hey, so what does everyone think about the nudie suits?

I like them...but I can never tell whether they are supposed to be a somewhat nostalgic tribute or if they are post-ironic snarky.

Either way...I like them.

Here's a snippet of an interview with Nels that pertains to the suits:

http://www.rollingstone.com/blogs/smokingsection/2008/09/wilco-new-suits-new-album.php

Nels: Well, it was all Jeff Tweedy's idea, certainly, and Jeff bought them for the band. So I asked if they had a Day of the Dead style suit -- with a skull and cross bones. And they said, "Well, yeah. Look at the jpeg." So I picked that one and I asked for angels on the back shoulders, which they added.

How long did the process take?

Nels: It was kind of a rushed job. The idea was born three months before Lollapalooza and it takes at least two months to get the suit, and they had to make not only enough for the whole band with different designs and different colors, but Jeff also ordered jackets for the Total Pros, our horn section. I think he just wanted to show to be very special for the local audience, for the Lollapalooza audience. Something for the local fans. And then we did wear them again at Tanglewood this year.

They're actually strangely comfortable to wear. It's hard for me to wear a jacket and rock out. I don't do it normally. But certainly in the service of the nudie suit glamour, one must suffer for fashion. I just kept looking around at everybody going, '"Damn! They look good!"

When you walked on stage at Lollapalooza, did you notice the crowd digging on the suits?

Nels: People freaked out. You know, they're made to look good up close and far away, glittering the whole time. Jeff's suit is the red one with the Korean Cat of Prosperity that's in all the sushi bars, the waving cat. I mean, that alone as an idea is so marvelous to me. John [stirratt] had the nautical one with the short-waist jacket, a-la Flying Burrito Brothers. Mike [Jorgenson] with his green one with the owls all over it and the phases of the moon going down the legs. Oh, man! They really mind-blowing. And they look so lovely under the lights. I felt fancy. It fit perfectly too.

Maybe these days, but there was a time when they were not. It has to do partly with the refusal of Bill Monroe to not dress like a country bumpkin, which is how country music singers dressed at one point in time. From Monroe's instance on bands members (and himself) wearing their Sunday best, the idea of more fancy and elaborate stage clothing was born (or at least somewhat).

There was a time when most all performers wore matching and/or stage clothes of some sort. Of course, this has to do with wanting to be noticed, among other things. That began to go by the wayside in the mid 1960s - at least in rock music circles (mostly). It could be said that even Jimmy Page's dragon suits were an extension of the Nudie suit idea.

I like when bands bust shit like this out. I saw Super Furry Animals last year, and they all wore suits decorated with bits of the Hey Venus album art. It's lame as hell, yea, and I wouldn't want every show to be that way. But "uniforms" every once in a while are cool.

I think Wilco wears them sparingly enough that they don't get old.

a nudie is rediculously expensive, costing $12,000 to $20,000. It is also the ultimate dress-up gear for a huge occasion and it makes an awesome stage appearance. they are tailor-made to fit perfectly so very comfortable to wear. im guessing jeff got one when he came to nashville (from Manuel who makes them now) and loved them so much he got them for the whole band. My fave has got to be stirrats nautical themed one with the high jacket and high pantlegs. I always thought nudies were awesome (im from nash, i can see how someone up north would think they are gawdy, just as wearing cowboy boots). Seeing them on my favorite band made me freak out in amazement. totally sexy. i wish i could look at them closer and see the detail.

I personally like them. I agree with what was said above though, I think they should be worn sparingly. Might get old fast. But I think Nels' is the most badass of them all, followed by Jeff's red one.

I always thought nudies were awesome (im from nash, i can see how someone up north would think they are gawdy, just as wearing cowboy boots).

If the suits weren't gawdy, I think the band would have to ask for their money back. ;)

They could do worse:

bootsy-collins-thumb-480x685.jpg

I think they should be worn sparingly.

Since the W(ta) photo shoots, it's possible fans have spent more time in the Nudies than some of the band members. :yay

I've yet to see the Nudies live, but I will continue to wait patiently.

Nels: I felt fancy.

:wub

I liked the Nudie Suites Mike Mills rocked from 94-99...maybe that influenced them too as they did tour together then? :lol

Yeah, I always liked him in that look. And as much as I love to see Wilco in full regalia, I always thought it was hilarious that it was just him.

• 11 months later...