Jeff Tweedy February 7, 2009 - Letters To Santa Living Room Show

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MChris is getting pissed! I don't have the setlist, but here are some details for now...

-Jeff shed his jean jacket early on to reveal a sweater vest with a collared shirt underneath. We all got a nice laugh over it. Apparently, his son (don't know which one) described it as "hipster indie" or something like that.

-Magazine Called Sunset got us rolling around 7:40PM or so.

-Erin played on both Hummingbird and Jesus Etc. She did awesome, of course.

-Fake Plastic Trees!

-Feed of Man was killer. I like how Jeff says "I'll give it a shot", then rips it to shit. First time played solo according to wilcobase.

-Let's see what else...Shouldn't Be Ashamed, Less Than You Think, Wishful Thinking, California Stars, Always In Love, Via Chicago, When You Wake Up Feeling Old, New Madrid, Ruling Class, Not for the Season, Radio King, Strangers (!), Mountain Bed, Late Greats, IATTBYH, War on War (duet!), Family Gardener, and about a dozen more. I think Edie has the full list including who requested what.

-Solitaire and another new song debuted for us (Deeper Down?). My favorite of the new songs so far.

Other notes/teasers:

-Jeff said they're "about 68%" done with the album.

-the stories and humor details will have to wait...and pictures I'm sure.

All around great time. Thanks to all the Gliers for hosting. Great food, drinks, deserts, etc. Also great to see/meet some great people.

Best laughter of the evening? Lots of them to choose from, as it was a really funny and fun evening as always, but possibly the mid-show phone call to Susan from Jeff's dad, who apparently was testing out a new cell phone. After a few exchanges, he and Jeff can't decide on a song for Jeff to play for him. Then after a short pause, Dad announces he's naked. :stunned :lol Later on Jeff and Susan shared some "Wisdom from Dad." Here's one ... advice from Dad to Susan every time they get in the car to leave after a visit: "Keep your legs together."

I also enjoyed the bit where Jeff threatened to punch out Chris H2 after Chris once again continued his pursuit to "stump the rockstar." (Paging Chris to elaborate!)

The Gliers were incredible hosts and provided such a beautiful buffet spread in their lovely home (see poster above on right) and a wonderful room for the concert, we can not thank them enough. Erin & Morgan both have such cool and generous families to open their homes to us crazy fans. Edie was the master Master of Ceremonies and I am so lucky to have you as my partner and adviser throughout the cycle of this wonderful event, along with the master of sound production, Warner, who is the best sound guy and all-around guy anybody could wish for. Huge thanks to everyone who attended and donated and participated in the show and the special camraderie that keeps building every year ... missing you already! But the biggest thanks of all, of course, goes to the Tweedys for giving of their time and talent and energy and genuine kindness to us fans, but mostly showing us the real goodness that comes from people sharing. :)

Oh - and honorable mention to Mother Nature, who blessed us with unseasonably warm weather and melted snowpiles and no travel issues for out-of-towners. Lucky us, early February in Chicago is not usually so nice! Plus a near full moon seen in a starry sky!!!

Oh yeah - Jeff gave me a pick that says "Built by Wendy" as a thank you and told me now I have to learn to play guitar. :wub

-Jeff shed his jean jacket early on to reveal a sweater vest with a collared shirt underneath. We all got a nice laugh over it. Apparently, his son (don't know which one) described it as "hipster indie" or something like that.

"Indie pimpin'", I think. :lol

It was such a great evening. More Like the Moon (my request) was one of my favorite moments, but Feed of Man, Fake Plastic Trees, and Strangers were also completely awesome.

I took some pics and will post a link after I get home from work. I loved seeing all of you! Thank you to the Gliers for such a lovely spread, to Wendy and Edie for being fabulous organizers, to Warner for recording, and to Jeff and Sue for an amazing night and for sticking around after the show to shoot the breeze with us!! :wub :worship

Don't mean to step on Edie's toes (and I don't have who requested what), but here is the setlist:

