Iron and Wine (Around The Well)

Anyone else looking forward to this collection of rarities. Granted I have many of these songs already, but boy I hope my 3 disc vinyl copy is awaiting me tonight at home. Hearing outtakes and rare tracks from all stages of his career sounds about as good as it gets.

Anyone else looking forward to this collection of rarities. Granted I have many of these songs already, but boy I hope my 3 disc vinyl copy is awaiting me tonight at home. Hearing outtakes and rare tracks from all stages of his career sounds about as good as it gets.

Do you know if the vinyl set allows you to download mp3s of the songs like most vinyl editions of his albums?

Do you know if the vinyl set allows you to download mp3s of the songs like most vinyl editions of his albums?

yes it does. All subpop vinyl comes with download coupons

I've given it a few spins thus far and really like it. Most of the stuff that I really like, I already had though. Trapeze Artist is such a great song and I really like the Love Vigilantes cover.

That said, I've actually liked the Fall 2007 release that he enabled for free download on his site quite a bit more thus far.

I've given it a few spins thus far and really like it. Most of the stuff that I really like, I already had though. Trapeze Artist is such a great song and I really like the Love Vigilantes cover.

That said, I've actually liked the Fall 2007 release that he enabled for free download on his site quite a bit more thus far.

Strange thing, I was one who kind of was lost on the Shephard's Dog, preferring the more stripped down intimate I & W. So boy was excited about the Fall 07 release and unfortunately it just fell flat. Those felt like true demos and nothing more. Anyway, maybe it is the lyrical content of those songs that miss a little for me. All I know is when I listen to every I & W release and outtakes up and till Shephards Dog I'm blown away and then i get to Shephards Dog and I feel a complete meh.

Yea, I really like Shepard's Dog so Fall 2007 was just a nice bonus.

Side note, I'd REALLY like to see him collaborate with Calexico again.

I was pleasantly surprised by In The Reins. Not a huge Calexico fan, but that seemed to work. For me, I think I & W suffers from my expectations. With bands like Wilco or Ryan Adams I tend to like everything no matter what style or direction. The I & W's, Son Volts, M. Wards I tend to think of the one album that floored me and I want all of the remaining albums to be like that. Does that make sense? it isn't fair to the musician or the new album listening experience, but I get stuck in that.

I was pleasantly surprised by In The Reins. Not a huge Calexico fan, but that seemed to work. For me, I think I & W suffers from my expectations. With bands like Wilco or Ryan Adams I tend to like everything no matter what style or direction. The I & W's, Son Volts, M. Wards I tend to think of the one album that floored me and I want all of the remaining albums to be like that. Does that make sense? it isn't fair to the musician or the new album listening experience, but I get stuck in that.

Agreed. I really liked The Shepherd's Dog but I never listened to it as much as The Creek Drank The Cradle. Don't know why. I'll probably buy this Around the Well record, Sam's a fairly prolific writer and has a lot of great non-album tracks.

I must have missed this.

I've listened through Around the Well today and I like it quite a bit.

Kinda pisses me off that I bought Shepherd's Dog through Sub Pop just so I could buy the Boy W A Coin single and get an "exclusive" CD with 2 songs and now all are on this. oh well. It was only $9.99 at Best Buy.

I have another single, I think Passing Afternoon with Forsaken, but I think it's a live radio take and this one is studio (or home studio i guess).

I must have missed this.

I've listened through Around the Well today and I like it quite a bit.

Kinda pisses me off that I bought Shepherd's Dog through Sub Pop just so I could buy the Boy W A Coin single and get an "exclusive" CD with 2 songs and now all are on this. oh well. It was only $9.99 at Best Buy.

I have another single, I think Passing Afternoon with Forsaken, but I think it's a live radio take and this one is studio (or home studio i guess).

i did the same thing, i ordered Shepherd's Dog through Sub Pop to have a lossless copy of the bonus disc. then, when my shipment was lost (along with others), they threw in the "Boy With A Coin" single for free, which was even better because i was really digging the .mp3 of "Carried Home." now, both are pointless. it is good that you have the "Passing Afternoon" single though, because that version of "Dearest Forsaken" is pretty nice. you are correct about that BTW, the Around the Well version was on the Sub Pop vinyl single series and is home studio...way out of print.

-justin

well it is friday and I'm held up in pre order limbo with no copy of Around the Well. Can someone explain to me the purpose of a pre order if the item doesn't come till a week after release date? Maybe the record industry wouldn't be in so much trouble if they could learn how to distribute their damn records. I swear, the only record company that gets things to me on release date or earlier is merge records. Anyone else, I'm usually waiting at least 3 days after release date.

Ok enough, this is bad karma for my odds of getting it today. I love subpop and I love preordering!

The CD version of this is $7.99 at Target this week. Also, they were on Jimmy Fallon a few days ago and played a new song.

wow!

i don't remember it being advertised in the Sunday flyer.

Loving this so far even though I had at least half of it already. It's nice to hear some of the stuff sequenced with a full album's worth of great songs, rather than having to pull out a CD single, which I hardly ever do. Granted, I could make my own Iron and Wine mixes, but I trust Sam to do a better job. And he did.

wow!

i don't remember it being advertised in the Sunday flyer.

Shocked me too. I was at the store and went back to check for the heck of it. I was surprised they even had it in the first place, but then to find it on an endcap for 7.99 was :thumbup . Two albums full of Beam for that price is truly a bargain. Regular price was only $9.99.

Shocked me too. I was at the store and went back to check for the heck of it. I was surprised they even had it in the first place, but then to find it on an endcap for 7.99 was :thumbup . Two albums full of Beam for that price is truly a bargain. Regular price was only $9.99.

no joke.

i wonder if i can sell OOP I&W singles on eBay for anything?

Ah man, my store had it for $9.99. They had the new Jason Lytle for $7.99. It shocked me that they had that.

My copy arrived today. Me and my wife were floored by the first disc. We had a few already, but all of these together is unbelievable. the third vinyl is just the Trapeze Swinger. I like to think of it as the indie rock stairway to heaven. What a collection.

Now I'm on to the second disc and this thing is just wonderful. I wish the liner notes (all I have is the vinyl copy) listed where each track came from. The only thing I would change is I would have chosen the slower version of Love Vigilantes that has been out for awhile.

Now I'm on to the second disc and this thing is just wonderful. I wish the liner notes (all I have is the vinyl copy) listed where each track came from. The only thing I would change is I would have chosen the slower version of Love Vigilantes that has been out for awhile.

correct me if i am wrong, but i was almost certain that "Love Vigilantes" was the same version as the one that has been out awhile, which is off of an iTunes-only compilation.

-justin