RatDog w/ Keller Williams - Columbus, OH

My apologies in advance for filling yet another area of the forum with this Deadhead stuff. :lol I was going to post this in the GD thread we've already got going, but figured it probably belongs here. So here we go...

Bob Weir & Ratdog w/ Keller Williams

Tuesday, July 17, 2007

LC Pavilion

Columbus, OH

Lets begin with the obligatory crappy cameraphone pic:

ratdog2.jpg

I: Jam > Shakedown Street > Maggie's Farm > Baby Blue > Crazy Fingers > Big Boss Man, I'm a King Bee*, Might as Well*

II: You Win Again@, Jack-A-Roe@, She Says > Liberty+ > He's Gone+ > Stuff+ > Knockin on Heaven's Door > St. Stephen > William Tell Bridge > The Eleven

E: Black Muddy River

Show with Steve Kimock (Guitar); *-with Rob Barraco (Keys/Bass); +-with Keller Williams (Guitar/Vocals); Mark was absent; Bob sat in with Keller on "Cadillac" and "Cumberland Blues"

Previous ''I'm a King Bee'' 7/18/1997 [631 shows]

This was my first time I'd bothered venturing out to see any of the post-Dead spinoff bands in person. I may not be the world's biggest Bobby fan (I think that award goes to the lady nearby last night who kept yelling "Bobbbbby Weeeeeeeeeird!!" while squeezing her chest) :ermm, but really its just good to still hear these songs being played live. I went into it reminding myself that, of course, a Ratdog show is not a Dead show--even if some of the songs are the same--and I shouldn't compare it as such. And with that in mind I can definitely say that, on its own merits, overall I think it was a heckova show last night.

The rains did come, pretty much right on cue with the start of Ratdog's set. Skies were clearish and pleasant all through Keller's 1.5 hr set, which was quite good and entertaining, although the one-man-band bit did maybe drag on just a little too long for me. Bobby came out and sang on Keller's "Cadillac" song and then a nice "Cumberland Blues". Then it was time for a short break in order to let the rain clouds gather.

The pitter-patter began almost perfectly in time with the opening jam, which right away appeared to be heading toward Shakedown Street, which made for a great opener--started tight and gradually unwound and morphed into a nice Maggie's Farm. The rain came down hardest just as the band started into a fantastic "Crazy Fingers"--easily the highlight of the first set. Lots of people scurried for cover, which is too bad for them because the band seemed to be in some sort of synergy with the weather--the rain poured down and the music kept spinning off into spaciness and bouncing right back. Good stuff. The rest of the first set, however, seemed to bog down a little, imo. The notes say that this was the first "King Bee" in 10 years, which I guess is cool but this part of show kind of lost some momentum, imo.

The second set was pretty blazing. The rain let up during the break and remained just a light drizzle the rest of the night. Frankly I was so soaked by this point that I didn't even notice it anymore. But some of the crowd cleared out--or at least had sought shelter during the break--which meant we were able to find a spot much closer when the second set began. Started out with a nice "You Win Again" into "Jack-A-Roe" and slowly built up a lot of momentum over the course of the set into a great "He's Gone" crowd-singlaong and on into a jam. Things quieted down a bit with "Knockin'", only to bounce into a rowdy "St. Stephen > The Eleven" which made my night (man that Steve Kimock can play!), and sent us home with "Black Muddy River".

All in all, not bad. I can definitely see what people mean when they say that Ratdog just doesn't quite scale the same heights and have the "wow" moments of the best Dead shows. There is some truth to that. There's a different dynamic to this band--maybe its a little more reserved. But definitely a solid live band and a great way to spend a summer night...

Sounds like you had fun man! I told ya so! Now, if we can just get Phil to do something around here in the Fall... :pray

Yeah, I'd definitely go check out a Phil show. After years of basically ignoring the spinoff bands I'm ready to admit that they can actually be a lot of fun. :thumbup

Looks like the more hardcore Ratdoggers are pretty mixed in their feelings about last night's show. I did feel that the first set dragged a bit after the weather turned foul, but I thought they recovered fine in the second half. Or maybe I just enjoyed it more because I was closer to the stage. :lol

I have been to one Ratdog show prior. I have to admit I did not enjoy, it was shortly after Jerry died and I was still in the post Jerry funk. I do think I would enjoy a Ratdog show now thou. Thx for the post, I live in Cols. and feel ashamed I missed since I complain so much about the lack of quality shows that actually bother to stop in Columbus.

I got to see Phil Lesh once - he played here on campus - it was a "secret show". I stood about 3 feet in front of him.

Phil and Ryan Adams did an impromptu gig at my buddy's small bar that is directly next to the Fillmore a few years ago when the power went out during their rehearsal. Ryan was playing Garcia's "Tiger."

