I know many folks don't dig the "alt country" label but I'm curious what other bands come to mind....

other than

Gram Parsons

Neil Young

Bruce Springsteen (some of his songs)

Wilco

Whiskeytown

Ryan Adams

Also, one of my favorites even before I knew I liked this genre was Elvis Costello's Almost Blue (1981, I think; did this have any influence at all in this evolution?).

Mucho thanks.

:yes

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I'm old school, but do not forget the original recipe: The New Riders of the Purple Sage. :music

Gram Parsons

I think Gram Parsons just made country music, actually. At least in solo. He was more alternative with The Flying Burrito Brothers (which I may prefer to Gram and the Byrds, by the way).

I have the latest GP and Grievous Angel reissues (as a splendid box), there's an interview among the bonus tracks, where Gram explains he doesn't understand the term "country-rock" (for example), that to him, he just makes country music. He also says that he doesn't mind of genres and that there is just good and bad music...

Blue Mountain

Freakwater

Old 97s

The Bottle Rockets

The Jayhawks

What he said...alot of what people are calling alt.country is either rock or country (The Carter Family alt.country?? I think not...Johnny Cash??...as country as it gets unless you count the American Recordings material.)

Bruce, Neil, Gram etc. are certainly not alt.country. Nor is Big Star even close to alt.country. And with all due respect to my buddy Mountain Bed, New Riders was country rock, a great genre that flourished in the 70s along with Poco and a bunch of other great bands and not so great bands. Alt country didn't really come around until the late 80s or even early 90s.

For more alt.country, but what is also called insurgent country, check out the Bloodshot catalogue and the very fun Waco Brothers. Check out some of the Mekons mid 80s stuff too.

LouieB

Stewboss - Sweet Lullabye

Chuck Prophet - No Other Love

Endrick Brothers - Attraction Vs Love

Richmond Fontaine - Post To Wire

The Tailors - S/T

Peter Bruntnell - Ends Of The Earth

All great alt country / americana, whatever you wanna call it.

What he said...alot of what people are calling alt.country is either rock or country (The Carter Family alt.country?? I think not...Johnny Cash??...as country as it gets unless you count the American Recordings material.)

Bruce, Neil, Gram etc. are certainly not alt.country. Nor is Big Star even close to alt.country. And with all due respect to my buddy Mountain Bed, New Riders was country rock, a great genre that flourished in the 70s along with Poco and a bunch of other great bands and not so great bands. Alt country didn't really come around until the late 80s or even early 90s.

For more alt.country, but what is also called insurgent country, check out the Bloodshot catalogue and the very fun Waco Brothers. Check out some of the Mekons mid 80s stuff too.

LouieB

We've had this talk before - and it comes down to the label deal. When I think of alt.county, I too, think of the late 80s-mid 90s bands that I discovered. As I have said before - I did not really mess with any new music until I discovered this stuff.

We've had this talk before - and it comes down to the label deal. When I think of alt.county, I too, think of the late 80s-mid 90s bands that I discovered. As I have said before - I did not really mess with any new music until I discovered this stuff.
A-man and I are in agreement on this. For me finding UT, the Bottle Rockets and the Jayhawks (and the Waco Brothers) was a great discovery. I was still following some bands, but this was a very exciting development for me musically.

LouieB