brakes 6/7/07 denver

for a full version you can go here. otherwise, here's a setlist. great show.

Hold Me In The River

Ring A Ding Ding

Heard About Your Band

Pick Up The Phone

I Can't Stand To Stand Beside You

Cheney

You're So Pretty

Margarita

Beatific Vision

All Night Disco Party

On Your Side

We Saw Jerry's Daughter (CVB cover)

Cease And Desist

What's In It For Me?

Spring Chicken

Porcupine Or Pineapple

The Most Fun

NY Pie

Comma Comma Comma Full Stop (on setlist, not played - you know it's bad when a 7 second song is scratched...)

No Return (on setlist, not played, which really pissed me off!!!)

Jackson

Huevos Rancheros

I LOVED this show. We had roughly the same setlist with Cheney and Comma Comma Comma being played 3 times. What a fun and great band. Pity there were only 50 people there.

There are 4 or 5 dates left on the tour and they probably won't be back for 3 or 4 years. If you are in Montreal or New York, go see this band.

Hats off to VC member Newslang for getting me on the guest list. I of course loaded up on a copy of Beatific Visions and a Porcupine Pineapple shirt in a 1/20th return of the Karma.

did you make it out for esp and pela? sounds like your crowd was roughly the same size as mine. the good news is i never thought i'd see them live, but now that i have it sucks to know they may never wanna come back...

Bridge - I opted for a killer hot yoga class that ran til 8:30. Missed ESP and most of Pela. My mind is regretting missing the two openers as I was taking to an ESP member and he seemed charming and from the last couple songs of PELA, they sound like a great band.

(the Pela lead singer, did a jump from the kickdrum, lost his balance and fell off the stage)

But, my body is thanking me for getting some exercise.

I too am just happy I got to see Brakes. I was amazed that there is absolutely nothing to Eamon Hamilton. He's just a cheney-hating, energetic wisp of a man. I'm also playing the hell of Beatific Visions. I somehow skipped over it last year, and now realize that Uyen was right. It is top 10 worthy.

(the Pela lead singer, did a jump from the kickdrum, lost his balance and fell off the stage)

he almost fell off the stage twice in denver... of course the hi-dive stage is roughly the size of a postage stamp... :lol

I was amazed that there is absolutely nothing to Eamon Hamilton. He's just a cheney-hating, energetic wisp of a man. I'm also playing the hell of Beatific Visions. I somehow skipped over it last year, and now realize that Uyen was right. It is top 10 worthy.

i know - he's tiny! beatific visions was def in my top 10 last year... i think i'm liking it even more than give blood these days.

i know - he's tiny! beatific visions was def in my top 10 last year... i think i'm liking it even more than give blood these days.

Gotta say that the rendition of No Return was one of those moments in concert where you sorta go 'woah, this is something really special'

from the Myspace Blog (and I don't know which band member of writing it, but it's not Eamon) about the TO show:

Brakes went on and for me it was the third gig in a row that felt way above average. We even got an encore, enthusiastically introduced by uber-fan Kevon: a young looking, eloquently spoken, moustached fellow with an encyclopaedic knowledge of British music and band trivia

and this:

We had intended to get all the way to Niagara Falls that day and have the next morning to experience the natural wonder. The land had its weary way with us though and the journey was just too long. We opted instead to stay in a town called London. We'd already stayed in Brighton, now it was London for Andy, all we needed to complete the theme was a Birmingham for Priesty. London didn't look like much. Our Econo-Lodge was next to a titty bar named Beef Baron, on a desolate road occupied mainly by auto shops and used car lots. It was midnight and we were all famished. A short, brisk walk later and we'd found a Pizza joint called Stobie's and proceeded to stuff big, doughy slices of pizza down our gullets. Minutes later we were fed and felt like capable humans again. We took a couple of cabs back to the hotel and some of us (I wont say who) ventured into the titty bar, purely to drink the beer of course.

fuck, I would have put them up, but not done a table dance.... Gotta say they stayed in the shittiest whore and Hell's Angel/Crack dealer motel in the town.

We'd already stayed in Brighton, now it was London for Andy, all we needed to complete the theme was a Birmingham for Priesty. London didn't look like much.

the brighton they are referring to is brighton, co - i learned from their blog... and i gotta tell you, it's not much either. i hope whatever birmingham they find makes up for the brightons and londons of north america. :lol

so two of my favourite members get their Blogs quoted on the brakes main page.

http://www.brakesbrakesbrakes.com/

Mystik Spiral Brakes are one of those bands that I like to think of as "mine". I enjoyed every last drop...

Vancouver Straight It's always a good night when you walk away from a show with a new favourite band. Brakes have a great deal of energy, personality, and humour.

Finest Kiss Easily shifting mood from Heard About Your Band's smart-ass punk to the beauty of No Return.

Easily Fooled They kicked up the intensity as needed. Just as important they seemed to be having a good time.

NME Headliners Brakes charmed the crowd and whipped audience members into a dance frenzy with their pop-punk anthems and country-tinged numbers.

and both are above whatever NME says.

and then from the notes from the road section:

Notes From the Road: Part 4

When we found out that two of our fave indie bands were going on tour together, we begged them to send us a few emails from the road. Nate Martinez, Pela's guitarist, and Eamon Hamilton who does vocals and guitars for brakesbrakesbrakes graciously consented to bring us along on the ride! Check out the first three installments here, and read on for brakebrakesbrakes' take on Canada!

Where are you guys right now? Good place to visit?

We're in Toronto at Lee's Palace. Heard good things about this place and so far it doesn't disappoint. It's definitely a beautiful city from what I've seen so far