Best NORD keyboard ?

• 2 weeks later...

i have a roland 40 watt speaker and it works wonderfully.

and no, i dont think the electro II is out of your league at all. its fun for everyone, professionals and recreational musicians. im not exactly a professional either (far from it), and i enjoy mine quite a lot.

ok so ive researched the the Electro II and im starting to become obsessed with the idea of having one and playing around on one. Ive found youtube videos on it and they sound great. There is a difference of $400 from the 73 key version to the 61 key version. Is it worth spending the extra for the extra keys? i dont know if i need the extra keys...

• 4 weeks later...

OK, the Stage is not just the Lead and the Electro combined. And Michael uses a Stage now, he used to use an Electro 2.

Basically, the Electro 2 just does the organs and electric and acoustic pianos and some of the effects. The Stage does all those, but it has hard drive space for different samples of all of them, and you can split/layer the organs and the pianos together.

The biggest, most important difference for me is the acoustic piano sounds. The acoustic pianos on the Electro 2 sound terrible, they are tons better on the Stage, and you have a couple of different ones, and on all the Nords you can update your sound library and choose your favorite samples from the Nord website.

Then, obviously, you have all the analog synth stuff on the stage that you would have on the lead, but you don't have the Mellotron like you have on the Nord Wave has.

I work for a Nord dealer, so that's why I know all this stuff. Plus they fuckin rock. Even the Electro rocks the shit out of most other keyboards for doing those vintage kind of sounds

yeah... the stage is just that -- meant for stage use... which is why it has so many features packed into one unit.

really, any gear question can be answered by another question - what do you want to do with it? i have an electro 61 and i love it... it's tiny, portable, versatile, and incredibly capable...

nord's philosophy is much in line with what jorgensen (sp?) says in the wilco book - would you rather have something that is built like a swiss army knife - kind of good at a lot of things - or built for one specific purpose, and really good at that. everybody that i talked to that relies on a nord says the same thing - it is amazing at the few things that it does.

i for one am very happy with the acoustic piano samples, especially since you have such a choice if you use the different samples from the website to update your unit via usb. and i originally set out to find the best 'digital' organ, and ended up with a great stage piano / electric piano / clav to boot.

if i wanted more synth sounds i'd probably upgrade to a stage, but i can't afford it! considering how little i ever do in terms of synthesizers, i'd probably be ok with one of those radio shack manufactured moog concertmates on top of my nord electro. ultra-portable rig and capable of some extraordinary things.

mikael does use a stage; he has been seen using an electro 61 backstage for 'acoustic' warmups before shows with the band. i'm pretty sure i see a red something or other on pat's side, too - i think to my knowledge its a triton for piano sounds, korg something or other for organ, and nord lead or something for synth? someone else here could probably verify that better...

but yeah, for my money, i wouldn't have it any other way. the great thing about nord/clavia is they understand that people don't want to deal with a bunch of digital menus/interfaces when it comes to making music - so i like the fact that everything is pretty much laid out right in front of you, and every parameter is easily available to tweak with your FINGERS

i'm rambling now, but you get my drift. nord! woohoo

jvh

• 1 month later...
the great thing about nord/clavia is they understand that people don't want to deal with a bunch of digital menus/interfaces when it comes to making music - so i like the fact that everything is pretty much laid out right in front of you, and every parameter is easily available to tweak with your FINGERS

You've got it on the money. It's all about the the knobs, the buttons, the LEDs. The old school simplicity. Nord figured out that a lot us don't want menus and LCD screens. They have not only created keyboards that SOUND like classic vintage keyboards, but you can also use them in the same way (ie sit down, and just play them!). In the process they have gone beyond mere emulation and created new and exciting musical instruments with character and funk.

I use a Nord Electro 2 73, and love it (as does the band and everyone who hears it). If I didn't have one and was in the market for a new keyboard now, I'd get a Stage Compact 73 for the layering/splitting and Synth sounds. Although adding a Wave to my current setup would be pretty cool also. That would get me the Synth stuff, and a Mellotron!

428006307_7450a3ce6b.jpg

^ My axe

I've been tooling around with the Wave. That's the next one up. Synth wise, unless you're looking to drop $10,000, I don't understand why everyone in the world doesn't own one of these things. I don't know if it's just me, but it's absolutely spectacular.

The only reason I have mine is because my house was broken into. The insurance company paid off more than generously, but the number of items that disappeared simply weren't worth replacing. Then, boom, sweet deal via musician's friend. A series of strange circumstances, but ultimately a nice result.