Phil and friends should be making an announcement soon regarding a tour this fall. Look for a lot of east coast dates and hopefully a Denver and/or Red Rocks stop. P&F is always a fantastic show, IMO.

I have been to one Ratdog show prior. I have to admit I did not enjoy, it was shortly after Jerry died and I was still in the post Jerry funk. I do think I would enjoy a Ratdog show now thou. Thx for the post, I live in Cols. and feel ashamed I missed since I complain so much about the lack of quality shows that actually bother to stop in Columbus.

Well, Jerry is definitely still missed. This was my first experience with Ratdog--honestly, I had always heard they kind of suck. Well, "suck" is maybe not the right word, but a lot of what I heard was from people who saw them when you did--not long after Jerry passed, and I think back then it was awkward because the band is playing GD songs and there are spots you just expect to hear Jerry's voice or his guitar or whatever. And then its kind of a kick in the gut when it doesn't come.

Time has probably healed a lot of that, I guess. Its still a little awkward, tho, to hear Bob sing songs that have been etched into my mind with Jerry's voice. And Ratdog is maybe not quite as adventurous, musically. But if you can detach yourself from expecting it to sound just like a GD concert, then Ratdog is pretty enjoyable on its own merits.

I hear you about the lack of quality shows in Columbus. I just moved back here after being out on the east coast for a long time and I'd kind of forgotten that. Strangely, tho, I'm a lot more likely to go to shows now that I'm back here. I was living in CT and it was always like 90 minute haul if I wanted to go into NYC or whatever and I'm a family guy now, so I almost never went to shows because it took me too far away from home. Now it only takes me like 15 min to get to downtown C-bus from my house......if only more decent bands would show up! :lol

Well, Jerry is definitely still missed. This was my first experience with Ratdog--honestly, I had always heard they kind of suck. Well, "suck" is maybe not the right word, but a lot of what I heard was from people who saw them when you did--not long after Jerry passed, and I think back then it was awkward because the band is playing GD songs and there are spots you just expect to hear Jerry's voice or his guitar or whatever. And then its kind of a kick in the gut when it doesn't come.

Time has probably healed a lot of that, I guess. Its still a little awkward, tho, to hear Bob sing songs that have been etched into my mind with Jerry's voice. And Ratdog is maybe not quite as adventurous, musically. But if you can detach yourself from expecting it to sound exactly like a GD concert, then Ratdog is pretty enjoyable on its own merits.

I hear you about the lack of quality shows in Columbus. I just moved back here after being out on the east coast for a long time and I'd kind of forgotten that. Strangely, tho, I'm a lot more likely to go to shows now that I'm back here. I was living in CT and it was always like 90 minute haul if I wanted to go into NYC or whatever and I'm a family guy now, so I almost never went to shows because it took me too far away from home. Now it only takes me like 15 min to get to downtown C-bus from my house......if only more decent bands would show up! :lol

I hear you on the family man thing, although my daughter has grown up going to Wilco shows it is always tough to get out anymore. Here is to hoping we will get a local Wilco show here soon, my last few shows have been like 3 hour drives from here. :worship

Time has probably healed a lot of that, I guess. Its still a little awkward, tho, to hear Bob sing songs that have been etched into my mind with Jerry's voice. And Ratdog is maybe not quite as adventurous, musically. But if you can detach yourself from expecting it to sound exactly like a GD concert, then Ratdog is pretty enjoyable on its own merits.

This is a good point. It did take some distance in time for me to embrace the sounds of the spin-offs. The bottom line (for me) though is hearing the music in a live setting. I love the ability to go back to the GD on tape/cd but hearing the tunes (however altered) live is what it's about. Yeah, it's not the same but that's not going to change. I really think it takes a little work to think of the spin-offs as something different and to stop with making comparisons. That'll almost always leave you disappointed.

It's still good tunes, IMO.

Right. Its a different band, but I guess sometimes its difficult to hear it as such. I avoided the spinoffs for a long time because I guess I just figured "Meh, its not the same." Of course its not the same. It never will be. But you're right, there is something about hearing the music being played live. Really, it would be a shame if Bobby and Phil weren't out there still playing those songs. But you have to kind of accept the music for what it is. You're right, if you go into it making comparisons then you're probably not going to going to enjoy it.

Right. Its a different band, but I guess sometimes its difficult to hear it as such. I avoided the spinoffs for a long time because I guess I just figured "Meh, its not the same." Of course its not the same. It never will be. But you're right, there is something about hearing the music being played live. Really, it would be a shame if Bobby and Phil weren't out there still playing those songs. But you have to kind of accept the music for what it is. You're right, if you go into it making comparisons then you're probably not going to going to enjoy it.

