The inevitable sell out post

I'm not sure what the big deal is. So you hear the tune on a t.v. instead of a radio.

In this day of iPods and satellite radio and iTunes and every other way to hear/buy music, artists need to hit various mediums.

I wasn't too happy with hearing/seeing the Meat Puppets on a very early version of the show 90210 at first. After thinking about it, it was actually pretty damn funny. I can't get caught up in how they decide to market themselves or earn a paycheck. It's not my music.

• Replies 816
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

war on war was in an ad before and i love hearing wilco every time this ad comes on

Exactly

I don't think I've ever bought a cd after watching a comercial.But I might if I saw that one.Why you ask,because they gave it to me for free. :monkey

Others are clearly better able to separate the song from the ad.

:worship

I also don't understand the original poster's condeming of somone he doesn't know. like I said before, do you know anyone in the band as a friend? then don't lose respect for him because of your assbackwards perspective on how the decision could have happened. No one here knows how exactly the decision was made and what the line of thinking was, so I don't think it's a very valid argument to say they've sold out and I don't think you're being fair to yourself to have music ruined because you have paranoia against commercials.

I also don't understand the original poster's condeming of somone he doesn't know. like I said before, do you know anyone in the band as a friend? then don't lose respect for him because of your assbackwards perspective on how the decision could have happened. No one here knows how exactly the decision was made and what the line of thinking was, so I don't think it's a very valid argument to say they've sold out and I don't think you're being fair to yourself to have music ruined because you have paranoia against commercials.

It

have read a number of these interviews and fail to see this "commercial development" you seem to refer to.

Also, I have listened to Sky Blue Sky roughly 100 times by now and nowhere in there did I hear anything that screamed at me "Car Ad." Also, "Is That The Thanks I Get?" was a song Jeff wrote for another singer to sing, if I remember the story right.

None of these songs were written specifically for a TV commercial, but you seem to think they were; that this is an album filled with car jingles. I think you're wrong.

Your bitching and moaning that they've "sold out" is completely outdated. So what? They have a few fucking songs in commercials. Why does that get your panties in a bunch?

And, most importantly, how exactly does Wilco's music being in a commercial effect your life in such a negative manner? Don't like it? Ignore it and go on your merry way.

And if it makes you hate the band so much you refuse to buy the albums or go to the shows...good. One less person I have to battle with for tickets.

AMEN TO THAT IF YOU DONT LIKE IT DONT BUY IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

have read a number of these interviews and fail to see this "commercial development" you seem to refer to.

Also, I have listened to Sky Blue Sky roughly 100 times by now and nowhere in there did I hear anything that screamed at me "Car Ad." Also, "Is That The Thanks I Get?" was a song Jeff wrote for another singer to sing, if I remember the story right.

None of these songs were written specifically for a TV commercial, but you seem to think they were; that this is an album filled with car jingles. I think you're wrong.

Your bitching and moaning that they've "sold out" is completely outdated. So what? They have a few fucking songs in commercials. Why does that get your panties in a bunch?

And, most importantly, how exactly does Wilco's music being in a commercial effect your life in such a negative manner? Don't like it? Ignore it and go on your merry way.

And if it makes you hate the band so much you refuse to buy the albums or go to the shows...good. One less person I have to battle with for tickets.

AMEN TO THAT IF YOU DONT LIKE IT DONT BUY IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sigh

Guest Speed Racer
Sigh – if you took the time to read my posts, which, you obviously have not – you would know and understand that I love the band – smitten you might say – have been since the inception and demise of Uncle Tupelo – you would understand this if you simply read and understood what I have written – you would.

You either chose to take the simple, reactionary route, declaring that I hate the band, in spite of all the evidence to the contrary, or again, you couldn’t be bothered to read what has been said before posting such inanity.

Let me say it again – I love the band – I am simply disturbed by their choice to sell, from what I’ve heard, up to five songs for the sake of advertising – is that clear enough? I’m concerned the way you would be concerned for a loved one whom you think is making some negative, short-sighted decisions. If I hated the band as you claim, why would I be so concerned? We wouldn’t be having this discussion – you know?

I think the poster you're quoting understands you. Everyone does. Trust me. I think what he/she may be getting at is that a band is making decisions - YOU are ascribing the shortsightedness of the decisions.

The response wasn't reactionary, and no one said you hated the band. Don't like the decision? Then don't buy the album - clearly, you can hear ALL of it on the commercials, right? Right? Oops! Just 30 second clips. Guess they sold out to Amazon, too...

You are upset because the band you love sold 5 songs to a car company. Some other people aren't. Try not to think that differences in opinion render others inane; doing so would make either you or Wilco inane, and then where would you be? Ha.

edited to add: The thread title might also suggest a dislike (hate, if you dare go so far) for the band. Perhaps your lack of clarity is egging the naysayers on...? Last I checked, 'sucking up' wasn't a way to describe one with which someone might be smitten. Just sayin'.

But for me, if history serves, they won't. In fact, I can't think of a single song or artist whose context changed merely because I once heard a snippet in an ad. The ad eventually faded away and was forgotten, while the song lives on in the state that I prefer to hear it--as art.

I realize that you are trying to ascribe larger significance to Wilco's decision--trying to place it into a wider cultural context--and I'm sympathetic to that effort. I completely agree that those kinds of conversations need to take place, and I largely share your contempt for the overcommercialization of our culture. In this case, though, your generalizations seem rooted in kneejerk fears that I do not share. As I said earlier, I'm unconvinced that every time a band licenses a song that it automatically constitutes "selling out"; in fact, I pretty much feel that's usually an artificial distinction that overlooks the long history of art commingling with commerce ever since, I dunno, the invention of art.

