When the Roses Bloom again.....

Quick question.....I have this song on a bootleg somewhere but can't find it amongst all my stuff. My wife has it on her Ipod somehow but not on her itunes....weird. It was suppose to be on the Mermaid Ave cd, right?? Where is it recorded...can't find it.

Any help appreciated.

I guess this was played live a little more than I thought. I have a couple of versions, the 12/30/98 Fillmore show is a good 'un. :thumbup

it was recorded during mermaid avenue but then discovered the lyrics weren't actaully from woody guthrie, so it got shelved for a while. the Man in the sand DVD has a nice clip of jeff singing it in the recording booth with the band

When The Roses Bloom Again - also to be found on Oxford American Southern C.D. Sampler - ISSUE 34 4th Annual Southern Music Issue. July-August 2000

One time I saw Wilco play, they opened with 'one by one', then they played 'roses' then they played 'bob dylan's beard'.

most amazing start to a show ever.

wilco played this great song when they were last in knoxville, march of '06. i thought it was a cover at first.

edit: well, i guess it is a cover. my b.

Well it is sort of a cover. The lyrics are from poems that Woody had written but they had no music set to them. So I don't know what you would call that. :unsure

One time I saw Wilco play, they opened with 'one by one', then they played 'roses' then they played 'bob dylan's beard'.

most amazing start to a show ever.

That would have been awesome to see live. 'One by One' is one of favorite MMA songs. Which is wierd because I usually don't like songs that start out with a fade in and fade out.

Well it is sort of a cover. The lyrics are from poems that Woody had written but they had no music set to them. So I don't know what you would call that. :unsure

didnt they discover the lyrics werent from guthrie so thats why it was left off the album?

They played When the Roses ... when they were on Prairie Home Companion (051207). The link is still alive and well on WILCO - NEWS.

There are other lovely surprises from backlist and current catalog ... Enjoy!

Lisa

yes, the lyrics are credited to A.P. Carter, with the arrangement credited to Wilco.

Yes, this is true. And so they took the melody and made "Blood of the Lamb".

Anyways, I love when they perform it with Nels. His lap steel is beautiful. Like the KCRW version.

yes, the lyrics are credited to A.P. Carter, with the arrangement credited to Wilco.
I recently read the book about the Carter family. AP "borrowed" lyrics anywhere he could find them (as did Woody Guthrie, who borrowed both tunes and lyrics liberally as well), by taking trips into the hills and talking to people about songs they knew. As a result AP's songs were frequently older popular songs people had been singing for some time (not just "folk" type songs) and he and Ralph Peer published them under their names. That was the good old days. There weren't as many lawyers back in those days.

Another interesting thing about AP was that he had trouble remembering tunes, so he took a black blues singer with him (who's name escapes me) to learn the tunes, who would then teach them to the rest of the group. Many Carter Family songs were optained this way since the Carters themselves did not have that large a repetoire and Peer was constantly asking for new material and they couldn't come up with new stuff that quickly. These song hunting trips eventually led to tension between AP and Sarah and their eventual divorce and the break-up of the group.

I'm sure I've seen very old sheet music for this song... so did Wilco just change the arrangement, rather than compose it? for instance, there's a pdf of the notation here:

http://odin.indstate.edu/about/units/rbsc/kirk/sm1900.html

Alex :ike :ike

This is very cool. Can someone actually play this sheet music and post the original tune??

In retrospect it is fairly obvious that these lyrics are not Woody's. Compared to most of the other stuff that appears on the MA sessions, these lyrics are quite different in structure and content. But the words themselves are extremely compelling and touching, making it a great songs. Sally Timms does a great version of this song as well.

LouieB

This is very cool. Can someone actually play this sheet music and post the original tune??

LouieB

What a great idea, I can't read notation but would be curious to hear what this sounds like!

(It would be hilarious if it sounded like 'I Am A Wheel'...)

Thanks,

Alex

What a great idea, I can't read notation but would be curious to hear what this sounds like!

(It would be hilarious if it sounded like 'I Am A Wheel'...)

Thanks,

Alex

I would love that. I have always wondered what the original music was like. I am sure it is far more sentimental turn of the century parlor song, but it would be instructive.

LouieB

Guest Jules

The song is copyrighted by A.P. Carter, but has actually been traced back to 1901; the words originally written by Will D. Cobb and Gus Edwards.

Also, I thought the music was credited to Tweedy only?