Neutral Milk Hotel

Neutral Milk Hotel  

115 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think?

• I love them
    • I hate them
    • I am somewhere in-between
    • I've never heard them

Seems like most folks feel very strongly about NMH one way or another -- they love 'em or hate them. Very few fall in the middle (but I do know a few who do).

So, in the interest of finding out which way this board swings, let's take a vote, for the purely quantitative numbers.

Me:

No band makes me feel the way they do. In the Aeroplane... is one of the most-perfect albums ever and is, for me, as close to a wholly spiritual experience that listening to music can be.

I've never heard them, but the cover of one of their songs on the recent Merge compilation is horrific, as is almost every other performance on there.

That puts me somewhere in between. This is one of those bands that I would like to believe is going to kick my ass in a glorious way when I finally do hear them, but I'm skeptical. I've been burned too many times (most recently with Built to Spill).

I like them, but wish some of the other E6 bands would be able to remove themselves from the Jeff Mangum shadow. For instance, during that Holiday Surprise Tour they did recently, once it became apparent that Mangum might be there, loads of people came out of the woodwork. And then they twiddle their thumbs through some really great sets by really great bands until their Lord and Savior makes his two minute appearance.

And that is not to say any of those bands have made a record even half as compelling as Aeroplane, which is a treat and one of my top three records of all time.

I like them, but wish some of the other E6 bands would be able to remove themselves from the Jeff Mangum shadow. For instance, during that Holiday Surprise Tour they did recently, once it became apparent that Mangum might be there, loads of people came out of the woodwork. And then they twiddle their thumbs through some really great sets by really great bands until their Lord and Savior makes his two minute appearance.

And that is not to say any of those bands have made a record even half as compelling as Aeroplane, which is a treat and one of my top three records of all time.

I am also a fan of The Apples In Stereo, The Minders, and a few other E6 bands as well. But yeah, that album will overshadow everything else that every other E6 band ever did, no doubt about it. And for good reason. (Although On Avery Island stands up pretty well, too.)

since it's a poll and you asked!

i hate them. i honestly don't see the appeal about them. and the fact he's made out to be some saviour/genius pisses me off more. i tried listening to the album once & couldn't get through it.

whew. i feel better!

I've never heard them, but the cover of one of their songs on the recent Merge compilation is horrific, as is almost every other performance on there.

That puts me somewhere in between. This is one of those bands that I would like to believe is going to kick my ass in a glorious way when I finally do hear them, but I'm skeptical. I've been burned too many times (most recently with Built to Spill).

They sound nothing like that cover. The cover is a total synthed out pop-fest whereas NMH is more in the punk influenced folk category. If you cared enough to get the Merge compilation, you should at the very least get In the Aeroplane Over the Sea and give it a try. It's one of my all-time favorite records

They sound nothing like that cover. The cover is a total synthed out pop-fest whereas NMH is more in the punk influenced folk category. If you cared enough to get the Merge compilation, you should at the very least get In the Aeroplane Over the Sea and give it a try. It's one of my all-time favorite records

Well, my wife ordered it.

I do intend to check out Aeroplane at some point. I'll bet my library system has it in their collection.

I am also a fan of The Apples In Stereo, The Minders, and a few other E6 bands as well. But yeah, that album will overshadow everything else that every other E6 band ever did, no doubt about it. And for good reason. (Although On Avery Island stands up pretty well, too.)

I've been spending a lot of time listen to the E6 lately and could agree more. I don't see another band putting out an album that will stick with you as much as Aeroplane does. And that's not a bad thing. I feel like the E6 has lots of music to offer that isn't the NMH, however, none of it is as compelling in my opinion.

I've been spending a lot of time listen to the E6 lately and could agree more. I don't see another band putting out an album that will stick with you as much as Aeroplane does. And that's not a bad thing. I feel like the E6 has lots of music to offer that isn't the NMH, however, none of it is as compelling in my opinion.

I agree. The only thing that comes remotely close, in my opinion, are the Olivia Tremor Control records. And they are maybe halfway as compelling.

Hate, hate, hate them. I at least like most indie bands, but this Mangum guy is a godawful writer. It's just themeless binderscrawl for the most part, and his voice is like nails on the world's longest chalkboard. This is why Aeroplane always tops my "most overrated album of all time" lists, in spite of its relative obscurity.

since it's a poll and you asked!

i hate them. i honestly don't see the appeal about them. and the fact he's made out to be some saviour/genius pisses me off more. i tried listening to the album once & couldn't get through it.

whew. i feel better!

Bingo. I think the disproportionate acclaim makes me consider the album an even more minor and irritating work, if anything.

Stranger things have happened than you and I agreeing! ;)

Hate, hate, hate them. I at least like most indie bands, but this Mangum guy is a godawful writer. It's just themeless binderscrawl for the most part, and his voice is like nails on the world's longest chalkboard. This is why Aeroplane always tops my "most overrated album of all time" lists, in spite of its relative obscurity.

ooooh., i'd love to see your famous "most overrated album of all time" list!

Love 'em. Aeroplanes is one of my favorites as well. Although it sounds nothing like Dylan... it has that indescribable (at least for me) quality where even though the singing isn't great, and the music is mediocre, it still grabs you where it counts.

I said I love them, but that is based solely on In the Aeroplane. I could never get into On Avery Island.

I like them both equally. Three Peaches kills me.