Billboard says...

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/articl...t_id=1003840065

:pray

Wilco Eyeing Spring '09 For New Album

August 18, 2008 , 12:35 PM ET

Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

Wilco hopes to have its seventh studio album out by spring 2009, frontman Jeff Tweedy told Albany, N.Y., radio station WAMC recently.

After opting for a highly performance-oriented recording approach on 2007's "Sky Blue Sky," Tweedy says he expects Wilco will "allow ourselves a little bit more leeway in terms of sculpting the sound in the studio and doing overdubs and using the studio as another instrument. Last time around, it was more of a document."

At recent live shows, Wilco has played two new songs: "One Wing" recalls the melancholy, slowly building "Sky Blue Sky" closer "On and On and On," while "Sunny Feeling" has a sly main riff in keeping with loose jams from the last album such as "Walken."

Tweedy told WAMC he's going through a phase where he "kinda hate" all of Wilco's six prior albums, because "none of them are a statement that I would be comfortable making right now at this point in my life. They all served their purpose, and in that respect I'm proud of all of them.

"But as something that feels artistically in keeping with who I am today, I think that they are inevitably going to fall short of that as time goes on. I mean, they just don't continue to mean the same things to me, and a new record is kind of where it's at."

Prior to the release of "Sky Blue Sky," Tweedy told Billboard that a number of unfinished songs from those sessions would potentially form the basis for the next album, but it is unknown if they remain in consideration at this point.

Wilco wraps a summer North American tour this weekend at San Francisco's inaugural Outside Lands Festival. After a one-off Aug. 30 Wilco festival gig in Ireland, Tweedy plays four solo shows in Spain through Sept. 6 in Murcia.

Ooohhh ... it sounds like already that with this new album the band is going to great lengths to not meet the expectations of its fans. :P

I'm excited about this. This is exactly what I wanted: to see this lineup use the studio as an instrument. Can't wait!

Oops. Sorry...

Nothin' to apologize for, ;) ... that info was sorta buried in the radio station thread. So hope you don't mind I added the quote and moved the comments about the new album to this thread.

Yay for new album news!

Nothin' to apologize for, ;) ... that info was sorta buried in the radio station thread. So hope you don't mind I added the quote and moved the comments about the new album to this thread.

Yay for new album news!

Wendy, you're good at what you do.

Can't wait for more tracks to appear in the live shows.

I go back and forth with myself over listening to songs early vs waiting for the CD. I am old-school enough to enjoy and really miss the thrill of hearing a whole new album at once, all brand-new to my ears.

Yet I know today is different. Songs are road-tested, and pre-released for advertising reasons, etc., and then the album leaks early oftentimes with sub-par audio quality MP3s, and by the time I get the whole new album to my ears, it's just less fun. I'm sure the band is anxious to play new stuff, get audience response, etc. And I do love to hear new songs played live if I'm there for the show.

I may once again try to not listen to new songs from shows I don't attend. It worked well for SBS, but it was pretty hard resisting the temptation to listen early.

I'm glad to hear that Jeff is returning to working on a more studio-based album. I love the performance aspect of the band, but I can get that when I see them on tour. After the last couple of albums, I miss the dense studio creations of YHF and Summerteeth, and I'm really curious to hear what kind of contributions the new lineup can bring to the studio.

Hmmmm.............

Cant say I was too impressed with "One Wing" at lolla.

I think I'm going to try and wait till the record comes out to hear the material. Hopefully this isn't as dismal as "Sky Blue Sky" was.

Hmmmm.............

Cant say I was too impressed with "One Wing" at lolla.

I think I'm going to try and wait till the record comes out to hear the material. Hopefully this isn't as dismal as "Sky Blue Sky" was.

I feel like "dismal" is harsh...but underwhelming, true.

I like One Wing a lot. I'm actually gonna try my hardest to wait as well...

I feel like "dismal" is harsh...but underwhelming, true.

I like One Wing a lot. I'm actually gonna try my hardest to wait as well...

dismal is really harsh. Though it was the first word that came to mind.

