it first came out. I pretty much tried to force myself to like it. I gave it at least 15 listens straight through. The problem is no songs really grab me or make any sort of emotional connection with me. When I like a song I can listen to the same song like 20 times in a row. W(TA) has no songs that I want to hit repeat and listen to again.

Much like Sky Blue Sky, it's an album I have been less and less interested in the more times I hear it. It's certainly not a bad record and in fact I find Deeper Down-One Wing-Bull Black Nova to be one of the strongest three song runs on any Wilco album. It's just the rest of the record aside from Solitaire that I am not sure I have use for. Wilco The Song and You Never Know have crossed the line from cute to irritating, and the rest of the album sounds like Sky Blue Sky.

But I don't kill the Talking Heads for Naked, I just listen to their better albums, the same can be said for Wilco. As Louie B pointed out in some thread on the Tongue Tied board not every album every band puts out has to be a masterpiece. Wilco might be at a stage in their career where they're no longer going to make albums I consider masterpieces, but a lot of people still like them, and they certainly haven't turned into disco-era Rod Stewart or anything. Still seeing what I perceive to be a creative decline over the last couple of records hasn't exactly been fun, but at the end of the day I'll just put on A Ghost is Born and pretend the last two Califone records were the follow ups to it.

--Mike

Much like Sky Blue Sky, it's an album I have been less and less interested in the more times I hear it. It's certainly not a bad record and in fact I find Deeper Down-One Wing-Bull Black Nova to be one of the strongest three song runs on any Wilco album. It's just the rest of the record aside from Solitaire that I am not sure I have use for. Wilco The Song and You Never Know have crossed the line from cute to irritating, and the rest of the album sounds like Sky Blue Sky.

But I don't kill the Talking Heads for Naked, I just listen to their better albums, the same can be said for Wilco. As Louie B pointed out in some thread on the Tongue Tied board not every album every band puts out has to be a masterpiece. Wilco might be at a stage in their career where their no longer going to make albums I consider masterpieces, but a lot of people still like them, and they certainly haven't turned into disco-era Rod Stewart or anything. Still seeing what I perceive to be a creative decline over the last couple of records hasn't exactly been fun, but at the end of the day I'll just put on A Ghost is Born and pretend the last two Califone records were the follow ups to it.

--Mike

After listening to a lot of Califone recently, I definitely see what you mean about wishing their last couple of albums were what Wilco had put out instead of SBS and W(TA).