...it kills me EVERYTIME :(

I hardly ever watch this show anymore, so weird that I caught it tonight...a lot of heart strings were pulled...

Love the song, though it sometimes seems overused as background music for tv/movies. I can't place exactly which places I've heard it, so I'm not sure if that's a true statement about it being overplayed or if it just seems this way because I've seen Shrek 3000 times with my kids. :unsure

John Cale's version is in the first Shrek movie (but Buckley's version is on the soundtrack).

i thought it was rufus wainwright's version that was on the soundtrack.

this is a great song. but for christsakes why does every TV show need to use it everytime they need to have an emotional scene.

There are millions of songs out there, note to all producers find some more.

this is a great song. but for christsakes why does every TV show need to use it everytime they need to have an emotional scene.

There are millions of songs out there, note to all producers find some more.

I hope you haven't had to watch the show Grey's Anatomy. When the wife watches it I stay in the bedroom, but I always know when it's close to being over as a sappy song comes on as they are wrapping up the sophisticated emotional webs that the show weaves :ermm

:yes Great soundtrack.

that movie is where I first heard a few seconds of Keith Richards performing "Nearness of You," which eventually became the first song the wife and I danced to at our wedding reception (performed by the wedding band, sadly not Keith Richards). Eventually I emailed the guy who recorded the tune with Keith in the studio and he was nice enough to send me a copy of it.

that movie is where I first heard a few seconds of Keith Richards performing "Nearness of You," which eventually became the first song the wife and I danced to at our wedding reception (performed by the wedding band, sadly not Keith Richards). Eventually I emailed the guy who recorded the tune with Keith in the studio and he was nice enough to send me a copy of it.

I remember that story - very nice.

John Cale's version is in the first Shrek movie (but Buckley's version is on the soundtrack).

I think this is the strangest thing ever. Why did they do that and not give Cale the dough?? Clearly he okayed the movie version, whynot the soundtrack?

Actually I believe Cale was the first to cover this song (with somewhat different lyrics) and start the entire Hallellujah craze.

LouieB

I still remember the first time I heard it on the movie. My oldest daughter and her cousins were watching it while I was bathing my youngest daughter, I had up until that time ONLY heard Buckley's version. I remember I stopped washing her hair and I was moved...literally and emotionally...I ran to see what was going on and started to tear up a bit.

As for it being overplayed, I'm glad I don't hear it a lot.

Buckley, as well as Wilco, were introduced to me by an ex-boyfriend (lost soulmate, at that) and all of their music just means so much more to me...

and although it kills me everytime

DITTO, DITTO, DITTO...

I still remember the first time I heard it on the movie. My oldest daughter and her cousins were watching it while I was bathing my youngest daughter, I had up until that time ONLY heard Buckley's version. I remember I stopped washing her hair and I was moved...literally and emotionally...I ran to see what was going on and started to tear up a bit.
John Cale is no slouch either.

LouieB

John Cale is no slouch either.

LouieB

Actually, I was moved by the song, in general. It might be small-minded of me, but since Buckley was my first it means the most. :wub I couldn't imagine WHO else would be singing "his song" (or so I thought it was HIS at the time).

I will try and find Cale's version, tho. I may be small-minded at times but I am quite open-minded most of the time :D