U2 CD/DVD/Vinyl Remasters

To celebrate the 20th birthday of its landmark album "The Joshua Tree," U2 is reissuing the set in four different incarnations on Nov. 20 via UMe. The album will be available as a remastered single CD, a 2-CD set, a 2-CD/1-DVD collectible box and a double-vinyl package.

The single-disc will be housed in a jewel case, but the 2-CD set comes in a hard back case. The 2-CD/1-DVD version has a base and lid to accommodate the discs as well as five portfolio prints. Band members have contributed new liner notes for the package.

Of most interest to fans is the inclusion of rare material on the expanded editions. Although details have yet to be announced, "Joshua Tree" demos, alternate versions and B-sides from the period are expected to appear.

The DVD is understood to comprise a July 4, 1987, show at the Paris Hippodrome, as well as the documentary "Outside It's America."

Produced by Brian Eno, "The Joshua Tree" shot U2's commercial fortunes into the stratosphere. The album's first three tracks were huge singles, with both "With or Without You" and "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For."

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Joshua Tree, the ultimate U2 album, I think is a total classic. I own the cd and vinyl of this and not sure I will buy the new editions but wanted to comment on my love for the album.

The younger people may think of U2 in a different way cause of their gigantic pop status and their music has changed alot, but this album is what U2 is about for me. This album has some of the best stuff. Start to end, GREAT!!

"With or Without You" "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" "Where The Streets Have No Name" timeless lyrics that anyone from any culture, race, or timeperiod can relate to.

One of the best albums ever. Period. I'm thrilled to read this news, although it makes me feel oh so very old.

I honestly don't like U2 which is difficult for some over here to understand. I find them over blown and not all that special to be honest.

I like maybe a handful of their songs and that would be it. Fair play to them for putting Irish bands out there but they were never my thing.

Yeah I never understood the appeal of Bono's cheesy lyrics sung over the edge playing 3 or 4 notes in an arpeggio over and over.

Not to mention they were sell outs from the moment they hit it big.

Ah well, I like plenty of bands that others don't so...peace and goodwill to all men and all that guff.

I like U2, but is there any real reason for a 20 year old album being reissued? It isn't like it was out of print or anything.LouieB

That is a big bugbear for me. August and Everything After is being re-issued again too. I mean, jeebus, how many times do they want us to spring for the same fucking record? :realmad

there was once a joke on 'nevermind the buzzcocks' (a uk comedy quiz show about music) - not with mark lamarr, but with the new kid, and it went something like this:

i like u2

i believe their music has the power to heal broken souls

i am in awe of the edge's guitar playing talent

i am deeply impressed by bono's struggle against world poverty

i am an idiot

only it wasn't about u2, it was about robbie williams (and most of the words were different) but you get my point :monkey

. . .carry on

I like U2, but is there any real reason for a 20 year old album being reissued? It isn't like it was out of print or anything.

Yeah, U2 is the king of this kinda stuff. They even got an iPod designed for them. So much U2 stuff out there. I wont buy it all and I look past all their marketing and enjoy the music. Also, its not like they are just some uncaring rich rockstar partying their lives away. Bono has done alot of giving back to the world.

I still buy all their studio albums and cherish the classic U2. I think they deserve all the recognition they have more for their overall career.

In the morning I am a recluse, lost in memories

Ideal situations and convulsions

I'm never in and I can't remember

They built portholes for Bono, so he could gaze

Out across the bay and sing about mountains

Maybe. You are what you own in this land

You can be King and it all depends on the view and what you can see

And around here nobody tells me what to do anymore

Henry Rollins once said something along these lines to an appreciative audience in Dublin:

"They've been milking the same bass line and the same guitar trick for like five albums, and the world just kisses their ass ... and it's the biggest pile of shite I've ever heard."

I like U2, but I love that Rollins bit (he talks a bit about people making pilgrimages to Windmill Studios too -- that's the funnier part).

That is one dodgy area of the docklands. I don't know how more people are not mugged down there. I got jumped down there one night myself and got the crap beaten out of myself and another guy. Bastards.

I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but I liked Unforgettable Fire better. Not by much though.

That is one dodgy area of the docklands. I don't know how more people are not mugged down there. I got jumped down there one night myself and got the crap beaten out of myself and another guy. Bastards.

I felt like a real tool walking into a bar on the waterfront and asking where the "U2 wall" was, I'll tell you that.