when did dubya become king?

I saw that yesterday.

There really is nothing left to say. It's just more of the same. The only thing we can do at this point is wait for his term to end.

But he's pretty much done irreparable damage to the checks and balances of the system. Whoever is elected will just exploit the doors he opened. There's no going back.

With that said, isn't the order aimed at acts of violence? Seems redundant really. Maybe I'm not quite following the legal-speak, though.

Ooo, quick edit. I noticed at the top of the White House page that it has a set of links for W, Mrs. W, Dicky C, and Lynn. I thought Dick wasn't part of the executive branch. They should remove that from the page so as not to confuse any school children looking at the site who might be tricked into thinking there's only 3 branches of gov't and not 4.

With that said, isn't the order aimed at acts of violence? Seems redundant really. Maybe I'm not quite following the legal-speak, though.

It gives the President the authority to decide, with no oversight, who qualifies under this order. The President having the authority to seize property from anyone that he, unilaterally, declares to be an enemy of the war effort is beyond frightening.

This order could EASILY target groups like Code Pink, Christian Peacemaker Teams, ANSWER, etc.......

Basically it give the president authority to seize assets and property of any individual or group that is deemed threatening to "stabilization efforts" in Iraq. Anti-war groups (who the right claim CONSTANTLY are aiding and abetting terrorism) and hell, any group that questions the Bush administration's policies could come under attack by this order......

It is truly frightening......and flies under the radar of most people.

boy, it sure does sound a lot like the sort of stuff we thought we moved past when Wilson left the oval office. but this is insult to injury in knowing that at least Wilson could have decoded the order and understand what it meant.

i read this yesterday too

no words can describe how absurd it is that somehow this guy and his stupid friends made it into the white house and are now doing whatever the fuck they want with no respect for the american people or the united states constitution. i feel so helpless...there is nothing we can do but wait.

"Well, when the President does it, that means that it is not illegal." - Richard Milhous Nixon, 1977

"Well, when the President does it, that means that it is not illegal." - Richard Milhous Nixon, 1977

Nice of you to remember. Although I think the current group goes way beyond the fevered dreams of Nixon. One thing (I think) is certain: when Jan. '09 finally rolls around, anyone of W.'s cabal who may be in legal jeopardy will be pardoned. Does anyone here really think that there will be any justice served?

Nice of you to remember. Although I think the current group goes way beyond the fevered dreams of Nixon. One thing (I think) is certain: when Jan. '09 finally rolls around, anyone of W.'s cabal who may be in legal jeopardy will be pardoned. Does anyone here really think that there will be any justice served?

No, except maybe the Eternal kind.

I really want to see that Frost and Nixon play that's down in the city now.

One of the Dem candidates should run on a platform of adding a constitutional ammendment that the President can't pardon people within their own administration. Which of course lets Cheney off the hook! :dontgetit

that's the problem of a two party system -- no one is willing to restrict powers they MIGHT get soon. it's like the idea of a maximum wage - most americans oppose it although the odds that most people will make $10 million INCOME per YEAR (current dollars, adjusted accordingly down the line) are staggeringly opposed.