Okkervil River - The Stage Names

I saw them at ATP over the weekend - they're turning into Bright Eyes - the set contained mostly new stuff and it didn't have, imo, the energy or bite, live at least, of Black Sheep Boy. I didn't get to see the whole set as Wilco was one, but still, they were a bit of a disappointment.

I saw them at ATP over the weekend - they're turning into Bright Eyes - the set contained mostly new stuff and it didn't have, imo, the energy or bite, live at least, of Black Sheep Boy. I didn't get to see the whole set as Wilco was one, but still, they were a bit of a disappointment.

That's strange, people usually rave about their live show, and at least the one I saw last fall was excellent.

Saw them about 2 months ago with strings and horns and it was fantastic.

New record should be really good.

Saw them about 2 months ago with strings and horns and it was fantastic.

New record should be really good.

No strings or horns at the ATP show, perhaps that'a what it missed. They just sounded like a regular Americana band, lots of guitars with some occassion keyboards...

• 1 month later...

First listen impressions:

Doesn't have the same atmosphere as BSB, but it seems like the songwriting is still there.

A lot of big guitars

John Allyn Smith Sails is a pretty cool song...wait, what did they just do there in the second half? haha that came out of nowhere (i won't ruin it for those who haven't listened yet).

Time to listen again :thumbup

i think it's great. most definintely a different atmosphere than bsb... lighter, it would seem, even though some of the subject matter is still pretty dark. the lyrics are okkervil river quality, and will sheff has never sounded better, imo.

i am LOVING john allyn smith sails - the whole song... :yes

Anyone hear anything about when and where they might be touring? I imagine dates will be announced any day now.

07-14 Concord, NH - Capitol Center for the Arts (Sneakers and Speakers benefit)

07-15 Providence, RI - Jake's Bar and Grille

09-03 San Diego, CA - Casbah

09-04 Los Angeles, CA - Troubadour

09-05 San Francisco, CA - Independent

09-08 Portland, OR - Berbati's Pan (MusicFest NW)

09-09 Vancouver, British Columbia - Richard's on Richards

09-10 Seattle, WA - Neumos

09-13 Denver, CO - Marquee Theater

09-14 Omaha, NE - Waiting Room

09-15 Iowa City, IA - Picador

09-18 Chicago, IL - Logan Square Auditorium

09-19 Urbana, IL - The Canopy Club (Pygmalion Festival)

09-21 Toronto, Ontario - Lee's Palace

09-22 Hamilton, Ontario - Pepper Jack's Caf

I'm so happy they are still playing the Iron Horse, stick to the small clubs boys! :thumbup

i'm assuming that by marquee theatre they are meaning denver's marquis theatre, which holds about 300. :thumbup i'm so excited.

i'm on a total OR kick right now... can't stop listening to all their stuff. right now it's "overboard and down" ep. so good. and, i still can't get past how amazing "plus ones" is from the new one.

Unless It's Kicks sounds like a Strokes song...

Agreed. I'm halfway in, and I think the spot I saved for Okkervil on my top ten just became available again.

i can't overstate how much i am loving The Stage Names. i have listened to it no less than 13 tmies since it leaked on saturday, no joke. Unless It's Kicks, Plus Ones & John Allyn Smith Sails are especially amazing. :music

i love this band & i'm certain this one will be in my top ten too.

i'm on a total OR kick right now... can't stop listening to all their stuff. right now it's "overboard and down" ep. so good. and, i still can't get past how amazing "plus ones" is from the new one.

I agree with you. "Overboard" is an amazing and chilling EP......from the naive innocence of "The President's Dead" to the creepy and great vocal performance on the live "Westfall" (the little "ha-ha" before he sings "she ain't coming back again" sends chills down my back). It even has a nice Big Star cover.

You should check out the other EP's....."Sleep and Wake-Up Songs" and "Black Sheep Boy Appendix".

"Wake-Up Songs" includes a great, great tune called No Hidden Track and Black Sheep Boy Appendix EP is a MUST if you like the Black Sheep Boy LP.

I cannot wait to hear this new record....I'm hoping the band posts some more songs on their website.

I am loving this album, can't stop playing it!

Plus Ones must be one of the finest songs of this year.

Found it on songmeanings.net after someone earlier in this thread mentioned it had a cool referrence, well it seems as though it has many great referrences. Such a clever song, and what a corker of an album.

• 1 month later...