The Jayhawks (including Louris, Olson, and related)

I figure I will probably play The Jayhawks release the most. For me, they are tops, along with Uncle Tupelo, and Blue Mountain, of course.

Also - the booklet is great, a lot of text to read, and some great notes on the unreleased songs.

I agree with you there about which one to play the most. The booklet notes were done by a Minneapolis local who also posts on the Jayhawksfanpage board. Still waiting for my Deluxe version in the mail.

• Replies 529
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was thinking they were written by someone with some serious knowledge of the band. I just saw this at the Jayhawks Fanpage:

Amazon.com/MP3.com digital bonus tracks:

Born A Billionaire (Smile demo)

Plastic Eyeball (Smile demo)

I Remain Respectfully (Smile demo)

Save Me From Myself (RDM demo / b-side)

Second Nature (1999 demo)

Amazon also has a video of a 1993 live performance of Settled Down Like Rain (see if you can spot your FanPage webmaster in the audience!) and a promo video for the anthology with commentary from Gary Louris and Mark Olson.

And at select Independent record stores a 7" vinyl record will be available with purchase of Music From The North Country: The Jayhawks Anthology. It will feature "Blue" and "Darling Today". Go to recordstoreday.com for more info and please check with your local indie store to see if they are participating.

Also, a thread about the re-issue work.

Jayhawks Official Site

I think they should have put Tampa To Tulsa on the anthology.

Podcasts

Welcome to the first episode of the Jayhawks podcast. Throughout this four-part series, band members Gary Louris and Mark Olson discuss their history as one of America’s most influential roots-rock bands of the last 20 years. Musicians Jeff Tweedy and Joe Henry and Rick Rubin also comment.

Featured music clips include a mix of their best-known tracks and rarities from Music from the North Country: The Jayhawks Anthology, the new two-disc set in stores from American/Legacy on July 7.

Part 2 of The Jayhawks podcast begins with the legend of how they were signed to Rick Rubin’s (Def) American Records. Gary Louris and Mark Olson look back on the “Hollywood Town Hall” sessions, the initial reaction when it was released in 1992, and how it felt to be alt-country in the time of grunge (aka “the real music.”) Joe Henry also adds his memories of when the Jayhawks toured as his backup band.

• 8 months later...

Jayhawks Fan Page

04/02/10 Maybe I should put !!! after the news that Lost Highway will FINALLY be releasing the Bunkhouse album on May 18th. Here's a link to the information on the CD package at Amazon.com (The Jayhawks)(aka The Bunkhouse tapes). This is the Jayhawks' first album The Jayhawks (1986) re-issued for the first time with the original 13 tracks. It will also be available on vinyl and MP3. It's about time. I managed to (d'oh!) accidentally give away my bootleg copy years ago so I've been bunkhouseless for a long time.

There are plans to re-issue the Hollywood Town Hall (1992) and Tomorrow The Green Grass (1995) albums with bonus tracks in early June. Plans are also underway for a few Jayhawks shows to coincide with their release

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Jayhawks’ Mark Olson Solo Record Due

Mark Olson, of The Jayhawks of course, will be releasing his new full-length, Many Colored Kite, on Ryko July 27. It's the solo follow-up to his 2007 "personal milestone" Salvation Blues, a soul-searching album of loss and change that further cemented Olson's reputation as one of the true heroes of the folk/roots scene; also, in 2009 Olson teamed up with his old Jayhawks partner Gary Louris for the acclaimed Ready For the Flood, and the duo also put the Jayhawks back together for a string of reunion concerts to promote Music From The North Country: The Jayhawks Anthology.

It's a hopeful Olson that greets the listener on Many Colored Kite, with its earthy, neo-folk feel that encompasses classic and ‘60s British folk as well as the "desert country" he's been associated with in the past. Produced and engineered by Beau Raymond (Devendra Banhart, Little Joy, Mark Olson and Gary Louris) and featuring the core group of Olson, Neal Casal and Danny Frankel, this is a wide-eyed, uplifting album with soaring, ethereal harmonies contributed by his girlfriend and musical partner, Ingunn Ringvold.

The opening track, "Little Bird of Freedom" (with backing vocals by Jolie Holland), sets the tone of the album: these are songs by a man who's made it through the eye of the tempest and is looking at the world as if he's seeing it for the first time. Elsewhere Many Colored Kite's airy, uncluttered songs celebrate life and nature ("Wind and Rain, "Morning Dove") and love ("Blue Bell" and "No Time to Live Without Her," featuring Vashti Bunyan).

Who's playing as the Jayhawks these days besides Mark & Gary?

I downloaded some of the songs from the Anthology a while back. I really dig that song Stone Cold Mess (Cool, Cool Water).

Marc Perlman, Karen Grotberg, and Tim O'Reagan

As far as I know.

That's not what they did when I saw them in Spain last summer. However, that wasn't three hometown shows in a row.

Where did you see them? I saw the the previous year, I think it was, at Azkena.

just got Ready for the Flood. i should really love it. not clicking though. need to work on it a bit more i think. wanna check out salvation blues too.

just got Ready for the Flood. i should really love it. not clicking though. need to work on it a bit more i think. wanna check out salvation blues too.

Ready for the Flood is problematic. I think it's under-produced and a bit too indulgent. The lack of energy hurts it. The Salvation Blues is a better album IMHO. Mark and Gary have always produced superior results under an organized task-master. For RFTF, they had their buddy Chris Robinson.

Ready for the Flood is problematic. I think it's under-produced and a bit too indulgent. The lack of energy hurts it. The Salvation Blues is a better album IMHO. Mark and Gary have always produced superior results under an organized task-master. For RFTF, they had their buddy Chris Robinson.

good points. i don't get chris robinson working with them? i know they're friends, but really, who could hang out with chris robinson all day much less record an album. as with most albums these days, ten songs would've been enough. it's growing on me though.

as with most albums these days, ten songs would've been enough. it's growing on me though.

Have to agree with this. The advent of Cd's was a nightmare in some ways as it gave artists 80 minutes to play with as opposed to the 45 minutes of vinyl. RFTF, as with most albums released in the digital age, could lose a couple of tracks a be much better for it.

:lol It's 1995 all over again!

was just going thru the posts and i said the same thing right before i saw your reply. man '95 was a good year. The No Depression Era. First time I saw the Jayhawks, Wilco opened for them at the 40 Watt in Athens GA. I think I need to build a 1995 playlist tonight. J-hawks, Wilco, SV, Buckner, Old 97s, Blue Mountain and on and on and on. Great post all.

Have to agree with this. The advent of Cd's was a nightmare in some ways as it gave artists 80 minutes to play with as opposed to the 45 minutes of vinyl. RFTF, as with most albums released in the digital age, could lose a couple of tracks a be much better for it.

i think it would be cool if artists put out a tight, 10 song album and then released and ep of outtakes or whatever 6months to a year later. it would keep fans happy and be more product to sell.