Wilco (The Album Discussion w/ spoilers)

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Hollinger.

Just finished the first listen. First impression: 100x what I was expecting. Sounds nothing like the live early versions. Much more layered than SBS. Feels more complete. I am in love.

yeah, i just finished my first listen as well... very great record and not really at all what I expected.

can't say that any singular song blew me away, but i had a positive reaction to every song, which is much more than I can say about the first listen to the last 2 records :)

You Never Know's refrain kind of grates after the 35th repeat... if i had one minor complaint so far.

this record is def much more in line w/ YHF than compared to the last 2. save for Bull Black Nova, which musically is pretty badass, but as a song it's gonna take some listens to fully sink in, but it sounds way more natural and not forced like Spiders did.

Sunny Feeling is the best Wilco pop song since Summerteeth, no question.

This is far more adventurous than SBS, I don't hear the country flourishes Rolling Stone talked about at all. Bull Black Nova is worthy of the praise.

This is far more adventurous than SBS, I don't hear the country flourishes Rolling Stone talked about at all. Bull Black Nova is worthy of the praise.

Halfway in, loved Deeper Down and Bull Black Nova, the slower songs haven't quite hit me, but it's pretty good so far.

--Mike

Really happy. Can't stop smiling. I was very apprehensive about this.

This sounds like what they may have been attempting with SBS but couldn't quite get.

They sound very confident and relaxed. Like they have jelled as a band in the studio - something I didn't hear in SBS.

a far as the pre-requisite goofy rocker from the last 3 records (Wheel, Kicking TV (realize it was a b-side, but still), & Hate It Here), Wilco (The Song) trumps them all.

that song matured very nicely from the Colbert version

Just finished You and I. So far, Bull Black Nova and Deeper Down kill. One Wing is great too.. not wild about the vocal harmonies on the end instead of the duel guitar jam, but it's still great. I love how You and I is like one of those lame late 70's love duets.. except awesome

"My Country Has Disappeared" is really good.

I don't think this is disappointing so far. Not at all.

Was telling Solace I couldn't hear the Harrison vibe on "You Never Know", and as I said it, the slide guitar popped up and I smiled a big smile.

Definitely!

is there some sort of bells going on in the background on that track? i swear i can hear something resembling them around 1:58

might just be the keyboards

a far as the pre-requisite goofy rocker from the last 3 records (Wheel, Kicking TV (realize it was a b-side, but still), & Hate It Here), Wilco (The Song) trumps them all.

that song matured very nicely from the Colbert version

I think it helps that they lead off with it. Still probably my least favorite song on the album, but it's not a skip-over like HMD or those other songs you mentioned.

Guest Hollinger.
I think it helps that they lead off with it. Still probably my least favorite song on the album, but it's not a skip-over like HMD or those other songs you mentioned.

Skip over? Most of those are my favorite parts of the album :)

i dig it more than a couple songs upon first listen, but def not a fave obviously.

you're right tho, lead off was totally the right place for it

Very strong record. After the first listen, I've got really good vibes off almost every song, and some of them are already amazing and I want to see them live. You Never Know is definitely Harrisonesque, but man, Sonny Feeling is so fun. But so is Wilco the Song... And Bull Black Nova is A++. Also dig You and I and One Wing. I will have to listen to some of the slower tunes more, but Wilco is back!

Really happy. Can't stop smiling. I was very apprehensive about this.

This sounds like what they may have been attempting with SBS but couldn't quite get.

They sound very confident and relaxed. Like they have jelled as a band in the studio - something I didn't hear in SBS.

What he said. :thumbup

is there some sort of bells going on in the background on that track? i swear i can hear something resembling them.

might just be the keyboards

I've only listened to it once, but I couldn't put my finger on what I was hearing back there either.