In the aftermath of the great debate that went on with religion and atheism here: http://forums.viachicago.org/index.php?showtopic=36668, what do you all think about the upcoming Bill Maher movie entitled Religulous?

For those who don't know, here's a trailer

and here's an

Personally, I think it is good to expose some of the misconceptions and ignorance of different people regarding their religion, but I also think it is important to look at it not in the mindset of we do with Santa Claus or fairy tales, which it seems to be what he is doing

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for starting this thread. I was gonna do the same after I go to see it next week. It's gonna be good - but I'm an unabashed Maher fan so you can take that with a grain of salt.

I'm an enormous Maher fan but he is as militant in his atheism as the most fervent Christian is in theirs. I find it a bit annoying and condescending to those that are ardent believers in one religion or another. If I find it annoying for the religious, I find it equally as annoying for the atheist.

I like to laugh at rubes sometimes, so I guess I'll go see it.

I'm an enormous Maher fan but he is as militant in his atheism as the most fervent Christian is in theirs. I find it a bit annoying and condescending to those that are ardent believers in one religion or another. If I find it annoying for the religious, I find it equally as annoying for the atheist.

Agreed. Intolerance goes both ways, its not just a hardcore Christian thing. Hardcore atheists are just as ignorant and intolerant.

I'm going to see Bill Maher tomorrow night at Cornell. An article in the local paper previewing the show warned those going to "prepare to be offended" :lol

Barton Hall? Have a good time girl! :thumbup

Agreed. Intolerance goes both ways, its not just a hardcore Christian thing. Hardcore atheists are just as ignorant and intolerant.

The planet-sized distinction being, militant atheists (though I think the term itself is misleading, to put it mildly), don

I'm saying that automatically dismissing someone's beliefs is ignorant and intolerant, and atheists do it just as much as religious folks do. That's all I said. I did not use the word "militant." Especially in the case of someone like Bill Maher, who's show I've been watching recently, he will talk down the hyper-religious folks but will be just as intolerant himself. That's all I'm saying. And that kind of behavior will not change anyone's mind. There needs to be understanding and we need to see what is common between us as humans, not take hardcore stances against one another. That's what I'm saying.

It's bound to be more palatable than "Jesus Camp" though. crikey.

Ugh... I dislike atheists almost as much as hard core Christians.

I don't care if you believe in nothing, keep it to yourself.

:angry

The planet-sized distinction being, militant atheists (though I think the term itself is misleading, to put it mildly), don

I agree with what you're saying, but maybe with a bit of a twist.

The difference being that in a Christian-dominated society, the mindset is that the word "atheist" conjures up the same emotions towards someone as the words "pedophile" or "prostitute." This is all a product of the hardcore Christian mindest and it is sadly still very prevalent in today's society. Therefore, anyone who stands up as an atheist and speaks their minds comes across in the same manner as a homosexual couple getting married in the eyes of those religious.

In actuality, atheism is a belief system in the same vein as Catholicism, Judaism, Buddhism, Islam, Mormonism, Scientology, etc. It's what one chooses to believe and the only reason it has been skewered the way it has is by the Christian right that seeks to eradicate any non-believer. The major difference between atheism and the other religions listed above is that atheism is science-based, the rest are faith-based.

I don't have a problem with those believing in God even though I have chosen not to. I believe that people need that to get by in everyday life. Somehow, the thought that there's nothing at the end of all this seems to leave people hollow. And understandably so. I do not hate the personal guidance of religion, personal belief, etc. but what I do hate is organized religion and what it sparks in people. Organized religion teaches hate towards those of other belief systems while personal faith guides one in their everyday life.

If I thought this country and this world had the ability to "agree to disagree" I would speak out against this movie. But the way things stand you have religion shoved down your throat from every angle. Even the presidential candidates have to align themselves with a particular faith to win their voters over.

All that said, I'm going to see this movie ASAP. I enjoy Bill Maher's wit and I'm fairly certain my belief system is right in line with his.

Haven't there been a bunch of hospitals created in the name of religion? Are there atheist hospitals? Just asking.

Nevermind, I looked it up.

Is this serious? Give me a war fought in the name of atheism and then we'll talk.

Either way, I want to see this movie.

Organized religion teaches hate towards those of other belief systems while personal faith guides one in their everyday life.

