Swell Season 08/01/07 El Rey, LA

:worship

The El Rey is a pretty intimate general admission (standing room only) venue. So it was the ideal setting. Swell Season played for over 2 hours. They performed practically the whole soundtrack as well as a handful of new songs and it sounded great. Glen was very talkative with the audience and shared quite a few stories. Highlights are slowly coming back to me:

*covers of Van Morrison "Into The Mystic" & a Pixies song that I know I've heard before. Something about "sitting on the concrete"? If any of you Pixie buffs know the song, a title would be much appreciated.

*Glen tells a story about how his niece loves his songs, but she always gets sad listening to them. So he wrote her a song about how everyone loves bananas. Very catchy and upbeat.

*Damien Rice apparently helped cowrite some songs, and during the encore he came onstage and performed a song by himself. No clue what the song was, but it was great. I'm definitely going to dig deeper into his song bank.

*BEST FREAKIN' PART OF THE SHOW! --> during Glen's solo performance of "Say It To Me Now" his guitar setup shuts down. He tries for about 10 seconds to fix it but realizes it's a lost cause. So he says "if everyone just stays real quite I'll finish the song." Holy crap it gave me goose bumps. The place is dead silent and he just belts out the last 1:30 of the song. The crowd erupts in applause and cheering for quite an extended amount of time. Goose Bumps.

I feel very fortunate to have seen this performance and will lodged in my mind for quite some time. His band 'the Frames' are coming to town in September and I'm contemplating catching that performance as well.

Nice! I'm really looking forward to their show here on Saturday night.

Definitely catch The Frames. You get all the intensity (and Glen chattiness) of a show like this, plus some rockin' good fun.

:worship

The El Rey is a pretty intimate general admission (standing room only) venue. So it was the ideal setting. Swell Season played for over 2 hours. They performed practically the whole soundtrack as well as a handful of new songs and it sounded great. Glen was very talkative with the audience and shared quite a few stories. Highlights are slowly coming back to me:

*covers of Van Morrison "Into The Mystic" & a Pixies song that I know I've heard before. Something about "sitting on the concrete"? If any of you Pixie buffs know the song, a title would be much appreciated.

*Glen tells a story about how his niece loves his songs, but she always gets sad listening to them. So he wrote her a song about how everyone loves bananas. Very catchy and upbeat.

*Damien Rice apparently helped cowrite some songs, and during the encore he came onstage and performed a song by himself. No clue what the song was, but it was great. I'm definitely going to dig deeper into his song bank.

*BEST FREAKIN' PART OF THE SHOW! --> during Glen's solo performance of "Say It To Me Now" his guitar setup shuts down. He tries for about 10 seconds to fix it but realizes it's a lost cause. So he says "if everyone just stays real quite I'll finish the song." Holy crap it gave me goose bumps. The place is dead silent and he just belts out the last 1:30 of the song. The crowd erupts in applause and cheering for quite an extended amount of time. Goose Bumps.

I feel very fortunate to have seen this performance and will lodged in my mind for quite some time. His band 'the Frames' are coming to town in September and I'm contemplating catching that performance as well.

From the 9:30 Club setlist posted on NPR they played "Cactus" off of Surfer Rosa. I'm sure that's probably the Pixies song they played.

From the 9:30 Club setlist posted on NPR they played "Cactus" off of Surfer Rosa. I'm sure that's probably the Pixies song they played.

That's totally it. They performed it with just the 2 of them singing and electric guitar. Merci Beaucoup (murky buckets)!

That's totally it. They performed it with just the 2 of them singing and electric guitar. Merci Beaucoup (murky buckets)!

I hope NPR fixes it so you can download the show in the next few weeks. I'm still kicking myself for not going! :frusty