The Grateful Dead

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for posting this - are we done with that other thread? Cause I had fun with that one. :thumbup

I feel one of my Dead phases coming on. Maybe I'll go to the archive.org and listen to the first of three Dead shows I attended. 9/19/87 at the MSG.

Set List:

Hell in a Bucket

Sugaree

Walkin' Blues

Candyman

Masterpiece

Bird Song

Shakedown Street

Man Smart/Woman Smarter

Terrapin Station

drums

Goin' Down the Road Feelin' Bad

All Along the Watchtower

Morning Dew

Good Lovin'

La Bamba

Good Lovin'

Knockin' on Heaven's Door

Yeah, I can type.

"The Man" locked it.

:pirate Oh well. I'm surprised it didn't happen earlier.

Anyway, I don't have any of those shows David listed - but from the same time frame, 11/2/69 has one of the best Dark Stars I've heard from '69. Check it out!

edit: Bjorn I think we've talked about this before, but that Dew is outstanding!

Two out of the three shows I saw were quite good; both were at the Garden. The show I saw at Giants Stadium was not as good. An interesting scene.

Oh

I never saw them - had a chance to once - but decided I do not want to around such things as well as, the gate crashing that was going on at the time.

I completely understand this. The drug thing was an imposition at best, and regarding the gate-crashing I'll just say this: when the fences at Deer Creek came down I was in the 6th row with my friend who I had followed the GD with for 15 years and we both just looked at each other and said (at the same time) "well, this is the last straw for me - NO MORE!"

One of the saddest days of my life - it had to happen in my backyard you know. :ohwell

I say this being a fan of the dead, but isn't it about time someone with proper measuring/tracking skills checked out how "deep" the vault really is, and what exists in the deepest deeps? it's kind of like that dead rapper who keeps putting out albums. let it all be heard...

I completely understand this. The drug thing was an imposition at best, and regarding the gate-crashing I'll just say this: when the fences at Deer Creek came down I was in the 6th row with my friend who I had followed the GD with for 15 years and we both just looked at each other and said (at the same time) "well, this is the last straw for me - NO MORE!"

One of the saddest days of my life - it had to happen in my backyard you know. :ohwell

The show I could have went to was the Pittsburgh show that ended up in a riot of some sort - as I recall the mayor banned them after that show. Also - there was the whole dosing of other people thing going on - and I did that to myself more times than I count back in the day - and I never thought it was cool to do that to people in the first place.

I say this being a fan of the dead, but isn't it about time someone with proper measuring/tracking skills checked out how "deep" the vault really is, and what exists in the deepest deeps? it's kind of like that dead rapper who keeps putting out albums. let it all be heard...

It has all been cataloged - Rhino now runs the show.

"All good things in all good time". :thumbup

I signed on for the whole trip. I personally hope to be discovering gems when I'm in my rocking chair.

Also - there was the whole dosing of other people thing going on - and I did that to myself more times than I count back in the day - and I never thought it was cool to do that to people in the first place.

Agreed. Absolutely not cool. Those rotten bastards just moved on and did the same thing at Phish shows after '95. :pirate

I signed on for the whole trip. I personally hope to be discovering gems when I'm in my rocking chair.

I don't think you'll be disappointed. that "deep in the vault" is wider than britney's vag--sorry, wrong thread

It did get pretty crazy....I stopped going to shows in 92 or so and only went to JGB shows....great tunes different vibe. I remember the good old days back in late 70's early 80's when you could walk up to the arena the night of a show and get a ticket, no one was getting too crazy, and the vibe was way more mellow......whattya gonna do?

"I was happy just to be alive

On my yearly Indiana vacation

But that was cut short by a bunch of jealous,

party bashin', buzz thrashin', gate crashin', stinky bastards

And if you're one of them

And you hear this song

F* you

You c* sucking motherf*" ~Keller Williams

Are you alowed to swear in VC? It's more profound if the swears are in there.

I live less than 20 miles from Deer Creek (I refuse to call it Verizon). I've seen hundreds of shows there. We drove to that show and the closest we could get was 4 miles away. Four consecutive 15 minute miles walking and we went through the gates just as the first song was starting. But those 4 miles... I've seen a lot of lot scenes but this was just way different. The vibe was just so dark - I'd been to the Snake Pit (when it was still The Snake Pit) at the Indy 500 back in the day and it had that same sort of black decadence, like a Hell's Angels thing. It totally creeped me out but we just kept walking at a brisk pace and avoided as much of the wierdness as possible.

OK, I'll shut up about this. There's a lot of good things to discuss here.

Yeah, the scene got totally ruined by idiots who only knew Touch of Grey from the radio and showed up expecting to hear it. Then they'd be pissed if the band didn't play it. :rolleyes

My shows were all between 82 & 84, except for one "last gasp" at MSG in 91 ... which was pretty good, but still a little too out there for me.

That '91 MSG run is pretty good - in fact, the 9/10 show with Branford is outstanding. Should have been a Dick's Pick imo.

I sort of like that song West L.A. Fadeaway.

That song is a good example of the breadth and scope of the GD songbook. I caught that song more times than I can count. Sometimes, it was just a first set filler yawnfest. But if Jer was on it could really rip your face off.

The thing that is interesting to me about West LA is that there is no rhythm from the guitars or bass - it's ALL lines...counterpoint.