Ryan Adams in Minneapolis

Ryan Adams played a short, hushed 70 minute set last night at the State Theater in Minneapolis. Apparently he was unhappy with the sound quality, and abruptly ended the show sans encore.

The sound wasn't great, but it wasn't horrible. I don't think that I'll be buying a ticket to see the mercurial RA anytime soon.

Makes me appreciate every time that I've seen Wilco even more -- they give 100% every night.

i thought he may have cleaned up his hissy-fits on this tour, but apparently not...

It's too bad that a lot of musicians are flakes.. I'm a musician and I'm a total flake.. ;)

The members of Wilco are really cool and down to earth though.. So I hear..

I don't mean to rain on your parade, because that's a great story but did anyone see him at the State in MPLS last night? I have seen Ryan 6 times and this was by far the worst. 1hr 5mins (no encore), Ryan was completely pissy all night and the music was sub par at best (although that was partly due to the sound). I really hoped that after he stopped drinking his shows would become more consistent. Clearly I was wrong. I won't go too deeply into ripping Ryan but as his ticket prices increase and performance qualities continue to be ever-erratic, its going to be hard to give him anymore of my money. Its even on CNN now:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/Music/09/2...s.ap/index.html

i've seen him in detroit, indy, kalamazoo, ann arbor, louisville, and chicago in the last 1-1/2 years. Nothing but great, great shows. Some longer than others. The one in chicago just would never end. It was amazing. Some shows were before the wrist injury, some after.

I feel sorry for the people of Mpls for the short show, but here's a report from ryanadamsarchive.com and it makes you wonder how could he keep going on if he couldn't hear himself sing or play guitar.

Yeah, the monitors were an issue from the beginning. He was constantly yelling at the sound guy between, and during songs. Lots of f-bombs directed stage left, and numerous frantic gestures mid-song. And during the last half of the set he was running over to the sound guy and bitching him out after almost every song. And he was also adjusting his pedals and amps and mic position constantly. And then there was him bent over literally moving his monitors around near the end of the night.

Even when he sat in for one song with the guy from Romantica, he was yelling at the sound guy numerous times during the song.

He wasn't complaining into to the crowd all night, other than a couple of times near the end, but he was as pissed off as I've seen him since he melted down at Navy Pier back in the Whiskeytown days. I was right down front and could see the expressions on this face when he was going after the sound guy, and I was actually pleasently suprised that 'shakedown' wasn't the last song of the show.

from another account:

At least Ryan has matured enough that he doesn't kick the monitors off the stage in these situations.

It was a super short set, but at least he did thank the crowd for coming and say how nice it was to play there again and say this is our last song before they launched into 'a kiss before a go' - as opposed to throwing a tantrum on stage and storming off while his guitar feeds back, or just walking off without a word like he's done in the past.

when we were hanging around outside the kalamazoo show monday night, the first thing neal casal said to all of us was "how was the sound? did we sound okay?" so take those reports into consideration before you pass on what could be a good show. watch the reports from the next few days and perhaps the technical issues will be resolved.

Man, where was CNN when he played Chicago in January? or Louisville in July? or The Gem Theater in Detroit?

:hmm

It must be a slow entertainment news day, because IMO this really isn't very interesting news. But then again, CNN gave Wilco press when Jeff Tweedy entered rehab. OMG! Alert the media!

I'm sorry, I know that it is tough to play without monitors but a 65 minute set for a $50 ticket isn't right. Especially that set. It never had any flow and definitely didn't feel like Kiss Before You Go was the last song. I have seen plenty of great 1 hr shows and plenty of really good shows in spite of technical problems (Ryan's infamous first ave show was almost one of them) and this was neither. He could have been a professional about it and came out and played 3 or 4 songs without the band eliminating the technical problems. I probably still wouldn't be satisfied but at least I would feel like he at least gives a damn. The way he just walked off, it felt like he couldn't care less about the people that just put $50 each into his pocket. And my favorite show of all time is a Ryan show, so I am well aware of how amazing he can be...

I have tickets for 3 more shows ... I could yet be disappointed, and I hear ya completely about your frustration. You have had some bad experiences and I wouldn't blame you for not seeing him again. Obviously I've just been lucky. And I don't have that long-term experience like so many of you do, as I never saw him until 1-1/2 years ago.

And thanks for bringing up the fact he could have done a few solo songs. Good call. Too bad his frustration level was apparently beyond that required (for him anyway) to have that kind of composure.

