The Official Bob Dylan Thread

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Up until now, mustaches were just about the only thing Bob Dylan has had in common with TV cop shows. But on the November 3 episode of the CBS procedural drama "NCIS", we'll hear our very first taste of a long-unreleased Dylan song called "California".

The song comes from the same sessions that produced Dylan's 1965 acoustic/electric transitional classic Bringing It All Back Home, but it's been unheard since then, sitting in the vault for the better part of a half-century. Maybe if they'd had "NCIS" back in 1965, we would've heard it a long time ago.

Story Posted at Pitchfork (not the song):

Bob Dylan song

I found this by way of a post on Expecting Rain:

DYLAN - the missing Christmas album

i was so hyped to read that, until i clicked the link and noticed this written at the top of the page:

"The following spoof article appeared in the UK music magazine "New Musical Express" in 1975. I've included it here not only because it's pretty funny but also because the original list of unreleased Dylan songs that started this project off included three "mystery" names: FREEWHEELIN', NIGHTINGALE'S CODE and WOODSTOCK YULE. Somewhere along the line the fact that these were spoof titles had been lost, so I wanted to set the record straight. Remember, the article below is a hoax!"

• 2 weeks later...

Idiot Wind from Eric Clapton's B-day Bash

found this through Expecting Rain just a moment ago. here's what the video's description states:

Bob Dylan playing Idiot Wind on piano with Eric Clapton in a Malibu,CA studio on 3-30-76, Eric Claptons birthday.

the song starts out kind of rough but gets way better towards the end. too bad it didn't go on a little longer...

how often do you listen to Self Portrait or Dylan?

I don't own Dylan, but I listen to Self Portrait; not as often as other albums, but often enough.

Really enjoy: (taken of Wiki.)

1. "All the Tired Horses" (Dylan) – 3:12

2. "Alberta #1" (Traditional, arranged by Dylan) – 2:57

3. "I Forgot More Than You'll Ever Know" (Cecil A. Null) – 2:23

4. "Days of '49" (Alan Lomax, John Lomax, Frank Warner) – 5:27

5. "Early Mornin' Rain" (Gordon Lightfoot) – 3:34

6. "In Search of Little Sadie" (Traditional, arranged by Dylan) – 2:27

2. "Little Sadie" (Traditional, arranged by Dylan) – 2:00

5. "Living the Blues" (Dylan) – 2:42

1. "Copper Kettle (The Pale Moonlight)" (Alfred Frank Beddoe) – 3:34

3. "Minstrel Boy" (Live) (Dylan) – 3:32

* Recorded live August 31, 1969 at the Isle of Wight Festival.

4. "She Belongs to Me" (Live) (Dylan) – 2:43

6. "Alberta #2" (Traditional, arranged by Dylan) – 3:12

I don't own Dylan, but I listen to Self Portrait; not as often as other albums, but often enough.

Really enjoy: (taken of Wiki.)

Nothing wrong with 'Self Portrait' bar a lack of editing maybe. You can make a really nice 40 minute record out of it. I also really like 'All The Tired Horses' which is one of my favourite Dylan songs. I'm not saying its a masterpiece, but it makes me happy.

how often do you listen to Self Portrait or Dylan?

haha, fair point. Never to either. And never to some others too. It's just that every person that I know looks at me like I have 2 heads when I tell them that I like this Christmas album. Sure, maybe some of it is in the ironic cheeky way, but much of it is in a pure, fun, cool, way.

haha, fair point. Never to either. And never to some others too. It's just that every person that I know looks at me like I have 2 heads when I tell them that I like this Christmas album. Sure, maybe some of it is in the ironic cheeky way, but much of it is in a pure, fun, cool, way.

Well the fact that you're listening to a Christmas album in October might give a hint to the answer.

Well the fact that you're listening to a Christmas album in October might give a hint to the answer.

Nah. These are the folks that tease me about Dylan selling out to Victoria's Secret, and how terrible his voice is, and etc. etc. They don't get it. And this Christmas Album is the pinnacle of someone not getting it. They think anyone who would like this is either tone deaf, or a biased fan who would like anything that an artist puts out without questioning it.

I should have used that reply when I thought of it - when you first asked:

Someonehelp me figure out if the fact that I totally dig this new album isevidence (proof?) that I am a completely and hopelessly brainwashedDylan fanboy apologist?

:lol

Nothing wrong with 'Self Portrait' bar a lack of editing maybe. You can make a really nice 40 minute record out of it. I also really like 'All The Tired Horses' which is one of my favourite Dylan songs. I'm not saying its a masterpiece, but it makes me happy.

I'm not the type of person who thinks albums would sound better with less songs, but I'll agree with you here.

I'm in your same boat. the day the Christmas album leaked, I had it on my ipod and was listening to it in the car with a friend. that was a weird moment. btw, go and listen to Dylan! its def. a grower but once you work through the weird covers and back-up singers, you'll love it for life.

I actually really like the Dylan album - and Under the red sky (both of which most people hate)

Under the Red Sky has some really nice songs on it. I think people are put off by 'Wiggle Wigg;e' and don't give the rest a chance. I like tracks like 'Handy Dandy' and 'Cats In The Well'. They're very simple songs, musically and lyrically, but there's nothing wrong with that.

Can't agree about the 'Dylan' album I'm afraid. One of my favourites, that never gets loved, is 'Saved'. I think people can't stomach the message but songs like 'Pushing On' are really powerful.

I can't listen to Christmas music until at least thanksgiving but I"m a sucker for it. I have no doubt I will love the Dylan album and I am actually really looking forward to playing it for the first time (in November). Hell, I may buy copies for all my friends and share the spirit.

i love saved. when i listen, i mentally replace lord w/ baby or woman ;-) musically, that album is so damn good.

i kinda like 'Dylan' too. have it on vinyl.

Replacing the good lord with an object of sexual desire! Blasphemy. Burn him!!! ;)

One of my favourites, that never gets loved, is 'Saved'. I think people can't stomach the message but songs like 'Pushing On' are really powerful.

err, 'pressing on'!..

The thing i dont like about Saved is that the songs were played live really often before the album was recorded. when the band went into the studio, it sounded stale and dry. they sounded much better on stage, where they sounded much more fresh. its more of a production issue than the songs themselves

err, 'pressing on'!..

The thing i dont like about Saved is that the songs were played live really often before the album was recorded. when the band went into the studio, it sounded stale and dry. they sounded much better on stage, where they sounded much more fresh. its more of a production issue than the songs themselves

Thanks for the correction. Not sure where I got 'Pushing On! from'. The brains a funny thing sometimes!!