1. Magazine Called Sunset

2. Shouldn't Be Ashamed

3. Hummingbird (w/Erin on violin)

4. Pieholden Suite

5. Blasting Fonda

6. Radio King

7. Family Gardner

8. Be Not So Fearful

9. Someday Some Morning Sometime

10. Feed Of Man

11. Solitaire

12. Wilco The Song

13. Jesus, etc. (w/Erin on violin)

14. Fake Plastic Trees

15. More Like The Moon

16. Nothingsevergonnastandinmyway(again)

17. Wishful Thinking

18. Less Than You Think

19. The Ruling Class

20. Not For The Season

21. Remember The Mountain Bed

22. The Late Greats

23. I'm Always In Love

24. Via Chicago

25. Deeper Down (new song)

26. Strangers

27. War On War (duet with Lisa)

28. IATTBYH

29. New Madrid

30. Bob Dylan's 49th Beard

31. When You Wake Up Feeling Old

32. California Stars

33. Passenger Side

34. You and I (dedicated to Sue from Jeff)

Without further ado -- here it is.

Letters from Santa LRS

Winnetka, IL

02/07/09

Magazine Called Sunset - Morgan

Shouldn't Be Ashamed - Warner

Hummingbird (with Erin on violin) - Tim (Erin's dad)

Summer Teeth - Kristen (in the key of F -- as pointed out by Jeff)

Blasting Fonda - Wendy

Radio King - Rick

Family Gardner - Molly

Be not so Fearful - Russ

Some Day, Some Morning, Some Time - Heather

Feed of Man - Lori

Solitaire (new) - Charles

Wilco the Song - Edie

Jesus etc. (with Erin on violin) - Sara

Fake Plastic Trees - Kevin

More Like The Moon - Elizabeth

*Pee Break*

Nothingsevergonnastand - Jamie

Wishful Thinking - Rich

Less Than I Think - Spencer (not Tweedy)

Ruling Class - Ken

Not for the Season - Stacy

Remember the Mountain Bed - Matt

Late Greats - Jeremy

I'm Always in Love - Ken

Via Chicago - Jenna

Deeper Down (new) - Chris H

War on War (Jeff/Lisa on vocals) - Chris N

I Am Trying To Break Your Heart - Lisa

New Madrid - Erin

Bob Dylan's Beard - Stephanie

When You Wake Up Feeling Old - John

California Stars - Woody

Passenger Side - Vicky

You and I (new song) - Jeff (yes Jeff Tweedy requested a song!)

I'll embellish with more little details later, but upon threat of death, here it is :lol One thing I will say is that even though he played close to 35 fabulous songs, it still felt like there were so many that I wanted to hear!

Oh and if something is wrong, please call it out!

One thing I will say is that even though he played close to 35 fabulous songs, it still felt like there were so many that I wanted to hear!

So true. I really enjoyed this group of songs though. I felt we had a little of everything.

Somehow, I forgot about the new song at the end. That makes 2 brand spankin' new tunes we heard, as well as Solitaire and Wilco the Song. Very cool. (I know they were solo versions, but I encourage everyone to put away any nervousness about the new album. :thumbup )

Strangers?

cover?

Kinks

That poster on the left is pretty much cool.

I think so too! I love them both, but this one by my friend Matt Kelley's Fort Wayne ad agency is really special IMO. He's the guy trying (and succeeding!) to bring better live music to Fort Wayne. They do real good work and are musicians too.

(I know they were solo versions, but I encourage everyone to put away any nervousness about the new album. :thumbup )

:yes

He played Everlasting Everything (not sure that's the correct name...) during the soundcheck, and in response to Edie saying it had a pretty On & On & On vibe, he said something to the effect of, "the whole album is like On & On & On." Edie or Kevin will have to verify this; I was just eavesdropping on my way to the bathroom. :heehee

Also, poor Jamie (who was sick as a dog all weekend) made the cutest little charms for everybody, so we got another souvenir in addition to the posters! Thanks, Jamie!!

As if I weren't already completely jealous...there's POSTERS, too?? Gahhh. :lol

Sounds like you guys had an absolutely fantastic evening. Congrats! I'm sure Letters to Santa really appreciates your generosity.

Deeper Down (new) - Chris H

Cool story here. The initial request was for Nothing Up My Sleeve (from the YHF demos). Jeff swore that he had no idea what this song was. Which resulted in some back and forth with us singing it to him, and him insisting that he has no idea what it is. So, as a consolation prize, Chris demanded a "new song" that has "never been played before" that will be on the new album. Tough crowd indeed. The debut of Deeper Down was the result.

Nice work, Chris. :)