I have tickets for 3 more shows ... I could yet be disappointed, and I hear ya completely about your frustration. You have had some bad experiences and I wouldn't blame you for not seeing him again. Obviously I've just been lucky. And I don't have that long-term experience like so many of you do, as I never saw him until 1-1/2 years ago.

And thanks for bringing up the fact he could have done a few solo songs. Good call. Too bad his frustration level was apparently beyond that required (for him anyway) to have that kind of composure.

are you going tomorrow?

:lol ... I'm bringing 3 Ryan Adams newbies, so I hope no more drama, or my road trip buddies won't trust me ever again! :hmm

We're sitting in the left side of the loge, 3rd row. Allison - just like where we were sitting for Arcade Fire. Call or PM me if you, Kris, Alison - any of ya'll - are interested in joining us for dinner earlier. We have no plans for where, though, but we can figure it out as we go.

:wave

i've seen him in detroit, indy, kalamazoo, ann arbor, louisville, and chicago in the last 1-1/2 years. Nothing but great, great shows. Some longer than others. The one in chicago just would never end. It was amazing. Some shows were before the wrist injury, some after. I feel sorry for the people of Mpls for the short show, but here's a report from ryanadamsarchive.com and it makes you wonder how could he keep going on if he couldn't hear himself sing or play guitar. from another account: when we were hanging around outside the kalamazoo show monday night, the first thing neal casal said to all of us was "how was the sound? did we sound okay?" so take those reports into consideration before you pass on what could be a good show. watch the reports from the next few days and perhaps the technical issues will be resolved.

i'm sorry, but as a longtime Ryan defender, while i didn't attend this show due to the fact that his show in June was incredible and i didn't want to spoil that after 2 bad shows in a row (following 3 other incredible shows), Ryan is a professional musician, if he can't deal with sound issues now after over 15 years of professional touring, then he needs to grow up more than I thought.yes bad sound sucks, but you deal with it and move on. and so many people blame bad sound on the venues or their staff, but most of the time it's the band/artists own crew who have the biggest impact on how good or bad the sound is, so Ryan's only blaming himself indirectly when he rails on and on about sound (i've seen him do it numerous times, it's nothing new with him).how come i've seen other bands 15, 20, some even 25 times, and not a single of them has complained about sound as much as Ryan in the 7x i've seen him.

it's just disrespectful of his paying fans and as someone who has loved him since i first saw Whiskeytown open for John Fogerty in '97, my patience with him is definitely running out (i can't believe it didn't after those first 2 disasters of a show in '03 and '04). i will never pay to see Ryan again... ever. I got to go to the Cedar show for free, which was fantastic, but it's far too much of a crapshoot to risk it for $50 imo.

I'm sorry, I know that it is tough to play without monitors but a 65 minute set for a $50 ticket isn't right. Especially that set. It never had any flow and definitely didn't feel like Kiss Before You Go was the last song. I have seen plenty of great 1 hr shows and plenty of really good shows in spite of technical problems (Ryan's infamous first ave show was almost one of them) and this was neither. He could have been a professional about it and came out and played 3 or 4 songs without the band eliminating the technical problems. I probably still wouldn't be satisfied but at least I would feel like he at least gives a damn. The way he just walked off, it felt like he couldn't care less about the people that just put $50 each into his pocket. And my favorite show of all time is a Ryan show, so I am well aware of how amazing he can be...

you're on acid if you think Ryan's 2003 First Ave show was "really good in spite of technical problems". It was the 4th time i'd seen Ryan at the time, and not only was it the worst, it was also one of the worst, and to this day still remains one of the worst 3, shows i've ever seen in my entire life.even when he was ON he sucked (if you saw his 2001 First Ave show (3.5 hours+) you'd know what i'm talking about).

also, while the Cardinals are great, they don't hold a candle to Ryan's touring band from 2000 to 2002 w/ Bucky Baxter, Brad Rice, etc.

I've seen him twice, once in 2003 and once in 2005. Once he was fabulous and the second time he was pissy and awful and finally got booed off stage. I'd heard so many good things about this tour, and he was just starting to win me back, but this makes me doubt I'll ever go see him again. You just don't know which version of him you'll get--the terrific performer or the temperamental snot. Everybody is allowed to have an off night, but that's so unfair to his fans when he throws a tantrum like that and cuts a show short. He still gets the same amount of money for the performance, even if he gives a half-assed effort. It's the crowd that gets short-changed. I feel bad for those who went to the show--the show was too long for them to get a refund, but they definitely didn't get their money's worth. I agree with floyd that I thought he'd knock this behavior off when he got sober, but now I'm really disappointed to see he hasn't.

