I love those VW commercials

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to admit I usually hate bands who sell their music to commercials, especially new music. I have to admit I love them. The commercials are done very tastfully and VW has a great product to sell. Hell, I have even thought of trading in my BMW for a new VW!!!!!!!!

someone explain to this poor soul that she's not really enjoying the album (or the commercials), that she's only being played by the pervasive corporate marketing blah blah fuckity...

Buddy of mine who would've never heard of Wilco bought SBS at Starbucks, and he's digging on it.

Corpoganda rulez.

I don't mind the VW commercials. It's nice to hear a little Wilco when I least expect it. I was in the kitchen washing dishes the other night on a commercial break from something I was watching, and I loved turning off the water and hearing a snippet of Sky Blue Sky.

that's the way i look at it too.

i was sleeping a few days ago, and got woken up with "is that the thanks i get" blasting on the tv downstairs. it was both really odd and very cool, because i was having a very vivid recollecting dream of the atlanta show...

I don't mind it much. However, it's tough when you've had those songs playing in your head all day and you're trying to forget them. Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in...

People who don't enjoy the commercials simply turn the TV off. They are not your songs they belong to Jeff and the boys. It was his decision and his music so if you are close minded enough to hate Wilco over this, you were not a "true" fan anyhow. Things I do not like I simply do not allow to take up any of my time. Wilco is not indie rock they do not have anything to prove to all you wannabe hipsters who think everythig they adore is sacred and exempt from the public. I first didn't know what to think, although I finally decided Jeff would never compromise his music just for a few bucks. If Starbucks and VW help get the word out them so be it. One thing I know for sure, all these so called indie or hip radio stations would not touch Wilco with a 10 ft. pole. It is the same shit over and over. I am so sick of so called cool people like Bjork, or Thurston Moore I could puke. While I certainly do not like every song Wilco makes, in fact there is usually a stinker on every cd, they are still the best band around and any fan who bitches about Wilco needs to get a life. These guys are so fan friendly it is unreal. Just thank about all the Free music and bonus tracks they have given us in the past year, let alone webcasts etc. So my words are shut the fuck up you are not Jeff, you do not influence his thinking and if you dont like the direction of the band go back and find another band until they upset you with trying to actually get the music out there so people outside of top 40 radio can hear it.

People who don't enjoy the commercials simply turn the TV off. They are not your songs they belong to Jeff and the boys. It was his decision and his music so if you are close minded enough to hate Wilco over this, you were not a "true" fan anyhow. Things I do not like I simply do not allow to take up any of my time. Wilco is not indie rock they do not have anything to prove to all you wannabe hipsters who think everythig they adore is sacred and exempt from the public. I first didn't know what to think, although I finally decided Jeff would never compromise his music just for a few bucks. If Starbucks and VW help get the word out them so be it. One thing I know for sure, all these so called indie or hip radio stations would not touch Wilco with a 10 ft. pole. It is the same shit over and over. I am so sick of so called cool people like Bjork, or Thurston Moore I could puke. While I certainly do not like every song Wilco makes, in fact there is usually a stinker on every cd, they are still the best band around and any fan who bitches about Wilco needs to get a life. These guys are so fan friendly it is unreal. Just thank about all the Free music and bonus tracks they have given us in the past year, let alone webcasts etc. So my words are shut the fuck up you are not Jeff, you do not influence his thinking and if you dont like the direction of the band go back and find another band until they upset you with trying to actually get the music out there so people outside of top 40 radio can hear it.

Wow. My head is spinning after reading this.

Could you please describe what a

Sky Blue Sky is exactly the sort of album I'd expect to find on the sale rack at Starbucks or hear in car commercials. And you can take those words to mean whatever you want to. :thumbup

...If you don't love America then get the hell out...

...If you aren't with us then you're against us...

Is it wrong that I laughed at the screen name of this poster and said to myself..."ah, that makes sense"? Yes, it is wrong. I take it back...I take it all back. (turning off the TV now)

There are four of these up on youtube for those of you who may not have seen all of them yet. I hadn't seen the one with Either Way yet...I actually kind of like it. It's cute. The others I only like because they have Teh Wilcos in them.

I'm partial to the AMC channel using What Light.....See the light!! (with images of Mel Gibson as Braveheart, etc.).

:pirate

I like that one too. I like all of those sappy movie clip montage things and when it's set to Wilco it's even sweeter.

I like that one too. I like all of those sappy movie clip montage things and when it's set to Wilco it's even sweeter.

And they actually list the artist, which I think is unusual for this kind of commingling.

i bet jeff's having a right old laugh reading these threads

i truly believe that he could care less how we feel about this. good for jeff and the boys getting a little extra jingle in their pockets... and getting a combined 90 seconds mainstream play of 2 album tracks and 1 bonus track.