If I thought this country and this world had the ability to "agree to disagree" I would speak out against this movie. But the way things stand you have religion shoved down your throat from every angle. Even the presidential candidates have to align themselves with a particular faith to win their voters over.

All that said, I'm going to see this movie ASAP. I enjoy Bill Maher's wit and I'm fairly certain my belief system is right in line with his.

I don't get this. I've never felt that anything was being shoved down my throat. Or maybe I did and just stopped listening. It's that simple to me. I'm a simpleton, I guess. I get curious when people get offended by being "forced" to hear shit. No one's making anybody listen/read/watch. Isn't ignoring the shit you don't agree with more comfortable for your life (not you, personally, but people in general). An annoying person at a party spews shit and I go hang with someone different. That easy.

I'm not so sure that a sweeping generalization as " organized religion" teaching hate works either. How so? There are boat loads of organized religions that don't get pissed off at other's faith. I think "organized religion" has sadly become a catch-phrase. It ain't all bad. Not my bag, but still.

Bill Maher makes a living off of riffing on society and finding faults/flaws in shit. Not a bad gig. He's a bright fellow but ultimately he offers no solution. Though I haven't seen the flick.

The world agreeing to disagree is preposterous, with all due respect my man. The disagreement is what separates us from cauliflower.

Just a quick comment on some of this discussion of religion being forced on people; within the first 6 weeks of my third year in high school, there has been more anti-Christian statements made than there have ever been to the contrary. These have be perpetrated by the teachers just as much as the students, and my claims to rationalize (not fight) their claims have been pretty much shot down by Christian stereotypes. It's pretty insulting to say the least

Just a quick comment on some of this discussion of religion being forced on people; within the first 6 weeks of my third year in high school, there has been more anti-Christian statements made than there have ever been to the contrary. These have be perpetrated by the teachers just as much as the students, and my claims to rationalize (not fight) their claims have been pretty much shot down by Christian stereotypes. It's pretty insulting to say the least

I'd like you to define anti-Christian and/or give some specific examples, especially from teachers. I am a social studies teacher, so we focus on religion a lot. 99% of the time, my students and parents are open and appreciative about studying comparative religions. There have been exceptions. My favorite was when a parent called my principal furious because I explained that most historians now estimate the birth of Jesus (I know, I know, if it happened at all) at about 6 B.C. How dare I question what the Bible says about when Jesus was born! Ummm... the Bible doesn't really say a year.

Would you consider a scientific approach to discussing the dawn of man is anti-Christian? I'm a Christian and I certainly do not, but many would.

Christians aren't the problem. Fundamentalist Christians are the problem, and they would not be a problem if they would only keep it to themselves.

I'd like you to define anti-Christian and/or give some specific examples, especially from teachers. I am a social studies teacher, so we focus on religion a lot. 99% of the time, my students and parents are open and appreciative about studying comparative religions. There have been exceptions. My favorite was when a parent called my principal furious because I explained that most historians now estimate the birth of Jesus (I know, I know, if it happened at all) at about 6 B.C. How dare I question what the Bible says about when Jesus was born! Ummm... the Bible doesn't really say a year.

Would you consider a scientific approach to discussing the dawn of man is anti-Christian? I'm a Christian and I certainly do not, but many would.

Sorry I wasn't clear, cause I can completely understand how "anti-Christian" can be taken completely out of context. One thing that bothered me was a teacher saying how ironic it was a that those who studied science during in college ended up as preachers/ministers. I raised my hand to ask why it was so ironic, and she seemed to fumble an answer of how faith and science are contradictory to each other. Another instance was an assignment made to assess the morality of certain people in given situations, and for each time a Christian was mentioned they were collectively described as anti-abortion, gun-slinging, and money hording. I understand the need for everyone to realize the consequences of a corrupt religion, but to push stereotypes and false judgements of the Christian faith just doesn't seem fair

That reminds me - someday, I need to scan that Grateful Dead themed Jews For Jesus pamphlet I have.

Yea..do it. These guys used to pass a new pamphet out a few times a week in downtown Chicago. Never failed to get a chuckle from their stuff...

LouieB

Yea..do it. These guys used to pass a new pamphet out a few times a week in downtown Chicago. Never failed to get a chuckle from their stuff...

LouieB

I think I sent a copy to someone here once - not sure. I've had it for years.

Edited by Analogman