Late Greats

Always In Love

OttaSite (OuttaMind)

-- 10:55 ---

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was an okay Wilco show, I was a little dissapointed when they set the guitars down at the end of late greats, thinking it was the end of the show. But then when Jeff said "we have time for a few more..." and went right into im always in love and then outtasight, it made the show great!

Awesome show tonight. The second encore was unreal and Spiders was one of the best I've heard in a long while: during the second section, the skies opened up and showered the pavilion for the rest of the show. Great stuff.

Nels went nuts at the beginning of the show on Side With the Seeds and tghat set the tone for the night...the whole band was on fire tonight...this was the best energy at a wilco show I've ever seen...I am out of my mind with enjoyment from this show...can't wait to hear it back on tape...

I have seen Wilco many times and must say that this was one of if not the best Wilco show I have seen. What a band! Clearly enjoying themselves, tight as hell, and on fire, and many goosebumps. I hope Glenn had himself a shower. Passeger Side was a great surprise, but I thought the crwod would go more nuts over it. I guess that shows how many new fans there are that may not know this one. All good.

I still can't get over Passenger Side. Most of the people around me didn't know what to do, but I can't blame them for that (though it's a bit lame that a song like Side with the Seeds had more of a response). I wish they had played Kingpin seeing as Boston is one of the few places that can work with the song, but I guess they can't fit in a few Being There tracks all the time.

Probably the third best Wilco show I've seen after last July at the Pines and this past Sunday, but still fantastic.

Oh and I'm sure this has been answered in another thread, but I'm lazy: what is that thing they had up on a pole that Jeff called their "backdrop"? It didn't draw as much attention at the Pines, but I figured it was Glenn's Tibetan prayer shawl or something.

I still can't get over Passenger Side. Most of the people around me didn't know what to do, but I can't blame them for that (though it's a bit lame that a song like Side with the Seeds had more of a response). I wish they had played Kingpin seeing as Boston is one of the few places that can work with the song, but I guess they can't fit in a few Being There tracks all the time.

Probably the third best Wilco show I've seen after last July at the Pines and this past Sunday, but still fantastic.

Oh and I'm sure this has been answered in another thread, but I'm lazy: what is that thing they had up on a pole that Jeff called their "backdrop"? It didn't draw as much attention at the Pines, but I figured it was Glenn's Tibetan prayer shawl or something.

I would guess it is the Macrame Owl. They have been asking for Macrame from the audience for awhile and someone gave them that?

I still can't get over Passenger Side. Most of the people around me didn't know what to do, but I can't blame them for that .

I think people figured out what to do. I mean, it's a rock song. Not too complicated - everyone I saw was dancing and rocking out.

Great show - the macrame owl was funny. The sound mix was so-so. And Jeff had the jumbotron camera do a closeup of two pimples on his chin. You could see them on the big screen :) He said "I finally hit puberty!"

I have seen Wilco many times and must say that this was one of if not the best Wilco show I have seen. What a band! Clearly enjoying themselves, tight as hell, and on fire, and many goosebumps. I hope Glenn had himself a shower. Passeger Side was a great surprise, but I thought the crwod would go more nuts over it. I guess that shows how many new fans there are that may not know this one. All good.

I had people around me in Atlanta that had never heard Outtasite. To most of the new crowd the band did not really exist until YHF... and i'm cool with that... everyone has a starting point. Mine = Summerteeth.

One of the funniest comments i have ever heard was at a Wilco show in Athens around '02 and when they played "Passenger Side" the guy behind me said 'This Shit Ain't On Foxtrot".... classic.

I think people figured out what to do. I mean, it's a rock song. Not too complicated - everyone I saw was dancing and rocking out.

Great show - the macrame owl was funny. The sound mix was so-so. And Jeff had the jumbotron camera do a closeup of two pimples on his chin. You could see them on the big screen :) He said "I finally hit puberty!"

I was actually pretty happy with the sound. Keyboars were low and the drums a bit muddy, but for an outdoor tent it was good. I was second section next to board andwas immediately stuck by the quality of the sound. I have seen a few shows there where the sound was sucked. Elvis Costello comes to mind.

I thought the Volkswagaon comment was very funny.

