John Stirratt

Gotta love John. He plays his part in the band to perfection. And I've never seen him look any less than 100% enthused about it.

Ha ha! That's awesome! Go John! I'm also digging the area rug. Really ties the stage together.

Every time a rug is micturated upon in this fair city, I have to compensate the owner?

Funny, I was just reading how John was saying he's never had the urge to move so much onstage as he has with THIS line-up :rock

I reckon the picture would have been taken during Spiders (he was certainly going bonkers when they played that one in Dresden!).

I'm glad somene has started a JS thread, because the thought occurred to me today that SBS is actually JS's album. On the Leave Me Like You Found Me thread, someone remarked that JS was the only one who really extended himself on that track. I agree with that to an extent, but throughout SBS, he really plays his socks off. Maybe it has something to do with the way they recorded, or JS just having more freedom to express himself. I've always rated him as a rock-solid performer, but now I put him right up there with my favourite meisters of the bass. Next time you listen to SBS, concentrate on the bass (I nearly said concentrate on JS's parts!) and it might give you a new perspective.

What badger said. I think it's clear both John and Jeff's game has been elevated a few notches since Nels and Pat joined the band. You can hear it on KT and SBS pretty clearly...especially "John's parts". :yes

II put him right up there with my favourite meisters of the bass.

Agreed! There are some really fantastic bass lines on SBS.

I also like the term "meisters of the bass," a lot. (imagine that spoken in Philip Seymour Hoffman's voice from Boogie Nights)

Agreed! There are some really fantastic bass lines on SBS.

I also like the term "meisters of the bass," a lot. (imagine that spoken in Philip Seymour Hoffman's voice from Boogie Nights)

Yeah, John's made it into my top 10 bassists. Which is interesting, because the first time I saw Wilco I wasn't that impressed by the basslines. But they fit the songs so damn well, and his lines on SBS are amazing.