Wilco -- 6/26/09, Saratoga, CA

I don't think I recall ever seeing as many yahoos up front as at this show. And Jeff openly mocked several of them, making for a pretty humorous evening... :lol

Considering the relatively early curfew -- 10:30 pm -- the band actually squeezed in a decent number of songs (though I'm pretty sure there was at least one audible from the printed setlist with Jeff nixing War on War after Cali Stars and going right into Jesus):

Wilco (the song)

IATTBYH

Bull Black Nova

Remember the Mountain Bed

One Wing

Muzzle of Bees

A Shot in the Arm

At Least That's What You Said

Impossible Germany

Forget the Flowers

California Stars

Jesus, etc.

Handshake Drugs

You Never Know

Hate It Here

Walken

I'm The Man Who Loves You

----------------------

Ashes of American Flags

Heavy Metal Drummer

--happy birthday to guitar tech Matrix--

Hummingbird

----------------------

The Late Greats

I'm A Wheel

Wine club VIPs and Wilco concerts don't mesh entirely well. We landed great 5th row seats through the pre-sale and were battling those yahoos up front all night. Especially the ones asking us to sit down during the first half...especially during Shot and ALTWYS. The guy insisted we were ruining others' experience by standing, till we told him he was ruining our experience so deal with it. The guy complaining about the sound obviously had no clue who Wilco was, yet was in the 1st row. "Do you tell The Who that they don't sound good?" Jeff did a great job of humorously berating all the random wine club snobs in the front rows. Especially when the woman came up with her daughter I think and wanted to meet Jeff and Jeff replied "Sorry, I'm busy putting on a show right now."

Great setlist. Aside from Shot and I'm a Wheel closer, a pretty mellow set. Even Jeff commented that because of the surrounding neighborhoods they had to keep it down a little. What a treat to see the band that close. It was my 7th Wilco show and I had never been closer than 100+feet before. Very surreal. So excited for the next two nights.

DSCN10981.jpgDSCN1084.jpg

11PM

Wilco will probably be on 8:30ish

Possibly a hair later for the band, the doors open at 6pm and the show starts at 7:30.

We are going very early be be as close as possible.

Thanks for the heads up on curfew.

Henry

Does anyone know the camera policy at The Greek Theater?

Hey, I know you!

Shouldn't be a problem with just a point-and-shoot. "No detachable lenses" is usually the rule.

Hey, I know you!

Shouldn't be a problem with just a point-and-shoot. "No detachable lenses" is usually the rule.

I can only guess who this is. I want to bring my SLR with long telephoto and I'm looking for someone who says I can!

Wine club VIPs and Wilco concerts don't mesh entirely well. We landed great 5th row seats through the pre-sale and were battling those yahoos up front all night. Especially the ones asking us to sit down during the first half...especially during Shot and ALTWYS. The guy insisted we were ruining others' experience by standing, till we told him he was ruining our experience so deal with it. The guy complaining about the sound obviously had no clue who Wilco was, yet was in the 1st row. "Do you tell The Who that they don't sound good?" Jeff did a great job of humorously berating all the random wine club snobs in the front rows. Especially when the woman came up with her daughter I think and wanted to meet Jeff and Jeff replied "Sorry, I'm busy putting on a show right now."

i haven't heard a good concert crowd interaction horror story in a while. thanks

Wine club VIPs and Wilco concerts don't mesh entirely well. We landed great 5th row seats through the pre-sale and were battling those yahoos up front all night. Especially the ones asking us to sit down during the first half...especially during Shot and ALTWYS. The guy insisted we were ruining others' experience by standing, till we told him he was ruining our experience so deal with it.

Yeah I had to deal with the same thing. I think I was 6th row, and I kept hearing some lady yell "SIT DOWN" from a few rows back during IATTBYH. I tried to ignore it, but then the usher came up next to me and asked "Can you please sit down for a while?" Now keep in mind there are five rows of people in front of me, and ALL of them were standing (and rightfully so) and if I sat down I wouldn't be able to see. In retrospect I should have refused, but instead I made some comment about it being "a fucking rock concert" and sat down for a couple songs. The people in front sat for a coupe slower numbers, but by the second half the show everyone was on their feet.

So the show was kinda ruined for me, a little bit. But otherwise it was fantastic.

Wow I didn't even realize there were so many uptight people in the front rows. We were back a bit off stage right and it looked like everyone was having a great time down in front. Our section was very mellow for the first half of the show but seemed to shake off their stupor and realize they were in fact at a rock concert. Standing and dancing ensued and we were able to finally enjoy ourselves without feeling like we were in someone's way. It was a beautiful venue for a show, even if the stage was smallish and the curfew was early. I found the sound quality to be pretty amazing, not overly loud but that's to be expected given the neighborhood.

Beautiful place! Was that fancy food served DURING the show?!?!

Don't let appearances fool you. Saratoga Mountain Winery remains one of my least favorite places in the Bay Area to see a concert. For too many of the patrons, the music seems to come second or maybe even third on their list of priorities for the evening. Blerg!

I was so grateful to have dancing fans around me...you know its a rock show and if you want to sit during the quiet stuff that's okay or go take a walkabout. We were in the 7th row by Nels and there was a fellow 2 rows in front with a laminate who turned out to be Jerry Garcia's drummer insisting everyone sit down. It was about to turn into a ruckus when Ricky leaned over and said "you never made us sit down at a Jerry show." :dancing Laughs all the way around and the rest of the night no problem :lol . Let's face it Silicon Valley and wine geeks make for an interesting mix. Beautiful space thanks for the pics ramie.