Letters to Santa

from Pitchfork:

Tweedy, Oldham, Deal Sisters Play Second City Benefit

Also Steve Albini, Sally Timms and Jon Langford of the Mekons, Robbie Fulks

Improv comedy: It's not just for telling strangers to act like proctologists anymore! Beginning at 7 p.m. on Tuesday, December 4 and going until 7 p.m. on Wednesday, December 5, the folks at Chicago's famed Second City comedy institution will take to their own e.t.c. stage to perform a full day's worth of improv, with ticket sales going to buy holiday presents for needy children. This is the sixth annual "The Second City That Never Sleeps: Letters to Santa" event, and though the whole thing makes us a little drowsy just thinking about it, it also warms our Grinchian hearts.

We at Pitchfork enjoy a good chuckle now and again, but we especially like our chuckles with a side of music. And indeed, Second City will yet again spike their eggnog with a liberal splash of music, with guest appearances from Jeff Tweedy, Will Oldham, Steve Albini, Kim and Kelley Deal, Mekons Sally Timms and Jon Langford, and (as ever in Chicago) Robbie Fulks. No word on whether or not the musical lot will join in all the improv games, though we'd sure be curious to see Albini do "charming." Just funnin', Smiley!

Tweedy and Oldham. I may hurl with joy!!!!!!!

:dancing

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to be going for my first time ever, now that I'm back in the Chicagoland area. :dance

By the way, if indeed Jeff continues his generous streak and does the auction, and there are any VC groups forming that need an extra member, I'm going to go ahead and raise my hand.

:nailbite

I am the laughing stock of the board.

Also, yes, I'll wear it.

that is awesome........

Anybody think we will see a much bigger crowd this year? I rember last year it was relativlty quite until a little before show time, but I do rember they were turning folks away.

Anybody think we will see a much bigger crowd this year? I remember last year it was relativlty quite until a little before show time, but I do rember they were turning folks away.

That's been the norm the last few years. Hard to say if the Bonny Prince will have a large draw.

Does anyone rember how soon before the performance Sue made us aware of when Jeff was playing?

By the way Sue or Jeff if you happen to see this.

THANK YOU!

I will never forget two years ago watching Sue convince Jeff to do the three shows and couldn't stop thinking how geniune. I tried to thank Jeff for his charity work at Lolla this year but all that probably came out was mumble mumble.

So agian, THANK YOU!

This is really a great cause. I don't know pay pal but we should set up a donation fund on here again!

I will never forget two years ago watching Sue convince Jeff to do the three shows and couldn't stop thinking how geniune. I tried to thank Jeff for his charity work at Lolla this year but all that probably came out was mumble mumble.

So agian, THANK YOU!

This is really a great cause. I don't know pay pal but we should set up a donation fund on here again!

Wilco's and specifically the Tweedy's generosity towards both their fans and causes like this amaze me. They are great people.

I won't be able to make this, what with the school thing and all, but I hope that everybody who goes gets a chance to enjoy a really wonderful performance. :thumbup

I will never forget two years ago watching Sue convince Jeff to do the three shows and couldn't stop thinking how geniune.

so, i heard about the show, but is jeff auctioning off the living room show/shows again this year?

I am the laughing stock of the board.

That's totally not the case man. Shit, I thought it was ME! :stunned