crowther prunes and custard pedal?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so im really interested in this pedal. i know that jeff uses it. anybody know which songs he uses it for. or your own soundclips or descriptions? thanks in advance to those who reply.

I dont have any clips (yet), but Jeff uses it on Spiders, the solo to Hell is Chrome, and I'm pretty sure on At Least That's What You Said. It's an interesting pedal - combination of regular overdrive and strange harmonic intermodulation - the latter sounds sort of synthy. When you play two string at the same time, you get some pretty bizzarre interactions between the two notes.

I dont have any clips (yet), but Jeff uses it on Spiders, the solo to Hell is Chrome, and I'm pretty sure on At Least That's What You Said. It's an interesting pedal - combination of regular overdrive and strange harmonic intermodulation - the latter sounds sort of synthy. When you play two string at the same time, you get some pretty bizzarre interactions between the two notes.

hmm... sounds similar to the zvex machine. i love the sound he gets from it. do you own one?

hmm... sounds similar to the zvex machine. i love the sound he gets from it. do you own one?

I dont think it's too similar to the Machine - for instance running the Prunes and Custard into a fuzz would definitely not make the fuzz cut through any better, it probably would be totally lost inthe mix. It is very cool at what it does though.

I do own one - I might be able to post a clip of my interpretation of the Hell is Chrome solo using the Prunes and Custard and a compressor. (Unfortunately I dont have any recording equipment at home)

Here is song from my band where I use the prunes and custard. I don't have the mix knob all the way over to the right. It gives a little bit of a phased sound. The Prunes and custard is on the lead breaks at around 1:20 and 2:05

falling fast

here's another song with the prunes and custard. Starts around 3:30

minnesota song

Depending how you set the drive and mix controls you can get some different sounds. The drive control has a lot of gain and starts to get into the low end fuzz range of sounds (if that makes stomp box sense - not quite fuzz face territory) If the drive and mix are set all the way to the right (which I usually do when playing, but not on the recorded songs - the mix control was set back just a bit) that's when you get the weird modulation effect. Especially when you sustain a note or play a chord or two notes. I'm not sure how to describe it, but it gets this decaying deconstructing noise thing. Which is pretty cool. The only problem I have is trying not to overuse the pedal.

so basically the pedal is probably best used for rock/indie/jam music?

i like country and folk and rock and blues, im just wondering if it would fit in there because the pedal sounds great and im all for my guitar sounding better

I would say it's better for a more alternative/noise type rock than rootsy folk/blues music.

Another band which has used this pedal is the Datsuns - check out their song "Harmonic Generator"

Here is song from my band where I use the prunes and custard. I don't have the mix knob all the way over to the right. It gives a little bit of a phased sound. The Prunes and custard is on the lead breaks at around 1:20 and 2:05

falling fast

here's another song with the prunes and custard. Starts around 3:30

minnesota song

Man, I'm really liking those songs.

alright this is off topic, but hey, i started it. anybody have a fulldrive 2? i've been considering one for a long while.

i have both a prunes and custard and a fulldrive 2 and love both. on the P&C it has some crazy sounds (although my pedal is very trebley. maybe i need to re-set my EQ on my amp or something.). my fulldrive has an aaawesome clean boost (and the "boost" section coupled with the clean boost is even more nice!) and the FM section is groovy for straight overdrive. im not a fan of the vintage section too much, but it's cool i guess. i have the sexy vintage cream one, by the way. :yes

• 2 weeks later...
so i finally got mine. i love the thing to death. anyone care to share their favorite settings?

29.jpg

That's the Tweedy setting (though level will be variable depending on your own setup)

I like having the mix at least at 3 o'clock. Most times I have it all the way to the right - like 5 o'clock position. I play with the drive a little bit - at least at 3 o'clock. I was playing with my band last night and on one song was running my jazzmaster through a vox valvetone, a menatone top boost in a can, and the prunes and custard - all on at once. Man, that was sick!