Is the new album SBS II ?

I haven't heard the new album yet, but i've read many of the descriptions posted here. It seems to me that WTA is kind of like Sky Blue Sky Vol. II.

I liked SBS, but i didn't love it all the way through like i love their previous albums. SBS seemed like half of a great album (either way and you are my face are superb, musically and lyrically), but half the tracks were lacklustre, mostly musically so.

It seems like combining SBS with WTA will result in a great album between them.

p.s. it's a good thing the new album isn't called "Wilco (the Full-length)", else the acronym would be WTF.

To use a film analogy WTA is perhaps the Life Aquatic to SBS' Royal Tenenbaums. It's very much it's own thing, but there are certainly a lot similarities to be found. Bill Murray, however, does not appear on WTA.

--Mike

There are similarities to be found like there are with AM, Being There, Summerteeth, and YHF. I think AGIB was drastically different than their previous albums, and SBS, WTA, are similar to AGIB in certain aways. So in other words, their first four albums all had similarities with each other, then the next three albums had similarities with each other. Make sense? :)

The formula is something like this:

[AM - Being There - Summerteeth - YHF] - All similar in certain ways (alt-country, rock, with some experimentation on all four albums)

[AGIB - SBS - WTA-???] - All similar in certain ways (firing Jay and adding Michael and Nels changed their sound)

[??? - ??? - ??? - ???] - The next four albums would all have to be similar to each other in some way, hence making a line-up change.

Maybe I'm no to something? Or too much time on my hands?

That acronym was already taken.

p.s. it's a good thing the new album isn't called "Wilco (the Full-length)", else the acronym would be WTF.

I'm real new to this forum, so I should tread lightly. Hopefully nothing I say here will terribly violate site gospel. But I think Sky Blue Sky is a tremendous album. I believe SBS is pretty much as experimental as the preceding two studio albums, but in a more organic, less conspicuous kind of way. Like others, I DO find moments in songs like Hate it Here and Walken that aren't my favorites -- but I also find other moments that totally redeem each of the songs. They're all keepers for me. I find the album really rewards repeated listenings -- it's had a growth curve like no other Wilco album for me.

In answer to the original question -- no, not remotely SBS II. If I had to pick a companion Wilco album, it would definitely be Summerteeth. To its detriment, I think. I didn't really discover Wilco until a few years ago, and did not experience their albums sequentially. Summerteeth was my last stop, and it was the the only one that disappointed me a little. Great songs, but the arrangements were w-a-y too poppy for me. For those of you who grew along with Wilco, and found the SBS step somehow lacking -- I have to tell you that passing thru YHF, AGiB and SBS -- and THEN hitting Summerteeth...well, that's a trip, too.

End of the day, I do love Summerteeth as well -- it's all relative, after all. And certainly one of the reason I've been obsessed with the band for the last few years is because of their variety, their willingness to experiment with different styles. But having flashbacks to what I consider their least interesting arrangements with (The Album) was a bit of a letdown for me.

[You find Summerteeth to be their least interesting arrangements?]

How is that possible?

And you never mentioned Being There or A.M. Have you not heard them?]

Re ST's arrangements -- Yes, it's true. I'll admit there's a lot happening there...but that doesn't mean they're particularly interesting. My first impression of the album was that every song was overproduced, with most of the pop devices extremely familiar. With repetition I've gotten more comfortable with them...does that mean I "get" the album in a way I did not initially? Or that the elements of the band I loved eventually overcame the other stuff? I don't know. But I'm pretty sure "trite" wasn't the effect they were going after, and that was my initially reaction to the album.

This is why I mentioned violating official dogma. Feel free to ignore the infidel!

Yep, I know and love both AM and BT. Especially the latter. And, again, I love Summerteeth as well. All relative...