6. Houses On The Hill

7. Turn Around

8. Dancing With The Women At The Bar

9. Waiting To Derail

10. Avenues

11. Losering

12. Somebody Remembers The Rose

13. Not Home Anymore

Disc One of the two-disc set will feature the original album plus five tracks recorded live on Los Angeles radio station KCRW on September 10, 1997. Three of those tracks are album cuts ("Houses On The Hill", "Turn Around", "Somebody Remembers The Rose") and two were not on the album ("Nurse With The Pills", "I Don't Care What You Think About Me").

The 20 tracks on disc two include outtakes and alternate tracks from the Strangers Almanac recording sessions and demo sessions. A few of them were issued separate from Strangers Almanac at the time: "Theme For A Trucker", "My Heart Is Broken", and alternate versions of "The Strip" (a.k.a. "Dancing With The Women At The Bar") and "Houses On The Hill" comprised a double 7-inch gatefold release by Bloodshot Records in early 1997, and "Ticket Time" and Alejandro Escovedo's "The Rain Won't Help You When It's Over" were on a limited-edition bonus EP packaged with initial pressings of the Strangers Almanac CD.

Aside from "The Rain Won't Help You", other cover songs on Disc Two include Fleetwood Mac's "Dreams", Gram Parsons' "Luxury Liner", and a Ryan Adams solo version of Johnny Cash's "I Still Miss Someone".

Previously unreleased outtakes from the Strangers sessions featured on Disc Two include "Kiss & Make-Up", "Indiana Gown", "Barn's On Fire", "Whispers" (a.k.a. "Streets Of Sirens"), "Breathe", and "10 Seconds Till The End Of The World".

Disc Two also includes alternate studio versions of Strangers tracks "Excuse Me While I Break My Own Heart Tonight", "16 Days", "Somebody Remembers The Rose", "Avenues", and "Turn Around".

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read about this in November - but did not want to post it until there was some more information - must be a well kept secret as to what is going to be on disc 2. I suppose it would have to be demos, live tracks, unreleased stuff, or a combination there of. But - I wonder what? I suppose it would not be all that hard to figure out.

I read about this in November - but did not want to post it until there was some more information - must be a well kept secret as to what is going to be on disc 2. I suppose it would have to be demos, live tracks, unreleased stuff, or a combination there of.

May just be voice messages that Ryan left for critics, fans, friends and politicians?

• 2 weeks later...

Here you go;

http://www.nodepression.net/blogs/news/200...hiskeytown.html

Deluxe reissue of Whiskeytown album due in March

Longtime No Depression subscriber Dean Dauphinais asked, and we thought the rest of you might be interested as well, so here are some details about the Deluxe Edition reissue of Whiskeytown's 1997 album Strangers Alamanac, due out March 4 via Geffen/Universal.

Disc One of the two-disc set will feature the original album plus five tracks recorded live on Los Angeles radio station KCRW on September 10, 1997. Three of those tracks are album cuts ("Houses On The Hill", "Turn Around", "Somebody Remembers The Rose") and two were not on the album ("Nurse With The Pills", "I Don't Care What You Think About Me").

The 20 tracks on disc two include outtakes and alternate tracks from the Strangers Almanac recording sessions and demo sessions. A few of them were issued separate from Strangers Almanac at the time: "Theme For A Trucker", "My Heart Is Broken", and alternate versions of "The Strip" (a.k.a. "Dancing With The Women At The Bar") and "Houses On The Hill" comprised a double 7-inch gatefold release by Bloodshot Records in early 1997, and "Ticket Time" and Alejandro Escovedo's "The Rain Won't Help You When It's Over" were on a limited-edition bonus EP packaged with initial pressings of the Strangers Almanac CD.

Aside from "The Rain Won't Help You", other cover songs on Disc Two include Fleetwood Mac's "Dreams", Gram Parsons' "Luxury Liner", and a Ryan Adams solo version of Johnny Cash's "I Still Miss Someone".

Previously unreleased outtakes from the Strangers sessions featured on Disc Two include "Kiss & Make-Up", "Indiana Gown", "Barn's On Fire", "Whispers" (a.k.a. "Streets Of Sirens"), "Breathe", and "10 Seconds Till The End Of The World".

Disc Two also includes alternate studio versions of Strangers tracks "Excuse Me While I Break My Own Heart Tonight", "16 Days", "Somebody Remembers The Rose", "Avenues", and "Turn Around".

Here you go;

http://www.nodepression.net/blogs/news/200...hiskeytown.html

Deluxe reissue of Whiskeytown album due in March

Longtime No Depression subscriber Dean Dauphinais asked, and we thought the rest of you might be interested as well, so here are some details about the Deluxe Edition reissue of Whiskeytown's 1997 album Strangers Alamanac, due out March 4 via Geffen/Universal.

Finally. I have heard most of that stuff - but it will be good to have a good sounding version of those tracks.

Thansk for the info. I hadn't heard about this one. I was just about to try to find a used copy on eBay, but I think I'll wait for this to come out instead.

I had not listened to this album in a long time until the other day - and I can safely say, the cd sounds like crap. I hope this new one sounds better.

• 2 weeks later...

Billboard is a bit late to the party:

Whiskeytown's 'Almanac' Bolstered For Reissue

Ryan Adams

January 30, 2008, 12:30 PM ET

Katie Hasty, N.Y.

On March 4, Mood Food/Outpost/Geffen/Ume will re-release Whiskeytown's "Strangers Almanac" as a double-disc deluxe edition. The newly expanded version will include previously unreleased Whiskeytown tracks plus several classic covers.

The first disc includes the original album, produced by Jim Scott, plus five live public radio performances. Acoustic demo versions of "16 Days," "Avenues" and "Excuse Me While I Break My Own Heart" join seven previously unreleased Whiskeytown tracks, including "Kiss & Make-Up" and "10 Seconds."

The band also tackles Fleetwood Mac's "Dreams," Gram Parsons' "Luxury Liner," Johnny Cash's "I Still Miss Someone" and the True Believers' "The Rain Won't Help You When It's Over."

Fronted by a then-22-year-old Ryan Adams, Whiskeytown originally released the set through Geffen-owned imprint Outpost in 1997. The group, which also included Caitlin Cary and Phil Wandscher, had already released "Faithless Street" independently in 1996.

The unit disbanded after the release of "Pneumonia" in 2001, with Adams heading full-time into a solo career he began the previous year with the album "Heartbreaker."

In related news, Adams will wrap a run of U.S. dates with shows tonight (Jan. 30) and tomorrow in Los Angeles. But on Feb. 23 at Toronto's Massey Hall, he will join the Cowboy Junkies for a complete performance of their acclaimed 1988 album, "The Trinity Sessions," which the latter band recently re-recorded.

It will be nice to have a studio version of their cover of Dreams. I have a version of it from a radio program, I think the World Cafe, but I've never been able to verify the source.

You know, sometimes I forget that Ryan Adams was in Whiskeytown. He's just changed so much since then, and not necessarily in all good ways. I think many of the songs he wrote during that time are far better than much of what he's written since.