New Album News - II

http://pitchfork.com/news/35205-awesome-th...lco-the-albumi/

Mod Edit: [i hope this poster doesn't mind starting the next (final?) geek-out thread while we count down the days to the new album being released.]

From Wilcoworld today:

The forthcoming Wilco album has been christened and we'll be welcoming "Wilco (the album)" to the world on June 30. Here's the track listing:

Wilco The Song

Deeper Down

One Wing

Bull Black Nova

You And I

You Never Know

Country Disappeared

Solitaire

I'll Fight

Sunny Feeling

Everlasting

!!! :)

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One can't be a true Wilco fan and say that SBS sucks, or AM sucks, etc. They may not be your favorite of their albums but I know you don't think they suck, or else you wouldn't be hanging out at Via Chicago. :)

i have not listened to sbs since the first week it came out and i can't remember when i listened to am last.

sbs

Interesting. Ok, I'm proven wrong then... I guess you can still be a true Wilco fan and think one of their albums suck.

My definition of a true wilco fan - Someone that posts daily on their fan message board.

So, do you think they will be playing the new stuff in the summer tour? I'm going to be at the Cincinnati show on June 12, and I'm hoping they're playing the new stuff by then.

You know, this is what I wonder too. I sure hope so. I have tix for that show as well, and I just saw them twice with no new songs ... and I'm very much hoping that by the time of the Cinci show, Wilco will have streamed the new album on Wilcoworld so that everyone DOES have a chance to hear them, and will consider this the beginning of touring in support of the new CD.

Yes. I definitely hope so, too! :lol

Maybe I'm on my own here but the thing that makes Wilco a special band for me is how each album fells like such a huge change/progression from the last, and also how cohesive it sounds within itself. Wilco is very much a band that creates albums, something which it seems is becoming rarer and rarer, rather than the standard "stick the singles at the start and the crap at the end" method that many other bands prefer. Each album stands apart and really only makes sense in it's own context. There's no way I could listen to them on random, tried it once and found it very jarring. Judging from what I've seen on the new DVD Wilco are currently a band very at ease with each other who are really enjoying what they're doing, so I'm pretty confident that this will translate to the new album.

i have not listened to sbs since the first week it came out and i can't remember when i listened to am last.

Well I am sorry twice for you, because I think you are missing out. This is all opinion of course, but I kind of agree with the sentiment that to say either of those records sucks would be a pretty strong statement and I would imagine your record collection to be very small becuse that kind of feeling would disqualify about 80% of all records made. I personally have listened to SBS more than any other Wilco record since it was released and I will never have anything but fond love for AM.

This is all opinion of course, but I kind of agree with the sentiment that to say either of those records sucks would be a pretty strong statement and I would imagine your record collection to be very small becuse that kind of feeling would disqualify about 80% of all records made.

Explain.

Guest Speed Racer
But really, does anyone here honestly think a single Wilco records SUCKS?

No, but I will take this opportunity to say that I honestly think 'Student Loan Stereo' has greater emotional insight and authenticity than 'Leave Me Like You Found Me.' The song is a contrived, emotionless piece of garbage and while I don't skip it when I'm listening to the whole album it is NOT on my Wilco playlist. I 100% truly, honestly, would rather have Jay Bennett sit in my lap and sing 'My Darling' to me (being a fan of neither him nor the song) than have to listen to that song when it is not sandwiched between the tracks that follow and precede it on the album.

Oh my GOD it felt good to get that off my chest. :wub

Interesting. Ok, I'm proven wrong then... I guess you can still be a true Wilco fan and think one of their albums sucks.

My definition of a true wilco fan - Someone that posts daily on their fan message board.

i wasn't trying to prove you wrong. i don't consider myself a "true" fan these days. most of the time, me hanging out here has little to nothing to do with wilco. these may even have been my first posts ever in the JAF section. (with the exception of an annual post in the ranking thread)

Maybe I'm on my own here but the thing that makes Wilco a special band for me is how each album fells like such a huge change/progression from the last, and also how cohesive it sounds within itself. Wilco is very much a band that creates albums, something which it seems is becoming rarer and rarer, rather than the standard "stick the singles at the start and the crap at the end" method that many other bands prefer. Each album stands apart and really only makes sense in it's own context. There's no way I could listen to them on random, tried it once and found it very jarring. Judging from what I've seen on the new DVD Wilco are currently a band very at ease with each other who are really enjoying what they're doing, so I'm pretty confident that this will translate to the new album.

I agree with you in terms of what you are saying. I love Wilco and I also love Ryan Adams, but you are right, I can make a Ryan Adams mix and most of it all fits. Wilco is truly an album band with each being a different feel and different vibe.

Just for the record I never said I didn't like SBS. I just think Wilco made engaging albums before extended Nels solos came along. You don't need to be a guitar god to create an interesting solo. Sometimes proficiency=sterility.

That's why I'm not a Satriani fan.

Chunks of "Being There" I don't really like.

Well I am sorry twice for you, because I think you are missing out. This is all opinion of course, but I kind of agree with the sentiment that to say either of those records sucks would be a pretty strong statement and I would imagine your record collection to be very small becuse that kind of feeling would disqualify about 80% of all records made. I personally have listened to SBS more than any other Wilco record since it was released and I will never have anything but fond love for AM.

yeah. you know me real well. i do have a small record collection. your post definitely makes alot of sense because somehow, not listening to sbs or am equates to not having any musical preferences or opinions of my own.

I would place any Wilco record in the top 20% of all albums ever made and so if you think a few Wilco records suck, then I believe you think ALOT of music must really suck

using this equation, can you tell me how many blocks of ice it takes to make an igloo 7 feet long by 5 ft wide, 4 rows high.