I built another guitar

So...I just completed building my second guitar. A couple months back I started a thread where I built a daphne blue telecaster, which was the guitar I "learned" how to build, refinish, etc. with.

Anyway, so I built another guitar...similar in color. This one is sonic blue. Pickups are Kinman. The body is one-piece alder from Warmoth. The neck is custom made by Musikraft -- 1 11/16" nut width, 59 roundback profile, medium jumbo frets and short scale (24 3/4").

Here's a little sound clip from one of my songs, using this guitar.

Here are some pics:

IMG_0734.jpg

IMG_0730.jpg

Alright, I want to build a guitar starting next fall, and was wondering where I should go to learn how to do it and how much I should be looking to spend. Any tips?

That's a beauty, by the way.

^^^ I learned everything from reranch.com/reranch. It's an awesome forum dedicated to guitar refinishing and building.

EDIT: you can build a really nice guitar for $500. It just depends on wood choice, pickups, anything custom -- this one cost me about $1k.

That looks great. Any chance you can post side by side photos of both guitars?

EDIT> Nevermind, I realized I could do it myself. I wanted to compare colors and other details. I see the saddles and the neck pickup are different. The colors look almost identical in these photos. I'm sure the difference is more pronounced looking at it through a human eye rather than a camera lens.

Once again, great work!

1st project:

Tele1.jpg

2nd project:

IMG_0730.jpg

The colors look almost identical in these photos.

I agree -- the pictures really don't do it justice. Really, the one with the humbucker in the neck is far more green that the newer one. I would take a picture with one next to the other, but I recently moved and only have one with me.

Anyway, thank you for the compilments.

Same way I started. You should give it a shot. Reallly, it's not a big deal.

That gives me hope, since those guitars look pretty damn great. I'd really like to build a Jazzmaster, but I'm thinking a Tele would probably be much easier.

I'm thinking a Tele would probably be much easier.

97% of my reasoning on building these guitars. Jazzmasters are really quirky guitars -- I have a factory-built one. I'm not of the experience level to accomplish one yet.

I'm thinking a Tele would probably be much easier.

97% of my reasoning on building these guitars. Jazzmasters are really quirky guitars -- I have a factory-built one. I'm not of the experience level to accomplish one yet.

Alright, I want to build a guitar starting next fall, and was wondering where I should go to learn how to do it and how much I should be looking to spend. Any tips?

Depends on what you wan't really. You can buy a body,neck,pups, and hardware and pretty much put it together with a few nuts and bolts and a soldering iron. Go have it setup and your ready. Or you can go the other route and buy wood blanks(body,neck,fretboard....ect)and router,file,sand,glue, and what have you. It's just what you wan't to put into it. Building from nothing but two blank pieces of wood requires alot of tools, time, and someone to guide you along the way. If you know a Luthier or someone with a wood shop, I would go in that direction. The only manufactured parts I buy are tuners, pups, and strings. There are some great books on Stew Mac that you could look into.

And Nice Relic Job on project 2!

You love those Kinman's? I've bee looking at the Joe Barden's but they may be a little out of my league as far as money goes. Heard good things on Kinman's.

You love those Kinman's? I've bee looking at the Joe Barden's but they may be a little out of my league as far as money goes. Heard good things on Kinman's.

Yeah, the Kinmans sound pretty good. They were a little pricey, but I was really going for a nice guitar on this one, so I went for them.

Yeah, the Kinmans sound pretty good. They were a little pricey, but I was really going for a nice guitar on this one, so I went for them.

How much you talkin'? I really wan't those Barden's for my tele/strat hybrid but each one is around $200.00.

How much you talkin'? I really wan't those Barden's for my tele/strat hybrid but each one is around $200.00.

I think they were something like $270 for the set. They sound awesome, but I think there starts to be a diminishing value on your return after a certain point.....but then again....

I have always heard great things about Curtis Novak pickups also.