I do like the album a lot more as time has passed.

Still not hopeful for Wilco material.

As for some Loose Fur.... :stunned

In general I'm a fan of road testing tunes, especially if they're more experimental in nature. Early versions can be very different from the finished product, and can provide lively discussion among fans as to what seems to work and what doesn't.

I saw both One Wing and Sunny Feeling in Indy and they seemed to be a little too close to SBS for my tastes, but that doesn't mean that the germ of the idea might not come to be a monster in the studio. No rush guys - take your time. We're a patient lot. :thumbup

It's funny that Tweedy claims he currently "hates" all of Wilco's previous albums, when the new songs sound exactly like outtakes from SBS.

Thats his self-deprecating charm that makes the girls swoon

I saw both One Wing and Sunny Feeling in Indy and they seemed to be a little too close to SBS for my tastes, but that doesn't mean that the germ of the idea might not come to be a monster in the studio. No rush guys - take your time. We're a patient lot. :thumbup

One Wing has a great musical framework that you can go a lot of different directions with. It all depends on how they choose to flesh it out in the studio. Sunny Feeling sounds like a SBS outtake. Perhaps it may become part of something else.

He doesnt mean hate as in "I hate that". As a writer, songs are a document of where you are at in your life at that time. He has moved on from all of that stuff, and when he hears stuff from "Being There" today, that guy doesnt exist anymore, so he can't listen to them. It kinda like watching a home video of yourself and saying "My hair looked stupid. I sound like an idiot. Im so glad Im not like that anymore."

He doesnt mean hate as in "I hate that". As a writer, songs are a document of where you are at in your life at that time. He has moved on from all of that stuff, and when he hears stuff from "Being There" today, that guy doesnt exist anymore, so he can't listen to them. It kinda like watching a home video of yourself and saying "My hair looked stupid. I sound like an idiot. Im so glad Im not like that anymore."

Does he "Hate It Here"? :brow

I have resisted seeking out "Sunny Feeling" but as for "One Wing" the lyrical content seemed to be the weak end of of things; this was also my biggest problem with Sky Blue Sky.

I also sometimes wonder how much "road testing" is actually going on. The Sky Blue Sky tunes haven't seemed to have changed much from their debut to their release (as for the songs with older origins I am referring to their re induction). Same goes for quite a few other bands that claim to be trying them out on the road.

It seems like more of a "testing of the waters" then a creative process thing. If a band doesn't jam in a live setting I don't really see what can be gotten out of "road testing" material compared to trying to out different orchestration in a studio.

• 5 weeks later...
Wilco Hitting The Studio Next Month

Wilco

Wilco Eyeing Spring '09 For New Album

September 18, 2008 , 5:05 PM ET

Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

Wilco will begin recording its next album in October, Billboard has learned. The follow-up to 2007's "Sky Blue Sky" is expected for a spring release via Nonesuch.

After opting for a highly performance-oriented recording approach on "Sky Blue Sky," frontman Jeff Tweedy said in a recent radio interview that he expects Wilco will "allow ourselves a little bit more leeway in terms of sculpting the sound in the studio and doing overdubs and using the studio as another instrument. Last time around, it was more of a document."

Wilco will take a break from the studio at the end of the year for nine dates supporting Neil Young, beginning Nov. 29 in Halifax, Nova Scotia, and wrapping Dec. 15 at New York's Madison Square Garden.

In related news, Wilco keyboardist Mikael Jorgensen will play Sept. 28 at Brooklyn's Union Poll with his side band, Pronto.

I always get excited when I hear any news of a new album. Although I fear being as disappointed as I was with SBS. This time I will seek out tracks beforehand to avoid blowing 20 bucks on album that, frankly, sucks.

It's funny that Tweedy claims he currently "hates" all of Wilco's previous albums, when the new songs sound exactly like outtakes from SBS.

He always says that though. What did he say during the SBS release era about previous albums, how if a song uses pedals or the studio it's 'not really a song'? I know other examples but they aren't coming to mind.

He's always ready to cut past ties and go into something new, which is a good thing in a musician.