I was actually pretty happy with the sound. Keyboars were low and the drums a bit muddy, but for an outdoor tent it was good. I was second section next to board andwas immediately stuck by the quality of the sound. I have seen a few shows there where the sound was sucked. Elvis Costello comes to mind.

I'll bet the sound was better near you, since you were right next to the board. That's always a good spot for sound. We couldn't hear bass or bass drum practically at all. keyboards were high, which was fine with me. And you couldn't miss Nels' guitar-isms assaulting (in a good way) your ear drums. So good.

I was at Elvis Costello too, and I agree :yes

wow, that was an awesome show!

Jeff called upon me to guess California Stars, I was actually on the jumbotron haha. So much fun!

Nice! I was a few seats over to your right (standing next to John's in laws, who oddly and coincidentally had dinner with my aunt the night before).

It was a great show. Glenn is a monster.

As Maudie pointed out to me, Mike rocked the glasses right off his face during Spiders. It was pretty great.

aha! i noticed he had them off at the end of the song, but wasn't sure how that happened!

on & on & on: chills chills chills. boy howdy this is one gorgeous song.

great, great show.. it seemed like the outtasite final song was spontaneous with jeff going around to call it out to everyone else.. i'd like to think it was in response to the crowd vibe being so positive, but who can know such things.. i'll just go forth and assume that that's what it was.... ;) great booked to the pines theater show which i thought, perhaps given the venue, was a little (just a little, mind you) mellower and folkier.. last night it just seemed that the guitars came out to play. spiders seemed to rock harder this time around... imho. all in all.. great trip through town... wish i could go to shelburne (the venue looks awesome) but too far to roundtrip. enjoy!

I must be one lucky schuck, because I've seen Wilco do Passenger Side at something like 5 out of 8 shows. It's a really fun singalong type song (even if you've never heard it, you could sing along with the refrain).

I think it's become a rarity because so many boneheads don't respond to it, since they haven't bought the back catalog. Same with classics like Was I In Your Dreams, OuttaSite and even Via Chicago. Sad.

Buy the back catalog, people!

Great show! My son's first concert . . . will take a while for him to top!

Didn't see anyone taping, but fingers crossed. Any word?

Here is the review from the Boston Globe:

MUSIC REVIEW

Adventuresome Wilco keeps soaring, pushing the envelope

By Joan Anderman, Globe Staff | June 29, 2007

Wilco performed last night on a stage stripped to nothing, with the bones of the Bank of America Pavilion exposed, and no visual bells or whistles to beef up the entertainment quotient. Wilco isn't the only rock group whose music can stand alone -- but it's the only band of its caliber that would risk it. The Chicago outfit has built a brilliant career from combining sturdy American songcraft with a fearless sense of adventure, and their Boston show was no exception.

Wilco is on the road in support of "Sky Blue Sky," a collection of warm folk-rock and alt-country gems reminiscent of the group's early, earthy sound. But everything Jeff Tweedy and company has explored in the last decade -- psychedelic soul, lush pop, ambient drones -- was woven into the mix, and with few exceptions the songs (old and new) felt freshly considered. "I Am Trying to Break Your Heart" was transformed into an ethereal march -- all twinkling keyboards and walloping drums -- that narrowed into a ribbon of pure noise.

There is nothing this band can't play, and in the course of nearly two hours there was hardly anything they didn't: winsome pop ("Jesus, etc." and "Hummingbird" ), hard rock ("Spiders (Kidsmoke)") , dreamy meditations ("On and On and On" ) and Woody Guthrie ("California Stars" ). Wilco may be the world's only experimental country band, and in avant-garde guitarist Nels Cline , the newest member in a notoriously shifting lineup, it feels like Wilco has found a key piece of their musical puzzle.

Cline didn't so much play solos as embark on mind-bending excursions made of searing, serpentine runs or punishing pedal steel. When he swooped into the blues waltz "Side with the Seeds," loosing shards of razor-edged notes, or punctured the sedate surface of "Handshake Drugs" by rubbing at his strings like they were a stubborn spot, Cline wasn't just being interesting -- he was supplying the songs' dark, complicated subplot.

"What you once were isn't what you want to be anymore," Tweedy sang on " Shot in the Arm." Happily, he and his ever-changing, endlessly inventive band don't hesitate to do something about it.

Joan Anderman can be reached at anderman@globe.com. For more on music visit boston.com/ae/ music/blog.