Jeff Tweedy -- 1/29/09

The State Theatre wasn't sold out, but the people that did make this show on a snowy evening were pretty boisterous. There was a lot of yelling out from the crowd, both in the form of requests and comments. Not sure whether that made for a better or worse show or if it affected Jeff much at all. He seemed in good spirits, for the most part, and bantered with the crowd throughout the show. Seemed like a slightly short set to me, but who knows whether there was a curfew or whatever.

It was definitely great to hear three new songs, two of which I don't believe have been played live previously. Wilco played "I Will, I Will" [my title] at one of the Bridge School benefit shows back in October. Jeff said those are the songs he knows right now.

In the first encore, Jeff had his 12-string in hand and was clearly going to play Heavy Metal Drummer. But after an exchange with the audience, he opted out of it -- said he didn't feel like playing it anymore -- and decided to play an acoustic version of Kingpin instead, which was kind of funny.

Anyway, setlist as follows:

One By One

Spiders (Kidsmoke)

Bob Dylan's 49th Beard

Jesus, etc.

new song-Everlasting Everything

new song-Solitaire

Summerteeth

The Ruling Class

Hummingbird

new song-I Will, I Will

Passenger Side

Impossible Germany

IATTBYH

A Shot in the Arm

------------------------------

Fake Plastic Trees [Radiohead]

Wilco The Song

Kingpin

I'm The Man Who Loves You

------------------------------

The Thanks I Get

Acuff-Rose (played at edge of stage w/o PA)

I'm so glad to see Fake Plastic Trees on there (I totally requested it for the Saturday show!). But that does look a little short.

If my wilcobasing is accurate, this is the first time outside of Lounge Ax that he's played Kingpin solo. Very nice. And is it the second time Impossible Germany has been done solo? Also very nice.

Get pumped people....these shows could be better than we'd hoped!

How did the two new songs sound? Can you remember any lyrics from them?

Obviously judging from just one listen, they're both kind of quieter, more pensive numbers -- more suited to an acoustic performance, it seemed like. Jeff even jokingly said something like, "Don't worry, they won't be on the record."

I jotted down this opening (?) line from Everlasting Everything: "Everything alive must die/Everlasting love is alive." And from Solitaire, "I doubt I had it all figured out," as well as something about "It took too long to believe I was only" [something inaudible]. There was also something about "all I played was solitaire," hence the title. Those were the titles that Jeff gave, by the way, when someone asked what the new songs were called.

Definitely a short set list. When Jeff walked off before the first encore, I looked at my wife and we both said "Intermission?"

The "I Will" song was amazing. The other two news songs were in the vein of "Patient With Me" off SBS.

And the crowd was very . . . boisterous. Jeff certainly changed his mind about the songs he was going to play several times throughout the night in favor of fan requests. I found myself wondering if that had any impact on the length of the show.

Definitely a short set list. When Jeff walked off before the first encore, I looked at my wife and we both said "Intermission?"

The "I Will" song was amazing. The other two news songs were in the vein of "Patient With Me" off SBS.

And the crowd was very . . . boisterous. Jeff certainly changed his mind about the songs he was going to play several times throughout the night in favor of fan requests. I found myself wondering if that had any impact on the length of the show.

I don't think it had much to do with the length of the show but he did joke about starting a riot and just walking off. I thought the Iwill I will song reminded me a bit of In a Future Age. I found it to be a very fun show.

Other the threee new songs, my early pick would be everlasting everything but again it's only after one hearing.

If you're into them, the poster for this show was very cool.

Just a few random thoughts,

Kyle

How did the two new songs sound? Can you remember any lyrics from them?

I think you can sample the I Will song here. (it's not from last nite's show)

Jeff also made a comment about some of his guitars "coming home." I assume he was talking about Gibson, though I'm not 100 percent sure.

If he was, I had no idea that Gibson was originally based in Kalamazoo and that, at least according to Wikipedia, the production of Gibson guitars didn't move from Kalamazoo to Tennessee until sometime between 1974 and 1984. The history in that Wiki entry is pretty interesting. Anybody have more insight?

There were some pretty sweet guitars up there on stage with him as well.

Yes, Gibson moved out of town in the mid 70's. Heritage guitars is located in the old Gibson factory now and makes some great guitars. A few of the old luthiers are still around working there from the old Gibson days.

I enjoyed the show, the acoustics are great there. I was really pleased with the song selection.

tweedy1.jpg

I am so pumped for tonight at Hill in Ann Arbor. I am a long time Folk Fester. (Last year's Ben Folds closer was Bitches Ain't Shit, which really blew the roof off the place. Some of the old timers were outraged, but what is folk music for but outrage.) The line-up always makes for a wonderful show and usually introduces us to new artists we grow to love: Richard Shindell, Vienna Teng, and Martyn Joseph (I even got a kiss from him along with an autograph).

Tonight that joy is combined that with my favorite musician in the world, utter bliss, and my first time seeing him solo. We'll be third row center, best seats we've ever had in 30 years of concert going. I hope the crowd is not too crazy tonight though because the acoustics of Hill can make that pretty annoying. A sneeze in the upper balcony sounds like it is right behind you. Though I always count on Jeff to give them hell.

Real good show! Did seem short though.

Took my son and a couple of his friends and unexpectedly sat next to and around friends I hadn't seen since the Riv run last winter. Lots of fun.

Jeff sang with a noticeable passion, especially on Shot In The Arm.

The new songs were good to hear. Solitaire sounded very Loose Fur-like. (New Loose Fur album perhaps? Please!)

The shouting requests over Jeff's banter got incredibly obnoxious. At one point Jeff commented, "you don't get out much, do you?"

The sans PA Acuff-Rose was sweet. (Fortunately, directly in front of us).

Fake Plastic Trees was a real treat.

See you all in Ann Arbor.

I am really disappointed in having to miss the show last night as I expected some new songs would have been played. Hopefully someone taped it and it will be out on the interwebs soon.

eta: Heritage Wikipedia page

I saw two tapers there last night. Both on the main floor. I spoke to one who said to look for it on etree if it turns out.

I thought it was an excellent show and I thought Great Lakes Swimmers sounded great as well. The State Theatre in K-zoo is a great venue for shows like this.

Overall I thought the show was pretty great last night, Jeff sounded like he was in good spirits and I think that showed in his interactions with the audience. Although I must admit the crowd banter became relatively annoying at certain points. The ending was pretty fantastic though, I took a bit of video of

with
last night. As well as a few pictures..toss them up after class.

So happy to hear the wilco song as well!

We had great seats. unfortunately, they were right in front of the guy yelling for passenger side (and then kingpin). I thought the new songs were pretty somber and one was almost creepy in an obsessive lover sort of way. After those two new numbers Jeff seemed to lighten up and embrace the noisy crowd. Really, WE don't get out much. Jeff's guitar playing was great. i was hoping for mountain bed or future age, but i'll take acuff-rose right in front of me as consolation. Especially that sweet bit o pickin at the end.