Amen to Bobby and Phil keeping it alive, that is as fresh of a view that I have heard in awhile, I would love to see Ryan Adams and Phil together.

I've always enjoyed P&F much more than RD, just for the more jam-oriented nature of Phil's bands. I really wish the band w/ Herring & Haynes had stayed together. There was no question in my mind that during '01-'02 that was the best band on the planet.

I can't get past the irony though of Bobby having Kimock playing with him. Don't expect a full-blown Bobby/Phil make-up anytime soon!

I've always enjoyed P&F much more than RD, just for the more jam-oriented nature of Phil's bands.

I would like to check out a Phil show for exactly this reason. RD was good, and "jammy" when they wanted to be, but also felt a little more "structured" than I guess I would expect a GD-family band to sound. Once a song began, there wasn't so much a feeling that the music could turn on a dime and take you someplace unexpected. Are Phil's shows more like that? (I assume a lot of has to do with whom is in his band at the time, I guess)

Are Phil's shows more like that? (I assume a lot of has to do with whom is in his band at the time, I guess)

Phil shows are definitely more free-form and loose. It's just the way Phil likes his band(s). He purposefully changes the line-up around so as to keep it innovative, fresh, and exploratory and so as not to fall into ruts and have it get stale. He's the ringleader but less in a sense as Bob is with Ratdog. P&F shows definitely seem more of a collaboration/collective and are known to take bigger chances with the music. It works most of the time, too.

As mb suggested, the line-up with Warren and Jimmy Herring really smoked and I'll take John Molo on the kit over Jeff Sipe or others any day of the week. Phil's recent shows (private gig) featured up-and-comer Jackie Greene on lead guitar and he's had Larry Campbell (guitarist for Dylan, at times) as well as Trey, John Scofield, etc.

I also enjoyed when he had Chris Robinson doing vocals for a spell. It just worked for me.

Phil shows are definitely more free-form and loose. It's just the way Phil likes his band(s). He purposefully changes the line-up around so as to keep it innovative, fresh, and exploratory and so as not to fall into ruts and have it get stale. He's the ringleader but less in a sense as Bob is with Ratdog. P&F shows definitely seem more of a collaboration/collective and are known to take bigger chances with the music. It works most of the time, too.

As mb suggested, the line-up with Warren and Jimmy Herring really smoked and I'll take John Molo on the kit over Jeff Sipe or others any day of the week. Phil's recent shows (private gig) featured up-and-comer Jackie Greene on lead guitar and he's had Larry Campbell (guitarist for Dylan, at times) as well as Trey, John Scofield, etc.

I also enjoyed when he had Chris Robinson doing vocals for a spell. It just worked for me.

Warren and Jimmy Herring - that's who was with him when I saw the band

It's just the way Phil likes his band(s).

And people for that matter.................................Bobs a douche bag!I met him once and he was an a-hole,go figure.

Don't forget Barry Sless! :worship

I'll have to check out some of Phil's shows with Warren and Jimmy playing...that should be sweet. The other day I was listening to a show from when Ryan Adams was playing with them and I found it interesting how the band seemed to adapt its sound to fit around RA's style rather than forcing Ryan to "play Jerry" all night. It definitely sounded very collaborative. Some songs seemed to work better than others, but yeah, I can see how you might say that his band takes more risks.

Ok, well I just started this thread to talk about the RD show and now I can't wait for Phil to come to town. :P Would be even cooler to see them back playing together, but as mentioned, I don't get the sense that its gonna happen anytime soon.

One more note on this otherwise almost-dead thread.

Had a hallway conversation with a guy at work here and mentioned that I'd been at the Ratdog show the other night, at which point he pointed out to me that Dark Star Orchestra is playing here tonight and he had this to say about it:

Dude, Fake Bobby is so much more fun than Real Bobby.

Which cracked me up, for some reason. :lol

Don't think I can make it tonight, but one of these days I'll have to give DSO a try...I've heard they're actually really good.

DSO is a fun time. They do a very admirable job of covering whole shows. They'll toss in some bonus stuff at the end of the show, too. They're not like "Beatlemania" so much but tune-wise they sound close. They've had a few line up changes in the past. I've seen shows when they've had "Keith" with the baby grand piano and "Brent" and "Pig" shows as well.

Their keyboard guy passed away a little over a year ago, so yeah, they're pretty authentic down to the requirements of playing in the "hot seat" even.

The thing with DSO these days is they charge $25 and upward for most shows. I'm not saying they don't deserve to earn a living at what they do or are not worth the money they charge, but for my nickel it's a little steep.

Ok, well I just started this thread to talk about the RD show and now I can't wait for Phil to come to town. :P

OK, here's the Fall tour dates! :dancing

http://www.phillesh.net/philzonepages/frie...f/calendar.html

Lammy, you gets your wish! :thumbup