But I do believe there is such a thing as selling out. Where do we draw the line? For me, I have no problem with bands treating their music as both art and product; I believe those functions can peacefully co-exist. As long as the music was made with the purest of intentions--a true reflection of the band's artistic ambitions--then what happens next is largely irrelevant to me. For me, "selling out" happens only when a band ignores their true artistic impulses in order to produce something they don't actually believe in for the sole purpose of making money. That's where I draw the line; you obviously choose to draw it somewhere else.

Do you not find it somewhat odd that a song slated to find a home on SBS

Hey jnick,I guess not knowing that this thread would blow up is not your fault,but threads like this do,and that I hope you can understand that.It's just kind of trollish to start such a thread before even posting or looking at what might upset this community.Not saying you are not a part of it,but not knowing you at all makes really easy to give you hell.You are to have your own opinions,thats great,and I hope you can look past a few adds.There are many things around Wilco that I dislike and I have to deal with them,Why?,cause I love the music like you have.

Anyone who knows Wilco well knows that:

A.) They care about their music and view it as art.

B.) They don't make as much money as people think.

This is why you aren't going to have too many Wilco fans worried about this. Most fans will be able to put this in context and realize all the other great things the band has done to show they love music. Some fans will take it out of context, call the band sell-outs, and cry about the end of the world.

Hey jnick,I guess not knowing that this thread would blow up is not your fault,but threads like this do,and that I hope you can understand that.It's just kind of trollish to start such a thread before even posting or looking at what might upset this community.Not saying you are not a part of it,put not knowing you at all makes really easy to give you hell.You are to have your own opinions,thats great,and I hope you can look past a few adds.There are many things around Wilco that I dislike and I have to deal with them,Why?,cause I love the music like you have.

I certainly agree that, at times, I allow my love for music and art to cloud my judgment. I came of age at a time and within a scene where it was us against them

Oh, Jesus Ass-Fucking Christ on a Skateboard, is this bullshit still carrying on? I can't leave you kids for two minutes, swear to cod.

jnickerson (et al), you need to get down off your fucking high horse. This "I am the arbiter of all that is right and true in the world of Art" just makes you look like the biggest knob on the planet. The world hasn't changed because a Wilco song is being played in a commercial. No one's being hurt by it. Their music doesn't suddenly suck because of it. And, contrary to what you obviously think, their ability to carry on as artists has not been compromised.

At the end of the day, artists gotta eat. Right? You do realize that, don't you? Sure you do, because you're a "gifted artist" (your words) who hasn't sold his soul to the commercial mainstream. Well, goody goody two-shoes for you. I'm sure your lofty principles help you sleep better at night. But don't imagine for a minute that they entitle you to sit in judgment over others, especially a group of guys who sweat to put out great music and play great shows for the likes of you.

I just get so disgusted when people like you decide to take up the mantle of True Art. Who elected you? Who appointed you? More importantly, why the fuck should we care what you think? Art is what it is. Sometimes it's private, sometimes it's public, sometimes it's transcendent, sometimes it's utilitarian, sometimes it's commercial. Why do you get to draw the lines that decide what it is and what it isn't? ...how it can be used, and how it can't? ...who should profit from it, and how much?

The act of selling a painting is an act of commerce. If you sell it to a museum or corporation for a large sum of money, isn't that "selling out," by your definition? If not, why is it different from selling a 30-second snippet to Volkswagen?

I seriously think you need to take a look around and reconsider your worldview, if this kind of thing gets you this upset. Take a step back. Ask yourself if it really bothers you, or if you just let it bother you because it seems somehow cooler or more artistically principled to do so.

That's all I got. I didn't even bother to read the last couple of pages of this shite, so hopefully I haven't rehashed any previous posts.

I choose to acknowledge that I don't know what Tweedy's thought process was and choose to assume that, as always, he put out the exact record that reflected his true artistic ambitions. To me, it appears more likely that the band pulled the song from SBS because it didn't fit the album, or perhaps because they wanted to save it as a freebie thank-you for those of us who supported the band--which is pretty much the opposite of selling out. Point is, it seems a stretch to automatically assume that a devious masterplan was in the works from the get-go. There are a multitude of alternative explanations.

The songs were already finished. Licensing them neither serves nor damages the songs.

How, exactly, were the songs compromised during their creation? There might be a slight shift in marketing tactics, but that's all.

Quick question

Quick question - "Heard it Through the Grapevine" - now, why is it that I think of raisins in relation to that song?

Raisins are dried grapes. They are produced in many regions of the world, such as the United States, Australia, Chile, Argentina, Mexico, Greece, Turkey, Iran, Togo, Jamaica, and South Africa. Raisins may be eaten raw or used in cooking and baking.
But how, exactly, has Wilco betrayed their principles? If their principles include a belief in the power of art, they have released a record that reflects their artistic ambitions. If their principles include a belief that their art should be shared with as many listeners as possible, they have utilized manifold marketing tactics that will help make that happen. I don't think those two beliefs are mutually exclusive.

Now, if their principles also include contempt for capitalism, then you might have a point.

Wilco has always shyed away from making political statements, including economic ones.

So I see nothing sell out about this.

Even if it was a sell out...it wouldn't be like he's selling his soul.

It's just one sentiment that he's sold to a car company.

a b-side...an outtake.