News, news, news

Figure that most people on here get the Wilcoworld e-mails already, but in case you're not subscribed, this latest missive (which just landed in my inbox a few hours short of Christmas Eve) should answer a lot of questions about various projects, etc. Merry Christmas! :thumbup

from Wilco HQ:

Greetings friends,

As we hope you've noticed, we've been lying low on the emails, trying to avoid being part of the last-minute discount, order-now-before-the-holiday-crush deluge of spam that is presently blowing up your inbox.

That said, we do want to thank all of you out there for making this, yet again, a great year for Wilco. Thanks to you guys for supporting the band & the entire Wilco org. by continuing to turn up in droves at shows and frankly, for buying stuff. Your support makes everything possible.

We've got a lot to look forward to in to '09 -- many cool things on the horizon. First, we (w/ Nonesuch) will be releasing Wilco's first concert film/DVD, and despite the obvious negative connotations associated with that category, we think you'll really like this one. It's called "Ashes of American Flags" and was put together by our friends Brendan Canty and Christoph Green at Trixie Films (Sunken Treasure, Burn to Shine, etc.) Filming took place on the band's February '08 tour and includes material from Cain's Ballroom in Tulsa, The Ryman in Nashville, and more. "Ashes of American Flags" should hit store shelves and the internet in February/March '09. Look for clips and other information at Wilcoworld.net beginning in January.

Post-holidays, the band will head back to the loft to resume work on their next studio album which we suspect will see the light of day in Spring '09. Again more details, streams, photos etc. coming to the site soon. So hang in there.

Re: touring: Well, there's not much until Spring. Jeff Tweedy has a handful of solo shows in late January (Kalamazoo, MI; Champaign, IL; Ann Arbor, MI). Ticket information here. Nels Cline also has a run of shows in January, info here. And there'll undoubtedly be other solo-ish events popping up here and there. But Wilco have no shows planned between now and April as they'll be pretty much hunkered down in the studio. We are in the final phases of working out a handful of gigs in southern US (April) and an extensive tour of Spain (May) followed by, most likely, the usual summer hijinks with a new record and gigs everywhere imaginable.

So, without further adieu, happy sledding through the holidays and into the New Year. And remember, when it comes to gift giving, it truly is the thought that counts (spoken like a true last minute shopper....). On that note, we'd be remiss if we didn't add that there's a sale on in the Wilco store and we've extended it through January 15. So feel free to, you know, order something and put a note in the card, saying "coming soon....", or whatever.

thanks again for everything. Here's to you guys. Happy Holidays... with love.

the HQ staff.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I guess we now have the answer to the question posed in this thread:

http://forums.viachicago.org/index.php?showtopic=38048

Wow. I'm really glad they're using the Ryman show as one of the performances in the DVD. It was a great show, and I also have a selfish reason to be excited about it -- my wife and I were sitting very near the front and encountered the camera-people several times. Then again, I'm not sure I would want to see a shot of me with eyes closed and singing along. That's not a pretty picture. Anyway, I'm thrilled that Wilco will be sharing this show with all of those who couldn't be there that evening.

Nothing on the State Theater website about Jeff playing in Kalamazoo MI, but it is in the Kalamazoo Gazette. Very exciting. I was just thinking in the shower this morning that I hadn't seen any incarnation of Wilco in all of 2007 or 2008 after a nice run in from 2000-2006. Hope to get good presale seats!

The e-mail fails to mention the New Orleans Jazzfest show on 4/25. My suspicion is that the other southern shows will be in route to that show and/or after.

Texas needs some love and we were missed somewhat last time the band was in the region. I had to go all the way to Tulsa and see a show at the historic Cains Ballroom witch happens to be part of the soon to be released DVD. :dancing

How about another Ft.Worth gig guys?

Texas needs some love and we were missed somewhat last time the band was in the region. I had to go all the way to Tulsa and see a show at the historic Cains Ballroom witch happens to be part of the soon to be released DVD. :dancing

How about another Ft.Worth gig guys?

Ft. Worth would be awesome, unfortunately when the Autumn Defense played Dallas a couple of years ago I talked to John and he said they enjoyed the Ft. Worth show, but didn't think they would be playing there again. But I'll take the Palladium in Dallas if we have to.

Ft. Worth would be awesome, unfortunately when the Autumn Defense played Dallas a couple of years ago I talked to John and he said they enjoyed the Ft. Worth show, but didn't think they would be playing there again. But I'll take the Palladium in Dallas if we have to.

Not to be picky but f*ck that Palladium. It's a horrible sounding room. The Granada is all around a better venue for sound, sight and staff.

I kinda doubt Ft.Worth will never be on a tour stop again. Just doesn't seem like a Wilco thing to do for a place that sold out and had a great live audience response. He might have just meant they would not be back that tour.