I love Ryan, but I've given up on seeing him live, just for this reason. I don't understand musicians punishing the audience when they have tech problems.

During the St. Louis White Stripes show in '03, Jack White had horrible sound problems and was obviously frustrated by the situation, so much so that he gave an intermission to get things fixed. Once they were up and running, he apologized profusely, then provided a super-long, ass-kicking encored filled with rarities. When I think of that show, I don't really think about the disappointment and frustration; I remember how awesome that encore was, and how Jack and Meg took a bad situation and made it right. Ryan could take a cue from this.

OK, I'm done with this thread, as my 1-1/2 years is just a tiny bubble in comparison to the rest of you who have gone through the highs and lows of Ryan Adams performances over the years. Kinda sounds like a manic roller coaster ride to me. I do realize that at any turn, I could be thrown out of the car as well.

But so far my little bubble of bliss has not been broken. I feel like I've gotten my money's worth. I'm 6 for 6 and :cheers here's hoping it ends up being 9 for 9 when my experience with him is over.

And I'm rooting for him, too ;)

I think tonights show will be awesome on account of him realizing he was an ass last night. I am envious of all of you that are going and hope like hell that your experience is better than last night.

Solace, you are right on on all counts (as usual). I did see the 3.5hr first ave show and it was one of the best ever. I also saw the one later that year at orpheum which was shorter but almost equally incredible. And that was by far the best band - generation of Ryan Adams. Also, back then, I don't remember quite as many Frat Boys and Screemy girls in the audience but that could just be my "those were the days" syndrome. Also, what I meant about Meltdown #1 was that he at least made the effort to salvage it with the acoustic set that they tried to play. And the acoustic set actually sounded good until he got too drunk or stupid to finish songs. And for the record, I am not actually on acid. :-)

I've seen Ryan 3 times now. The first time it was okay, but he played pretty much only Cold Roses songs and it was the very day Cold Roses came out (I believe). The crowd wasn't into it, and he left the stage after saying "We suck, goodnight!" The second time was this past June, and the set was about an hour and there was no encore and he barely said 3 words in between songs, but the performance was really good. Finally, I saw him last week at Massey Hall, and it was incredible. I can honestly say that some moments of that show are among my top concert moments ever.

In conclusion, see Ryan Adams if you are willing to pay and possibly see the worst/best concert. I will see him every time he's in town, because the good by far outweighs the bad for me.

Hope tonight is a good one!

OK haters I was at the show last night, and like Solace was at the show at the Cedar Center (which totally rocked btw) and I don't see the big deal. Ryan played a bunch of great songs and was really doing the best with what was available. The band was tight and though the sound kinda sucked, Ryans vocals could have been brought up a bit, I thought the show was a bit of alright. Ryan didn't say 3 words about the sound, and he very well may have been frustrated, the only thing I heard him say at all is when he sassed the crowd about calling out requests and that he couldn't really understand a word they were saying.

I would glady spend the $32.50 again. The dude can sing, and his band is on right now. Everyone has off nights, give him a little credit.

Anyway just my opinion, flame away.

The sound problems continued tonight in Madison, but I think Ryan dealt with it better than it sounds like he did in Minneapolis. He and the band mostly seemed in good spirits when Ryan wasn't kicking the monitors. He talked to the audience a lot, and seemed to be pretty hard on the Minneapolis audience from last night. I think the sound was better in Milwaukee, but I liked the Madison show a little more. It was really good, I thought, and relatively long. They definitely rocked out more than they did in Milwaukee. I also enjoyed the GA aspect of this show (and the fact that it was at the Barrymore.)

There was a Big Bird cutout onstage with the band tonight, and looking at my pictures, they look a lot more hilarious with Big Bird in the background than I'd realized during the show. I'll post one when I get them uploaded.

I'm not going to be in Chicago tomorrow, but Ryan's shows are such an adventure that now I kind of wish I were. I didn't see the band do "Magnolia Mountain" or "Halloween Head" at either Wisconsin show, which means you're pretty much guaranteed to get them in Chicago. ;)

Edit: "One of these things is not like the others ..."

1456325607_45b8b66deb_b.jpg