7 Worlds Collide in Auckland

I found this thread on the Frenz forum - I'd love for any VCers to supply more details!

http://frenzforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7...1655#2911001655

Am I reading that correctly? Jeff did "Fake Plastic Trees?" Holy shit.

Also, I've wanted to hear Neil do "Throw Your Arms Around Me" since I first heard a random solo version from 1998. Sounds like it was a great night.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice linkage, B! I forgot that the show happened while we were asleep (is that right?). God bless the person who kept track of all that shuffling of personnel, lead singers and so forth.

Also I wonder if anyone will be able to shed more light on the comment about those "two last unplanned Wilco songs at Neils insistence... Not up on my Wilco so others will have to fill in the blanks."

The two unscheduled Wilco encores were:

Outtasight (Outta mind)

Hoodoo Voodoo (pretty loose with Pat coordinating guitar solos between himself, Neil, and Johnny Marr while Liam interjected some crazy-arse Theremin). Tremendous fun.

I just got back home after the day-long drive from Auckland to Wellington. What a great show (I went to the first one). Seeing Tweedy twice within 12 months is a rare treat for us down in this corner of the globe.

"Fake Plastic Trees" was a highlight for me - Jeff and John with the Radiohead boys, Johnny Marr and Liam Finn was pretty special. Jeff also led the vocal on the cover of Thunderclap Newman's "Something in the air" which was top-shelf sing-a-long joy.

I personally thought that Wilco stole the show, but I'm bias. What was refreshing about the night was that it seemed, on the surface at least, to be pretty devoid of ego. Neil seemed to be happy sitting in the background playing piano and Hammond a lot of the time. It was a great evening of music for all the right reasons.

Pat was one of the hardest-working players, featuring in a lot of the "bands", even playing bass on a few songs early on.

If I lived in Auckland I would have been tempted to go again tonight.

Photos up soon.

Hey guys, so I'm new here - been a follower for a while but just thought people might want to see some photos of the show. I was pretty much just going for Wilco but the whole show was great. Bic Runga did a new song with John, Pat, Glenn (and someone else, maybe Don McGlashan, I can't remember, on guitar,) and I thought that was amazing. My brother commented on the fact that it sounded like she wrote it with them in mind. And of course I loved all the Wilco songs. I think Hoodoo Voodoo was my favourite, but I loved Jesus Etc as well, with Lisa Germano on violin. I'd be interested to hear what some of the Split Enz and other fans thought, because there seemed to be heaps of Wilco songs - more than anyone else's. I'd love to go again tomorrow, but alas all the tickets are sold out. I'm personally hoping that maybe if they're still around, Wilco might make a surprise appearance with Fleet Foxes on Thursday. Anyway, if you go to my band's blog you can see a little video and some photos. I didn't tag the video because I don't know if it's actually allowed to be up - there was some sign up about recording but I didn't read any of it, and the security guys were checking bags, so I don't know if you were meant to record. Heaps of people were recording/taking photos though. Oh, and I think the song in the clip is going on the album.

http://wildwoodlights.tumblr.com/

I'd love to hear of tappers myself

I know they're taping it all for a DVD which I can't wait to get, but not sure how much of the night I went to they'll include. Either way, the album and DVD should be most excellent. I quite liked the new Wilco song they did last nite.

I'd love to hear of tappers myself

I know they're taping it all for a DVD which I can't wait to get, but not sure how much of the night I went to they'll include. Either way, the album and DVD should be most excellent. I quite liked the new Wilco song they did last nite.

There was a new wilco song played?

There was a new wilco song played?

Jeff has written a song for the 7 Worlds Collide project which should be on the studio album. It's called "You never know". It was played at the Monday show (and probably at the others too).

Jeff has written a song for the 7 Worlds Collide project which should be on the studio album. It's called "You never know". It was played at the Monday show (and probably at the others too).

Oh, okay, so it's for 7 Worlds Collide album, not the new wilco album.